2020 Draft Rankings Not Soon Enough...

North Buffalo

3 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

My instinct in this draft is to find the best scorer available to us when we draft.  Right now we would likely draft around 8-12.  Wisconsin’s Dylan’s Holloway is interesting. I’m also interested in Will Cuylle at Windsor.  He is also a May birthday.  On pace to have 30+ Goals in the OHL as a 17 year old.

I really don’t think that Dylan Holloway is that big time goal scorer that you are looking for.  I think he is a strong, good skating, 2-way winger with a high probability to be an NHL player, but with a relatively low probability of being a standout offensive producer.  Low risk-low reward kind of guy.

1 hour ago, Curt said:

I really don’t think that Dylan Holloway is that big time goal scorer that you are looking for.  I think he is a strong, good skating, 2-way winger with a high probability to be an NHL player, but with a relatively low probability of being a standout offensive producer.  Low risk-low reward kind of guy.

Are there any Rasmi in the draft or are we now gonna turn to drafting anyone with the name Dylan, LOL.

Here are my (uneducated) favorite prospects for Buffalo.  Listed (not necessarily in order) under the range I would draft them in.

1-5

Alexis Lafreniere 

Quinton Byfield 

Marco Rossi

5-10

Lucas Raymond

Tim Stutzle

Alexander Holtz

Anton Lundell 

10-20

Connor Zary

Jan Mysak

Dawson Mercer

Mavrik Bourque

Dylan Holloway

https://thehockeynews.com/news/article/2020-draft-rankings-how-the-world-junior-championship-shook-up-the-field

4. Lucas Raymond, RW, Frolunda (Swe.): Another player who was very impressive at the world juniors, Raymond was electric with the puck on his stick and showed well for the bronze-medal Swedes. Once again he had great chemistry with fellow Terror Twin Alex Holtz, but I felt that Raymond put a bit of distance between himself and Holtz.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/sportsnets-2020-nhl-draft-prospect-rankings-january/

2. Quinton Byfield, C, Sudbury Wolves (OHL): Not much of an opportunity to have an impact at the WJC, but still an excellent player who is essentially a year younger than Lafreniere.

3. Alexander Holtz, RW, Djugarden (SHL): Still underaged for playing at the WJC, but in competition against his peers Holtz is a standout with elite goal-scoring ability.

And of course my favorite late first early second round pick, Jake Neighbours. 

https://edmontonsun.com/sports/hockey/oil-kings-forward-jake-neighbours-likes-to-get-his-hands-dirty

Oil Kings coach Brad Lauer knows Neighbours is unique.

“That edge puts him out there from other guys draftable this year. But there’s still lots of skill to his game. He sees the ice really well, he can protect the puck. When he’s aggressive, that’s when he gets his opportunities. He understands that, but he’s only 17 and the learning curve is just starting for him,” said Lauer.

• Thanks (+1) 1

On 1/10/2020 at 7:54 AM, LGR4GM said:

And of course my favorite late first early second round pick, Jake Neighbours. 

https://edmontonsun.com/sports/hockey/oil-kings-forward-jake-neighbours-likes-to-get-his-hands-dirty

But of course, CHL players aren’t an option if we have a pick in that spot, so. 

What do the low-ceiling, USHL left-shot d-men look like in that area? Our bread and butter. 

Edited by Thorny

40 minutes ago, Reino23 said:

Rossi is a kid who i absolutely love. He's risen so much in the last year and continues to climb. Very impressive player. High IQ. Sabres would be very lucky to get a player like that IMO.

Too bad he didn’t play in the WJHC, Austria is not exactly a world power.

I thought he was Swiss, but that is where he played before the OHL.

1 hour ago, Reino23 said:

Rossi is a kid who i absolutely love. He's risen so much in the last year and continues to climb. Very impressive player. High IQ. Sabres would be very lucky to get a player like that IMO.

I totally agree with you on this.  I think he is my 3rd guy in the class.

In their draft year -

Conner McDavid   - 47GP 44G 76A 120pts  2.55 pts/ game

Marco Rossi   32GP 26G 48A 74pts   2.31 Pts/game

Mitch Marner    63GP 44g 82a 126PTS   2.00 Pts/game

Marco Rossi's Player Profile

Sam Cosentino - Sportsnet - Dec. 4th: "Some GMs will be cautious to draft a 5-foot-9 centre, but Rossi can literally do it all and his hockey IQ should allow him to do it all at the next level as well."

Will Scouch - Scouching.ca - Nov. 19th: "He's skilled, agile, plays hard, has swagger, and if he can rein in the legitimately troublesome moments he's had this year, he could be a tremendous player down the line."

Larry Fisher - The Hockey Writers - Nov. 19th: "Rossi has been lighting up the OHL as a speedster with terrific offensive instincts. He’s a smart player overall — a 200-foot contributor — but a real catalyst on the attack. He’s small but sturdy, so that lack of size shouldn’t hold him back."

