Is NHL point streak rule dumb?

PASabreFan

Good snippet from a Philly fish wrapper:

The NHL is a Mickey Mouse league, Part Infinity
Eichel entered Thursday having scored at least a point in 17 consecutive games, one shy of the Sabres’ record. But according to NHL rules, such streaks are marked by the particular team’s games, not the player’s. So by missing Thursday’s game, Eichel ended his streak.
This, to put it mildly, is lunacy. Under Major League Baseball’s rules, Joe DiMaggio didn’t have to play in 56 consecutive games to compile his hitting streak. He just had to get a hit in the 56 straight games in which he played. Such individual achievements and story lines are what make sports fun and interesting to follow on a daily basis. But then, from its convoluted standings system and playoff alignment to its inconsistency in the enforcement of its own rules and infractions, the NHL is always making things harder on itself.

https://www.inquirer.com/flyers/travis-konecny-philadelphia-flyers-buffalo-sabres-jack-eichel-20191220.html

Edited by PASabreFan

No, and here's why:  If a player is on a streak and trying to break a record or something, and they have a particularly tough opponent on the schedule, they could skip that game to increase their odds of breaking the record.

I'm as disappointed as anyone, but the rule is a good rule.

15 minutes ago, shrader said:

Why is it even an official stat?  Ultimately, it's not really all that important.  With or without this team games played vs. personal games played, it really doesn't change anything.

This should be every post in this thread.

3 hours ago, shrader said:

Why is it even an official stat?  Ultimately, it's not really all that important.  With or without this team games played vs. personal games played, it really doesn't change anything.

In today's analytical world? How many pull-ups can you do? How many times a player had to turn his head and cough in the last week? And, what's the teams record during the annual parents trip? What's the difference between tough and physical? Did the NHL get the point streak rules right? What do you mean by "you guys"? How many snowflakes fell yesterday? They're all important.

Oh, and because Buffalo...the NHL will stick by this rule and it will become the "Eichel Rule". I still contend that Rayzor was gentle soul and only trying to give Domi the shirt off his back, LOL

Edited by MakeSabresGrr8Again
  • Haha (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Doohickie said:

No, and here's why:  If a player is on a streak and trying to break a record or something, and they have a particularly tough opponent on the schedule, they could skip that game to increase their odds of breaking the record.

If a player is on a say, 17 game point streak and they're going up a really good team, I'd hope that the fact that they're on a 17 game point streak would be enough confidence to not wuss out like that. "Sorry coach, sit me for this one, I'm not feeling it". I have trouble believing anyone would pull that.

Yeah it's a dumb rule, but whatever. If Jack goes out and gets a point next game it will still be 18 consecutive games played with a point (and counting). Who cares what the official record book says as long as he continues to produce?

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Mustache of God said:

If a player is on a say, 17 game point streak and they're going up a really good team, I'd hope that the fact that they're on a 17 game point streak would be enough confidence to not wuss out like that. "Sorry coach, sit me for this one, I'm not feeling it". I have trouble believing anyone would pull that.

Yeah it's a dumb rule, but whatever. If Jack goes out and gets a point next game it will still be 18 consecutive games played with a point (and counting). Who cares what the official record book says as long as he continues to produce?

It's obvious that we just need Jack after last nights debacle.

6 hours ago, Doohickie said:

No professional athlete would skip a game because of a tough opponent...anyone who truly thinks that is crazy and has never played sports.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.