Eichel Named to Top 10 in Atlantic Division

MakeSabresGrr8Again

• nfreeman changed the title to Eichel Named to Top 10 in Atlantic Division
28 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

Top 10 in the Atlantic -- so top 40 in the NHL?

Whoop-de-damn-do.

He was also named top 15 center in the league. After this season I hope his rankings will shoot way up.

And by the way....his ranking was #45 in the league which I expect will be higher also. But all a good start for being on the worst team all of his short/young career.

22 hours ago, Randall Flagg said:

I wonder how Eichel's 18-21year old NHL seasons rank within the division. Off the top of my head, the better players in that stretch are Stamkos, Karlsson, Matthews,

crickets

Is there anyone else?

1st overall pick, generational defenseman, 1st overall pick...not bad.

I think it's often underestimated how much of an accomplishment it was for Eichel to produce at such a high clip at such a young age. And what that could mean for the years to come. After reading your post, was looking at some of the early careers of Atlantic division stars, and stumbled across Brad Marchand, a player who has developed into one of the top offensive players in the game today. 

Marchand produced exactly 0 NHL points in his first 3 post draft seasons, being unable/unready to play in the NHL, and when he did start playing in the league, in his first 3 seasons (being 3 years older than Eichel by that time) scored 97 points and paced for 107. Eichel scored 177 and paced for 212.

Now obviously there are so many different factors at play, including where a prospect is drafted (Marchand was a 3rd round pick) and what each particular player's individual development curve looks like. But Eichel's early production is nothing short of a significant accomplishment given age, team, and league. 

• Like (+1) 2

16 minutes ago, Thorny said:

1st overall pick, generational defenseman, 1st overall pick...not bad.

I think it's often underestimated how much of an accomplishment it was for Eichel to produce at such a high clip at such a young age. And what that could mean for the years to come. After reading your post, was looking at some of the early careers of Atlantic division stars, and stumbled across Brad Marchand, a player who has developed into one of the top offensive players in the game today. 

Marchand produced exactly 0 NHL points in his first 3 post draft seasons, being unable/unready to play in the NHL, and when he did start playing in the league, in his first 3 seasons (being 3 years older than Eichel by that time) scored 97 points and paced for 107. Eichel scored 177 and paced for 212.

Now obviously there are so many different factors at play, including where a prospect is drafted (Marchand was a 3rd round pick) and what each particular player's individual development curve looks like. But Eichel's early production is nothing short of a significant accomplishment given age, team, and league. 

I've said a couple times, we aren't seeing anything close to 177 points in a Sabres player's first three post-draft seasons for a long time, in all likelihood. 

And without two people crumpling his ankles it would have been 210

• Like (+1) 2

Only 2 players drafted in 2012 have more NHL points than Eichel: Forsberg and Galchenyuk, despite three extra years.

Mackinnon had 25 fewer points over his first three seasons. Barkov 52 fewer.

Draisaitl and Pasternak are each a year older, but only 30 points ahead in overall scoring

He has 47 NHL points more than draft peer Marner and 92 more than draft peer Barzal.

And with 70, he is just behind Matthews 75 and Laine 71 in points per 82 games.

In context, Jack Eichel has certainly performed at an equal to or better rate than virtually any young player to enter the league in recent years, save McDavid.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, dudacek said:

Only 2 players drafted in 2012 have more NHL points than Eichel: Forsberg and Galchenyuk, despite three extra years.

Mackinnon had 25 fewer points over his first three seasons. Barkov 52 fewer.

Draisaitl and Pasternak are each a year older, but only 30 points ahead in overall scoring

He has 47 NHL points more than draft peer Marner and 92 more than draft peer Barzal.

And with 70, he is just behind Matthews 75 and Laine 71 in points per 82 games.

In context, Jack Eichel has certainly performed at an equal to or better rate than virtually any young player to enter the league in recent years, save McDavid.

Is this not what everybody expected, so we should not be surprised.  Very happy?  Sure.  The future looks bright for both teams, but both will have to do a good job of building around their respective superstars.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.