Buffalo Bills: 2020-2021

WildCard

37 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I don’t want to play Cleveland or Tenn.  We couldn’t tackle Taylor how are we going to tackle Chubb or Henry?

Give me Cleveland all day.

That means the Bills beat the Baltimore-Nashville winner & Mayfield got past Mahomes somehow. 😉

• Like (+1) 2

10 minutes ago, drnkirishone said:

Am I the only one watching the tampa/washington game? tyler heinicke is impressing

We're still in the 3rd (had it taping during the scrimmage), so hoping this means the game gets better.  Because as of 1/2 way through the 3rd, he has not been.  (But NO SPOILERS! 😉 )

18 minutes ago, Taro T said:

We're still in the 3rd (had it taping during the scrimmage), so hoping this means the game gets better.  Because as of 1/2 way through the 3rd, he has not been.  (But NO SPOILERS! 😉 )

No spoilers. But I disagree with you, he has been surprisingly good during the parts you have already watched. the man was the Covid replacement QB (3rd or 4th).

not saying he is starter QB good. But imho he is playing far above expected performance for a 3/4 qb

Edited by drnkirishone

36 minutes ago, drnkirishone said:

Am I the only one watching the tampa/washington game? tyler heinicke is impressing

Been watching bits here and there.  He does look pretty good out there and comfortable.  Watching a 7-9 team formerly known as a different name playing against a TB team led by TB in the playoffs is pretty bizarre to me.

3 minutes ago, drnkirishone said:

No spoilers. But I disagree with you, he has been surprisingly good during the parts you have already watched. the man was the Covid replacement QB (3rd or 4th).

not saying he is starter QB good. But imho he is playing far above expected performance for a 3/4 qb

Being better than the WR Denver played at QB shouldn't be considered "surprisingly good" IMHO.  Being bad, but not awful, doesn't equate good.  (Not even "surprisingly" good except in a very backhanded complimentary way.)

4 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Being better than the WR Denver played at QB shouldn't be considered "surprisingly good" IMHO.  Being bad, but not awful, doesn't equate good.  (Not even "surprisingly" good except in a very backhanded complimentary way.)

how about better compared to Bills QB between Bledsoe and Allen

Some Bills thoughts:

1) Won despite playing not playing well as a team. 
On defense.  We gave up 150+ yards on 27 carries (almost 5.7 yds per carry)to their top 2 running backs. Ours gained 40.  We got little pressure on Rivers and when we blitzed he torched our zone coverage.  We couldn’t cover their tight ends. They converted 14 or 16 tight end targets for 136 yards and a TD.  Ultimately On the positive front. The Defense made a goal-line stop in the first half and stopped the last drive to preserve the win.  I worry that our 4-2-5 scheme isn’t cut out for playoff football.  I would have liked seeing more of 3 linebackers in the game to stop the run.

On special teams and field position battle. We failed, especially in the first half to get a punt or kick return that helped us flip the field for the offense.  During the season Roberts and our punter often made such plays to set up the offense or take pressure off our defense.  On the other hand their punter pinned us deep multiple times.  1st half starting field position:  Our 3, 15, 11, 6, and 4.  Allen magic turned 2 of those possessions into touchdowns. On the positive: Bass is developing into a excellent kicker who can be relied on critical situations.  Set a rookie playoff record with his perfect 54 yrd kick.  The GA Southern kicker our played his UGA rival and was ultimately the difference in the game.  

On Offense:  Diggs and Gabriel Davis were excellent.  Allen stats were excellent, but the offense didn’t feel right most of the game.  Our two running backs only gained 40 or so yards.  Allen beat them both with 54.  We had terrible field position in the first half which lead to 3 3 and outs.  Failing to move the ball at all on those drives gave Indy great field position.  We also failed to put the game away in the second half. Up 24-10, we only got 3 pts in our next two drives.  We did put up nearly 400 yards on offense.

On the positive:  This was one our most disciplined games penalty wise all season and we found a way to win despite giving up nearly 500 yards, losing the field position battle, and the time of possession battle.

Bottomline:  No matter who we play next week we have to be better and I think we will be.  This team had a ton of pressure on it to win the franchises 1st home playoff game in a qtr century and they played like it.  With this win under their belt I think they’ll be much more relaxed next week and be closer to the team we saw in the last 6 weeks of the regular season.  

1 hour ago, carpandean said:

FubleMissedCall.thumb.jpg.4e30683a5e22a3ee13787f02b350588a.jpg

3:38-3:58. Watch at 0.25x speed. Still glad it didn't matter.

Edit: ESPN wants it played in YouTube.

They blew the call, which I grant them was a difficult call. However they also blew the replay where there was conclusive evidence to overturn the call.  NFL should have the guts to say they screwed up but they don’t.

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

They blew the call, which I grant them was a difficult call. However they also blew the replay where there was conclusive evidence to overturn the call.  NFL should have the guts to say they screwed up but they don’t.

Yeah, I'm not going to fault anyone for blowing a call in real time that took frame-by-frame analysis to show what actually happened.  I will blame them for not acting on that frame-by-frame when it conclusively shows that they were wrong.

• Like (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, carpandean said:

Yeah, I'm not going to fault anyone for blowing a call in real time that took frame-by-frame analysis to show what actually happened.  I will blame them for not acting on that frame-by-frame when it conclusively shows that they were wrong.

Other than that head scratcher, I thought the refs were really good the whole game. There was holding and PI by both sides but they called it evenly. There was holding, as there usually is, by both lines, but they called it evenly. I didn’t really even have a problem with the clock thing, once explained.

13 minutes ago, inkman said:

I don’t know what happened in my life to change me from old curmudgeonly complaining ahole but I’m glad I can just appreciate the win and be happy.  Sheesh.  

I imagine you would feel much differently had we needed up losing.

Edited by SwampD

59 minutes ago, inkman said:

I would feel the opposite I feel now.  I wouldn’t be complaining about every last thing associated with the game.  Life’s short.  Enjoy what ya got. 

28 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Yeah, was oddly calm during that last drive.  Sucks getting old.  😉

Several times during the game yesterday and during that drive, I found myself with a huge smile on my face.

• Like (+1) 1

50 minutes ago, carpandean said:

So, it looks like we get the Steelers if they win or the Ravens if the Browns somehow pull the upset.

Bummer. Was hoping Allen would be the only QB from his class to win this weekend so that he'd be the 1st to win a playoff game on more than just a technicality.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.