2021 NHL Draft Rankings

Brawndo

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

As a guy who wants Eklund, the decisive separation Power seems to created in the minds of some scouting departments would be something I’m trying to leverage.

What would Seattle or Anaheim be willing to offer in order to switch spots?

I might trade first overall for Zegras. Would the Ducks trade Zegras for Power?

No.  

9 hours ago, dudacek said:

@Thorny, wondering if you think there is any chance the Sabres take anyone other than Power?

Thinking back to your posts on how the consensus #1 prospect seems to always get picked there once the consensus is arrived at. As much as @LGR4GM may still feel otherwise, Power has arrived as the industry consensus #1. You can’t reasonably argue otherwise when all 10 head scouts polled by McKenzie ranked him 1st.

Well,” said one scout, “the only rationale I can see for taking anyone other than Power at No. 1 is because you’re a team that really wants or needs a forward more than a defenceman. Because if you don’t care about position or you want a defenceman, Power should be the guy.”

The scout added that if a team is taking a forward at No. 1, the top three candidates would be, in no particular order: Beniers, because he’s the most complete centre in the draft; Eklund, because his energy and skill level give him enormous upside; and Guenther, because he has the tools to be a first-line scoring winger in the NHL.

But make no mistake, the consensus No. 1 in this draft is Power. It’s clear-cut and unanimous on TSN’s list.

I know you are not asking me but I still defer back to the 70% thing. I'd guess about 20-25 teams have Power as their  #1 and then there are 7-12 teams that have someone else. The question is where do the Sabres fall?

• Like (+1) 1

This is a 15 segment with John Shannon from NHL Insider on WGR. He talks about the draft and some other topics. He has Power as the best player in this draft. He talks about some upper tier prospects. After listening to many analysts I am more resolute that the Sabres should take Power with the first pick. It has gotten way beyond the tipping point to the degree that I am irretrievable. 

https://www.audacy.com/wgr550/authors/howard-and-jeremy

• Like (+1) 2

Without a full year of stats I don't feel confident as I should in these rankings. No, stats are not the be all or end all but they help you found underrated gems such as Tristen Robins. Anyways without anymore teasing... because Hoss will explode... here is Liger's 2021 NHL Draft List. 

2021_Draft.pdf

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 3

Very cool, thanks Liger. Honestly with all the effort you put into this, why not throw a resume/email at a team/analytics guy?

Edit : Can you give 1 guy in the 1st teams will draft that you absolutely hate, and 1 guy in the 2nd that teams should take higher than he'll go?

Edited by WildCard
  • Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, dudacek said:

@Thorny, wondering if you think there is any chance the Sabres take anyone other than Power?

Thinking back to your posts on how the consensus #1 prospect seems to always get picked there once the consensus is arrived at. As much as @LGR4GM may still feel otherwise, Power has arrived as the industry consensus #1. You can’t reasonably argue otherwise when all 10 head scouts polled by McKenzie ranked him 1st.

Well,” said one scout, “the only rationale I can see for taking anyone other than Power at No. 1 is because you’re a team that really wants or needs a forward more than a defenceman. Because if you don’t care about position or you want a defenceman, Power should be the guy.”

The scout added that if a team is taking a forward at No. 1, the top three candidates would be, in no particular order: Beniers, because he’s the most complete centre in the draft; Eklund, because his energy and skill level give him enormous upside; and Guenther, because he has the tools to be a first-line scoring winger in the NHL.

But make no mistake, the consensus No. 1 in this draft is Power. It’s clear-cut and unanimous on TSN’s list.

Don't think I'm going to back down from that one this far in, I do think Power will be the guy at 1. I definitely think there's a chance it's someone else, but that was always an against the odds proposition and to my mind if anything it's a little bit more "locked in" than before - but that's only my perception: as you hit on it was about the rarity of the consensus guy not going 1, and the consensus has strengthened. That's my view from this vantage point - If Adams has someone else in mind, all the rest is a bit irrelevant 

• Thanks (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, WildCard said:

Very cool, thanks Liger. Honestly with all the effort you put into this, why not throw a resume/email at a team/analytics guy?

Edit : Can you give 1 guy in the 1st teams will draft that you absolutely hate, and 1 guy in the 2nd that teams should take higher than he'll go?

Because I don't have the statistical background they want. I really use a hybrid approach of numbers, text, and video to compile this. 

• Like (+1) 2

10 hours ago, dudacek said:

As a guy who wants Eklund, the decisive separation Power seems to created in the minds of some scouting departments would be something I’m trying to leverage.

What would Seattle or Anaheim be willing to offer in order to switch spots?

I might trade first overall for Zegras. Would the Ducks trade Zegras for Power?

If you are arguing giving up our first pick for Zegras without getting Anaheim's pick I say absolutely not. That wouldn't make sense at all. If you are suggesting exchanging first round picks while getting Zegras I still say no. The best approach is to select Power and then see what you can get for Jack. If it doesn't reach the level of fair-value then just keep Jack. 

