The "like" function

darksabre

I like it. I think it'll be a good way to acknowledge posts even if you don't have anything to respond with. Will probably go a long way towards encouraging new posters to keep posting. 

Can the owner of the post see who is liking/reacting, or is it anonymous?

• Like (+1) 6
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks (+1) 2

Ah. I’ll put this in my tips. 

So, this is part of a built in reputation system that I have only partly implemented. I decided to use it only in a positive sense. Some of the reactions (as they are called) give a member a point as a way to let other people know that over time a member makes a lot of positive community contributions. However, I have suppressed “top ten” lists that might create silly competitions.

One way that we will push for it to be used is to be able to give a thumbs up or thanks without creating a new post. I think that is useful and it helps keep  The signal up and the noise down. 

3 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

It appears to be anonymous here but isn't on TBD. 

I will look into that.  I went configuration setting by configuration last night trying to make them identical where desired. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Just now, N S said:

Related point ...

I noticed that the '+' thingie is back, sort of.

A members '+' rating is viewable, but I can't figure out if we can add to that, or not.

We debated the merits of the '+' thing and I think the general feeling was that it should be scrapped.

Point taken. After some tests and tweaks, it is working well on the Bills side. I’ve eliminated any incentive to play games with the feature. Now, it is simply a tally of posts that people have gone out of their way to either like or say thanks. There is no thumbs down. No reason to attack a poster. No artificial competitions. Just small acknowledgments. 

Ha.  But what I did not realize is that all of the previous tallies were kept from past iterations. I should probably just start fresh and make everyone go to zero. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, SDS said:

Point taken. After some tests and tweaks, it is working well on the Bills side. I’ve eliminated any incentive to play games with the feature. Now, it is simply a tally of posts that people have gone out of their way to either like or say thanks. There is no thumbs down. No reason to attack a poster. No artificial competitions. Just small acknowledgments. 

Ha.  But what I did not realize is that all of the previous tallies were kept from past iterations. I should probably just start fresh and make everyone go to zero. 

Cool.  It seems that the tally does not go up if you click the like botton, but maybe I am just not noticing.

• Like (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, N S said:

Cool.  It seems that the tally does not go up if you click the like botton, but maybe I am just not noticing.

You receive them incremented in your  tally when someone uses the reaction feature in a post. Either using the like button or the thanks button. I will do that on this post and you will see your number go up by one. 

1 minute ago, SDS said:

You receive them in commended tally when someone uses the reaction feature in a post. Either using the like button or the thanks button. I will do that on this post and you will see your number go up by one. 

Thanks.  Can I do that on my own posts ... ?

Didn't want to start a new thread on this, but I LIKE no pinned threads. No favoritism for a thread; let the posters decide what should be important and "trending."

1 minute ago, PASabreFan said:

Didn't want to start a new thread on this, but I LIKE no pinned threads. No favoritism for a thread; let the posters decide what should be important and "trending."

Maybe I'm blind or crazy, but now the pins are back. Sigh...

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, N S said:

Unrelated, but ...

It looks as if some of my posts are missing.  I am pretty sure that my post count earlier today was closer to 12,000 (11,800 some odd posts).  Have the mods been deleting the stupid ones?  ?

If so, they will be very busy.

All the stats are getting rebuilt in the background. So any deleted posts are getting deducted from totals. 

9 hours ago, darksabre said:

I like it. I think it'll be a good way to acknowledge posts even if you don't have anything to respond with. Will probably go a long way towards encouraging new posters to keep posting. 

Can the owner of the post see who is liking/reacting, or is it anonymous?

It is no longer anonymous.

• Like (+1) 1

I do wish they’d eliminate the numbers completely since it winds up as a d measuring contest. The system has grown on me over on TSW as a way of giving a quick nod to someone to acknowledge their comment. Sometimes I’ll ask a question that’s answered quickly and I like being able to grow a little nod in their direction without wasting time or space with a post. 

That said, I have no idea if there is any counter over here. I haven’t looked closely yet. 

2 minutes ago, shrader said:

I do wish they’d eliminate the numbers completely since it winds up as a d measuring contest. The system has grown on me over on TSW as a way of giving a quick nod to someone to acknowledge their comment. Sometimes I’ll ask a question that’s answered quickly and I like being able to grow a little nod in their direction without wasting time or space with a post. 

That said, I have no idea if there is any counter over here. I haven’t looked closely yet. 

It became a contest at TSW and then I removed all traces of a leader board. Without a measuring stick - that all went away. Haven't heard a complaint since.

51 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

I like the like feature, but it's a little clunky. If I'm sad or confused at the post, that's still a like? And it adds to the poster's "rep"? Can the options go — you just click on the thumbs up and that's it?

My understanding is that only like (thumbs up) and thanks (trophy) count towards the rep. I added a “confused” for your post and nothing went up. 

22 minutes ago, EichSnipe said:

My understanding is that only like (thumbs up) and thanks (trophy) count towards the rep. I added a “confused” for your post and nothing went up. 

This is correct.

FWIW, these are, for the most art, the default "Reactions" that come with the software and therefore are necessarily generic. I have the ability to add/delete/change them to better fit this community.

2 hours ago, SDS said:

This is correct.

FWIW, these are, for the most art, the default "Reactions" that come with the software and therefore are necessarily generic. I have the ability to add/delete/change them to better fit this community.

How much freedom do you have when it comes to changing them?  I get the feeling that you only get a specific list of images that you can use.  It'd be great if the trophy could be changed here to a Sabres logo and to a Bills logo on TSW.  I'm guessing that's not possible though.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, shrader said:

How much freedom do you have when it comes to changing them?  I get the feeling that you only get a specific list of images that you can use.  It'd be great if the trophy could be changed here to a Sabres logo and to a Bills logo on TSW.  I'm guessing that's not possible though.

I actually changed that trophy to the Lombardi and planned on making the one here the Stanley cup. I can make those images whatever I want as long as I can make it or find it. 

1 minute ago, SDS said:

I actually changed that trophy to the Lombardi and planned on making the one here the Stanley cup. I can make those images whatever I want as long as I can make it or find it. 

Cool.  Now that I think of it, I have seen the Lombardi over there all the time.  I never really understood what that reaction was supposed to mean though.

Just now, shrader said:

Cool.  Now that I think of it, I have seen the Lombardi over there all the time.  I never really understood what that reaction was supposed to mean though.

So, it is supposed to be thanks. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.