2020 Draft Rankings Not Soon Enough...

North Buffalo

4 minutes ago, Crusader1969 said:

Want to solve the 2C problem quickly.   Raise your odds of getting this guy- 

I may be hesitant to even put Byfield in the NHL next season.  He will be 17 still on draft day and 18 for all of the 2020-21 season.  Super young, which frankly is part of the long term appeal.  He is probably going to fill out to be a 6’4” 230 lb monster of a man who is still a very good skater and a high skill, 2 way C.  However, his youth may work against him when it comes to being NHL ready from the get go.

I see your response about Buffalo getting a stop gap C, and I agree.

2 minutes ago, Crusader1969 said:

I’ve been watching a lot of Rossi and Perfetti lately. (7-9 slots)  However, with Hutton in net for the next month, its time to start paying attention to Stutzle and Raymond who are usually in the 3-6 range. 

Pretty confident we’ll draft 4-6 since we’ll finish bottom three and lose the lottery

11 hours ago, Crusader1969 said:

I’ve been watching a lot of Rossi and Perfetti lately. (7-9 slots)  However, with Hutton in net for the next month, its time to start paying attention to Stutzle and Raymond who are usually in the 3-6 range. 

I am focusing in on the top 10. I think there is a cutoff right now around 8-10 but we will have to wait until April to really see how things shake out. 

10 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Sad thing is I can easily see Botterill talking himself into Dylan Holloway while players like Raymond, Holtz, and Rossi are on the board. 

Nah, he like soft, skill only players with no heart or grit.  Are there any of those in this draft?

Also, I propose the title of this thread be changed from “....way too early”, to “....not soon enough”

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

There always are those types. That said, I will defend Botterill a little. He does not seem to draft a lot of soft skill guys. He seems to favor hard work and character over skill and perhaps grit. At least that is my reading of his drafts thus far. 

I agree.  It was a joke.

Hypothetical 

Sabres draft 5th. 

Top 2 go as expected, followed by Stutzle and Rossi (top 3 centres off the board)   Drysdale is sitting there .....

what do you do?   Seeing how Makar and Hughes have positively impacted their teams this season   Do you take him?   Pair him with Dahlin and in 2 years potentially have the one of the best top pairs in league

or do you take a winger?  Raymond, Perfetti or Holtz    

Or do you maybe draft a guy like Lundell (higher than ranked but fills need)  

assuming no one will trade the pick with you 

Edited by Crusader1969

34 minutes ago, Crusader1969 said:

Hypothetical 

Sabres draft 5th. 

Top 2 go as expected, followed by Stutzle and Rossi (top 3 centres off the board)   Drysdale is sitting there .....

what do you do?   Seeing how Makar and Hughes have positively impacted their teams this season   Do you take him?   Pair him with Dahlin and in 2 years potentially have the one of the best top pairs in league

or do you take a winger?  Raymond, Perfetti or Holtz    

Or do you maybe draft a guy like Lundell (higher than ranked but fills need)  

assuming no one will trade the pick with you 

Unless you believe the player you’re drafting is NHL ready (which I don’t believe anyone at five will be) and only slightly worse in prime potential, you take BPA. But we need help so maybe. 

12 hours ago, Crusader1969 said:

How about in 21-22?  
Need to get an experienced 2C next season 

You don't build a team for one year.   If you get Byfield and he is that good he plays, Cozens seems to be doing great as well.     Why clog up the center spine for an " experienced" 2C.

27 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

You don't build a team for one year.   If you get Byfield and he is that good he plays, Cozens seems to be doing great as well.     Why clog up the center spine for an " experienced" 2C.

Because you don’t want to force a young, unproven player into an important role that they may not be ready for.  If you do that with such an important role, and they fall flat, the whole team fails.  Have we not seen that over the past 2 seasons?  Let them show that they can handle 3C or start on the wing with spot duty at C.

It’s ok to bring in a reliable C.  If Cozens or whoever else shows they are ready, that Vet C can be shifted down to 3C or move to wing or traded.  It’s ok to have depth at C.

Edited by Curt

32 minutes ago, Curt said:

Because you don’t want to force a young, unproven player into an important role that they may not be ready for.  If you do that with such an important role, and they fall flat, the whole team fails.  Have we not seen that over the past 2 seasons?  Let them show that they can handle 3C or start on the wing with spot duty at C.

It’s ok to bring in a reliable C.  If Cozens or whoever else shows they are ready, that Vet C can be shifted down to 3C or move to wing or traded.  It’s ok to have depth at C.

Byfield might be Eichel level good, he'll be fine.

33 minutes ago, Curt said:

22 minutes ago, Gatorman0519 said:

You need a stop gap 2c for 2 years.  None of these kids should sniff it before then. Development is essential. 

I'll add to this, even blue chip prospects occassionally don't pan out for whatever reason.  You can't bank on them until they've proven they can handle the responsibilty.  We made this mistake with Mitts.  And Grig, and Girgs before him.

Get a known quantity 2C on the roster.  If it turns out we have more than one 2C capable then we have 1. depth and 2. a good, versatile player that can be moved to 2nd line wing.

We've seen time and again how valauble center depth is.  We can't have too many centers.  Get one for 2C from the outside and if Cozens and whoever is ready we have the makings of what we had with Drury, Briere, Roy, Connolly, Hecht.  And that turned out pretty well, really.

1 hour ago, Huckleberry said:

Byfield might be Eichel level good, he'll be fine.

Byfield will be 10 months younger than Eichel was if you start him in his first season. I'm not saying I send Byfield back to junior's but I'm not penciling him into a top 6 role either. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.