Ryan Kennedy - The Hockey News - Nov. 10th: "The Austrian dynamo has superb skill and hockey sense, and also plays a responsible two-way game. Has an edge."

Tony Ferrari -Wings Nation - Nov. 4th: "Undersized forward who has great hands and a dangerous shot. He’s been suspended once this year for dirty play and has been close on at least one other occasion."

Scott Wheeler -The Athletic - Nov. 4th: "I can tell you, too, that he’s a thick 5-foot-9 with a crazy-low centre of gravity (both of which will help him stick at centre at the NHL level). And then the talent level speaks for itself. He’s not only extremely dynamic with the puck on his stick, he’s also a superb defensive player."

Chris Peters -ESPN - Oct. 22nd: "Some of the dirty stuff that he has been accused of this season doesn't help his game a ton, but when the puck is on his stick, it is undeniable that he has the skill to make an impact at the next level."

Corey Pronman -The Athletic - Oct. 15th: "He’s a very skilled and competitive offensive player who can attack defenses in numerous ways. He’s not the biggest player, though, and while he skates well, I wouldn’t call his speed elite for his size."

Sam Cosentino -Sportsnet - Oct. 2nd: "Has great details in his game, so even when he doesn’t produce he can still have an impact."

Craig Button -TSN - Sept. 16th: "Slick, skilled player who has the ability to attack offensively and be dangerous, but is evasive and dificult to mark. Can make the play or finish the play."

Cam Robinson - Dobber Prospects - Sept. 2nd: "One of the elder statesmen of the class gives up size but makes up for it in skill. Has the ability to drop-jaws with his puck skills. A duel-threat off of the rush or set up on the man-advantage. "

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Crusader1969 said:

In their draft year -

Conner McDavid   - 47GP 44G 76A 120pts  2.55 pts/ game

Marco Rossi   32GP 26G 48A 74pts   2.31 Pts/game

Mitch Marner    63GP 44g 82a 126PTS   2.00 Pts/game

Marco Rossi's Player Profile

Sam Cosentino - Sportsnet - Dec. 4th: "Some GMs will be cautious to draft a 5-foot-9 centre, but Rossi can literally do it all and his hockey IQ should allow him to do it all at the next level as well."

Will Scouch - Scouching.ca - Nov. 19th: "He's skilled, agile, plays hard, has swagger, and if he can rein in the legitimately troublesome moments he's had this year, he could be a tremendous player down the line."

Larry Fisher - The Hockey Writers - Nov. 19th: "Rossi has been lighting up the OHL as a speedster with terrific offensive instincts. He’s a smart player overall — a 200-foot contributor — but a real catalyst on the attack. He’s small but sturdy, so that lack of size shouldn’t hold him back."

Ryan Kennedy - The Hockey News - Nov. 10th: "The Austrian dynamo has superb skill and hockey sense, and also plays a responsible two-way game. Has an edge."

Tony Ferrari -Wings Nation - Nov. 4th: "Undersized forward who has great hands and a dangerous shot. He’s been suspended once this year for dirty play and has been close on at least one other occasion."

Scott Wheeler -The Athletic - Nov. 4th: "I can tell you, too, that he’s a thick 5-foot-9 with a crazy-low centre of gravity (both of which will help him stick at centre at the NHL level). And then the talent level speaks for itself. He’s not only extremely dynamic with the puck on his stick, he’s also a superb defensive player."

Chris Peters -ESPN - Oct. 22nd: "Some of the dirty stuff that he has been accused of this season doesn't help his game a ton, but when the puck is on his stick, it is undeniable that he has the skill to make an impact at the next level."

Corey Pronman -The Athletic - Oct. 15th: "He’s a very skilled and competitive offensive player who can attack defenses in numerous ways. He’s not the biggest player, though, and while he skates well, I wouldn’t call his speed elite for his size."

Sam Cosentino -Sportsnet - Oct. 2nd: "Has great details in his game, so even when he doesn’t produce he can still have an impact."

Craig Button -TSN - Sept. 16th: "Slick, skilled player who has the ability to attack offensively and be dangerous, but is evasive and dificult to mark. Can make the play or finish the play."

Cam Robinson - Dobber Prospects - Sept. 2nd: "One of the elder statesmen of the class gives up size but makes up for it in skill. Has the ability to drop-jaws with his puck skills. A duel-threat off of the rush or set up on the man-advantage. "

Just keep in mind that Marner was 8 months younger than Rossi in his draft year. Rossi is an interesting player. His height doesn't worry as much as his age. That said, if you watch him this year, you can see that he's got a ton of skill. I am not sold on his shot, needs more power. Still a very interesting prospect to watch the next 4 months. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.