Let's keep it simple, be smart and take Power. Overthinking an issue is not the smartest way to act. @dudacek, you are starting to chase a goose and it is getting away from you. Why get invovled in a goose chase when the obvious thing to do is right in front of you?

1 guy I don't want in round 1: Simon Edvinsson and I have tried to like him but the mistakes he makes really bother me. Other guy is Sasha Pastujov who I love the numbers on but if you watch and read, there are some flags about most of it translating. 

1 guy in the 2nd: Ville Koivunen or Olen Zellweger. I think Koivunen going in the 2nd is more likely as Zellweger might sneak in. Koivunen was atop the j20 in points pretty much as a rookie and the only knock on him is speed but he's really under weight (because he's super young). Koivunen did have a good line mate in Tuuomala but he's just a solid team guy who can slide into your top 6 and make everyone around him better. If he gets faster, he's going to be a really good 2nd round steal. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, JohnC said:

If you are arguing giving up our first pick for Zegras without getting Anaheim's pick I say absolutely not. That wouldn't make sense at all. If you are suggesting exchanging first round picks while getting Zegras I still say no. The best approach is to select Power and then see what you can get for Jack. If it doesn't reach the level of fair-value then just keep Jack. 

Let's keep it simple, be smart and take Power. Overthinking an issue is not the smartest way to act. @dudacek, you are starting to chase a goose and it is getting away from you. Why get invovled in a goose chase when the obvious thing to do is right in front of you?

First pick for Zegras is a no brainer IMO. I believe Zegras ranks on a higher tier and beyond that, he's further ahead in development. Leaving that aside though...

I'm actually pretty surprised to hear you say you wouldn't swap 1 for 3 and add Zegras in the process. Really? You'd rather have Power than Zegras and Beniers/Eklund?

Edited by Thorny

1 minute ago, Thorny said:

First pick for Zegras is a no brainer IMO. I believe Zegras ranks on a higher tier and beyond that, he's further ahead in development. Leaving that aside though...

I'm actually pretty surprised to hear you say you wouldn't swap 1 for 3 and add Zegras in the process. Really? You'd rather have Power than Zegras and Beniers/Eklund?

Add me to the shocked list as well. Jumping to make that deal.

23 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

1 guy I don't want in round 1: Simon Edvinsson and I have tried to like him but the mistakes he makes really bother me. Other guy is Sasha Pastujov who I love the numbers on but if you watch and read, there are some flags about most of it translating. 

1 guy in the 2nd: Ville Koivunen or Olen Zellweger. I think Koivunen going in the 2nd is more likely as Zellweger might sneak in. Koivunen was atop the j20 in points pretty much as a rookie and the only knock on him is speed but he's really under weight (because he's super young). Koivunen did have a good line mate in Tuuomala but he's just a solid team guy who can slide into your top 6 and make everyone around him better. If he gets faster, he's going to be a really good 2nd round steal. 

My issue with Pastujov was only that pick224 has team USA numbers botched, and I'm not willing to wade through box scores to figure it out. I don't expect to get Zellweger, and Koivunen is even less likely, but my model likes them both fine.

Just now, rakish said:

My issue with Pastujov was only that pick224 has team USA numbers botched, and I'm not willing to wade through box scores to figure it out. I don't expect to get Zellweger, and Koivunen is even less likely, but my model likes them both fine.

Add my list to mom's basement stakes and if you have my 2020 list please send that to me. 

2 minutes ago, Thorny said:

I wouldn't give up our first for Zegras because there is a potential for getting another top shelf young player and keeping the pick. As an example if a deal is made with the Rangers maybe Lafreniere might be included or if a deal is made with LA maybe Turcotte or Byfield could be included with us still keeping the pick. 

With a little more thought I would be receptive to swapping picks with Anaheim to acquire Zegras. But from Anaheim's perspective it would make little sense. So it is very unlikely. At this point if you asked me if I would trade Jack to Anaheim for Zegras and 3OA I would say yes. 

As I have stated before the more I read about Power from a number of sources the more I am committed to taking unless there are some unexpected enticing offers which I don't expect. 

Nope, this is last year, Button got Devon Levi in 6th round.

Sabres: Quinn 8,Peterka 34,Matteo Costantini 131,Albert Lyckasen 193,Jakub Konecny 216
42jerks: Rossi,Mysak,Ronan Seeley,Michal Gut,Ethan Cardwell
McKenzie: Perfetti,Peterka,Brett Berard,Pashin,Oliver Suni
Button: Perfetti,Pourier,Pashin,Devon Levi,Pavel Tyutnev
Pronman: Perfetti,Gunler,Connor McClennon,Pavel Gogolev,Ivan Didkovskiy
Wheeler: Rossi,Gunler,Veeti Miettinen,Alexander Pashin,James Hardie
rakish: Rossi,Grans,Rory Kerins,Florian Elias,Eric Juhlin

2 hours ago, JohnC said:

I think Zegras is probably a better player than Power and will have a better career.

I think he definitely fills a greater need for an Eichel-less, Reino-less Sabres.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.