GDT: Tampa Bay Lightning at Buffalo Sabres. 12 January 2019 @ 7:00PM EST on MSG.

SABRES 0311

Just now, carpandean said:

The game against Carolina was far worse than this one.  The Sabres played well and had a very good chance of pulling one, if not two points.  Yes, they made some key mistakes and the refs didn't help, but I thought it was a good game against clearly the best team in the league.  It's only the context of the recent trend and coming off of that bad loss in Carolina that makes this feel like worse.

Yep.  Inexperienced teams play up or down to the competition they face.  Had they played yesterday like they played tonight, they would have beaten the Canes.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

I've watched it about 15 times now. His elbow is not up, so technically it's the wrong call. But the NHL doesn't allow head shots any more.

At the very least he should have had to go through concussion protocol if we get a penalty there. Didn't he score next shift ? I might be wrong on that.

3 minutes ago, inkman said:

Fans are always a problem.  At least in these parts. 

Seriously?  The only thing that Buffalo teams have going for them the last two decades is that there are still people who are interested in watching and discussing them.

• Like (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, ... said:

Just got home. Sounds like I missed a real doozy.

Another lead in the 3rd but blew it with sloppy play in our zone. 

Zebras took over in the  last  5 minutes. Some calls that were puzzling.  We had a power play, then a shaky call on Eichel, and they scored on a 4v4 to take the lead  

PP let us down again 

Edited by Pimlach

Just now, jad1 said:

Seriously?  The only thing that Buffalo teams have going for them the last two decades is that there are still people who are interested in watching and discussing them.

Dude didn’t post until page 13.  Comes in and calls us ***** for being pissed the Sabres are losing.  Who’s the *****?

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, MODO Hockey said:

Where youve watched this 15 times, u have a clip?

On my TV. I don't have the technical chops to post it. You might find it on YT soon, but I kind of doubt it.

5 minutes ago, SwampD said:

But apparently they allow embellishment.

The dude Larsson shoved? Sure. But it's part of the game. Larsson shouldn't have done it in the first place. The weird thing is the ref wasn't going to call it until the TB player did his deed.

2 minutes ago, Gatorman0519 said:

Well, we will find out everything about JBOT in the coming months.  I think he rides it out and wants to build through the draft.  This team is better, but probably not a playoff team yet. 

Agreed.  Hopefully this is our Ronnie Harmon year.

3 minutes ago, Gatorman0519 said:

Well, we will find out everything about JBOT in the coming months.  I think he rides it out and wants to build through the draft.  This team is better, but probably not a playoff team yet. 

When will players drafted this year be ready to contribute on a contending team? How old will Eichel be by then?

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, inkman said:

Fans are always a problem.  At least in these parts. 

After all this club has put me through in roughly 50 years, I tried not to chuckle, I really did...…….

But I understand. The season is still on going, and we are still in the mix. But to be realistic, at least, to some extent, the old adage of "what is the definition of insanity, doing the same the thing over and over again and expecting different results" has a real ring of truth to it.

If we are going to make the playoffs, either the players need to determine within themselves that it's going to happen, or Botterill needs to address the roster in such a way that players he may add determine it's going to happen.

I don't know, hard to say no to at least the playoffs, but I also don't want to sell any of the 1st's.

I can wait another season if we don't make it. But fans in general are getting a bit pissed, can't blame'em really.

• Like (+1) 3

Just now, PASabreFan said:

On my TV. I don't have the technical chops to post it. You might find it on YT soon, but I kind of doubt it.

The dude Larsson shoved? Sure. But it's part of the game. Larsson shouldn't have done it in the first place. The weird thing is the ref wasn't going to call it until the TB player did his deed.

Also on the Eichel “elbow”.

And Larsson didn’t crosscheck. That third was some pretty awful officiating.

Still think we would have lost if it was perfect, but it makes it even that much harder to watch.

• Like (+1) 1

When will players drafted this year be ready to contribute on a contending team? How old will Eichel be by then?

This is a good point.  When is it time to make that Gilmore or Stu Barnes type trade?  It feels like this season is a good time to do it.

3 minutes ago, SwampD said:

Also on the Eichel “elbow”.

And Larsson didn’t crosscheck. That third was some pretty awful officiating.

Still think we would have lost if it was perfect, but it makes it even that much harder to watch.

There was no embellishment on the Eichel hit. He didn't even see Jack coming.

This team often gives up a goal right after they score.  That is a fact.  Who is to blame?  The coach who puts the line on the ice or the players on the ice?  I feel like PH puts the wrong players on the ice after they score.  It happens too often to be coincidental.

There was no embellishment on the Eichel hit. He didn't even see Jack coming.

You mean once he realized what happened, he didn’t then held his head in his hands like he was dazed. Why didn’t he have to go to the quite room, then. He embellished. He would even say he embellished.

Edited by SwampD

Just now, Gatorman0519 said:

Yup...wasting the first part of Eichel's golden years... anyone drafted this year is likely 2-3 years from impact

depends on where we draft. if we don't make the playoffs, and St. Louis ends up at say the 11/12 slot, with San Jose sure to make it, we could be looking at anywhere from the 1st over all (our own pick, if we win the lottery) to the 15th over all, then St. Louis pick in that early teener pick and San Jose in the 20's. Not an entirely bad scenario, but those players won't be stepping until 2021/22 at the earliest, Jacks current contract will be roughly half over, and even then, that is IF those picks pan out.

No, I'm in agreement with those who post on getting it done now. There are deals that can be made, the question is, can Botterill make them? Is he capable of recognizing what is going on? My money is still on him, we shall see.

1 minute ago, jad1 said:

This is a good point.  When is it time to make that Gilmore or Stu Barnes type trade?  It feels like this season is a good time to do it.

Honestly what do we have in the stables?  Nylander? Oloffson?  Not seeing many game changers in our system to turn us into a contender.  JBot is going to have to go trade/FA market.  This team is a .500 type fringe organization long term if no moves are made.  It's a shame because we have a franchise center and D man and we still can't win.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.