Breakout Candidates 2018-19

GASabresIUFAN

http://buffalonews.com/2018/05/07/bucky-gleason-any-chance-nhl-can-hold-expansion-draft-for-buffalo/

As usual Bucky doesn't get it.  I'm rooting for Vegas because of what they accomplished.  Bucky is right about one thing, LV is a bunch of blue collar guys that Buffalo fans would embrace.  

The way McPhee built the Knights is why I started this thread.  Why can't our GMs (DR, TM, Jbot) find those bargain players that aren't being properly utilized by other organizations and just need a chance to show what they could do?  Jbot tried with Baloo and although it hasn't worked out so far, I'm not going to criticize him for trying.  Frankly we need more such attempts. 

Where is our Marchessault or Colin Miller or William Karlsson?

What 3rd liner for some another team can become a top 6 winger for us?  They happen every year.   

If this rebuild is ever going to work we are going to need to find some players that outperform their paycheck beside kids on their ELCs.  

I'm curous about what Florida was thinking that they didn't protect him, who did they think was better that they could part with a 30 goal scorer?

I don't care about blue collar. Almost no hockey player is blue collar. I want good hockey players and I don't get this weird Blue Collar Buffalo mantra that doesn't apply to the city anymore. The biggest companies in Erie County are what? UB, Deleware North maybe, Independent Health, Kaleida Health, Wegmans, Roswell Park, Geico... I mean I guess the ford plant would be blue collar but the rest certainly aren't. What non agricultural manual labor jobs are in Buffalo making it a blue collar city? Hard working city, sure. Blue Collar, not for 20 years. 

I too am so sick and tired of this. 

I don't care about blue collar. Almost no hockey player is blue collar. I want good hockey players and I don't get this weird Blue Collar Buffalo mantra that doesn't apply to the city anymore. The biggest companies in Erie County are what? UB, Deleware North maybe, Independent Health, Kaleida Health, Wegmans, Roswell Park, Geico... I mean I guess the ford plant would be blue collar but the rest certainly aren't. What non agricultural manual labor jobs are in Buffalo making it a blue collar city? Hard working city, sure. Blue Collar, not for 20 years. 

Blue Collar is being used as a metaphor for hard working not flashy players.  No Buffalo hasn't been a "blue collar" jobs market for decades, but that work ethic remains.  

I'm curous about what Florida was thinking that they didn't protect him, who did they think was better that they could part with a 30 goal scorer?

My guess is they figured his 30 goal season was a fluke and they didn't want to pay him.  Their GM at the time, Tom Rowe, was all about analytics and likely didn't think Marchessault fit his computer models.  Ooops.  Maybe that is why he isn't the GM anymore and Dallon was given his job back by the new owner.

I too am so ###### sick and tired of this. 

Blue collar or not, it doesn't change the fact that we need to find some players like Karlsson and Marchessault to help us take the  next step.

So say hard working players. Or talented players. Btw you are right we need to find some more hard working talented players. Hard work beats talent when talents refuses to work hard. 

Edited by Skurk Liger

I'm not trying to get into semantics, I just think saying 'X city is full of X people so we need X players' is absolutely insane. 

Example: Brandon Beane 'Josh Allen is Buffalo. They're going to love him'

Man I don't give two shits if this is sunshine from Remember the Titans. If the dude can play he can play. Stop trying to cram players in here that make the team worst just because you think that's what the city is about. Talent is talent

I'm not trying to get into semantics, I just think saying 'X city is full of X people so we need X players' is absolutely ###### insane. 

Man I don't give two shits if this is sunshine from Remember the Titans. If the dude can play he can play. Stop trying to cram players in here that make the team worst just because you think that's what the city is about. Talent is talent

Yup to the bolded. I want winners and I don't really care how they win as long as I am entertained while they do it. 

I'm not trying to get into semantics, I just think saying 'X city is full of X people so we need X players' is absolutely ###### insane. 

Which player would be more comfortable in Buffalo?   The self-made hard working farmboy Josh Allen or the silver spoon entitled trust-fund intellect Josh Rosen?

Being comfortable in your environment goes a long way towards how well you perform.   

Which player would be more comfortable in Buffalo?   The self-made hard working farmboy Josh Allen or the silver spoon entitled trust-fund intellect Josh Rosen?

Being comfortable in your environment goes a long way towards how well you perform.   

Which player would be more comfortable in Buffalo? The foreign Swede constantly heaped praise and accolades or the local hard-working gritty Tkachuck? 

Which player would be more comfortable in Buffalo? The foreign Swede constantly heaped praise and accolades or the local hard-working gritty Tkachuck? 

From all accounts, Dahlin is a hard-working kid from a middle class family in a cold weather environment, not unsimilar to Buffalo.    Dahlin's background is nothing like Rosen.

From all accounts, Dahlin is a hard-working kid from a middle class family in a cold weather environment, not unsimilar to Buffalo.    Dahlin's background is nothing like Rosen.

I'm not comparing Dahlin and Rosen. But if you want to say someone is more comfortable in their environment and that should factor in decision making on players, then Brady Tkachuk is 10X more comfortable in Buffalo than Rasmus Dahlin will be

I'm not comparing Dahlin and Rosen. But if you want to say someone is more comfortable in their environment and that should factor in decision making on players, then Brady Tkachuk is 10X more comfortable in Buffalo than Rasmus Dahlin will be

Wait, what?   You just did.    I was comparing Rosen and Allen.... you brought Dahlin into the equation.   

Anyway.... I think Dahlin will fit in nicely in Buffalo.. probably better than he would fit in a big city like LA or NY.... considering where he's coming from.    Tkachuck would fit  nicely as well.... most hockey players would.    How many trust-fund entitled intellectual hockey players from warm weather large population beach cities are there anyway?  

Wait, what?   You just did.    I was comparing Rosen and Allen.... you brought Dahlin into the equation.   

Anyway.... I think Dahlin will fit in nicely in Buffalo.. probably better than he would fit in a big city like LA or NY.... considering where he's coming from.    Tkachuck would fit  nicely as well.... most hockey players would.    How many trust-fund entitled intellectual hockey players from warm weather large population beach cities are there anyway?  

I mean your point being comfortable somewhere matters so I said like Rosen Dahlin won't be as comfortable as Tkachuck would be. They're not the same personality no but they would be in the same situation in this regards.

Dahlin is foreign and moving all the way to a new country and culture at 18. The weather he grew up in or his parent's wealth aside, it's a massive leap

Depends on the diaper needed. Seriously depends on the kid and his personality. Some can adjust to any environment, other seem not to have neen weened and need more coddling. Not sure how to quantify. Rosen seems to need the coddling but dont see AZ as a height of intellectual curiosity. Allen betting could fit in anywhere, just seems that way.. but you never know?

You need to listen to the few Dhalin interviews... I disagree.

I mean your point being comfortable somewhere matters so I said like Rosen Dahlin won't be as comfortable as Tkachuck would be. They're not the same personality no but they would be in the same situation in this regards.

Dahlin is foreign and moving all the way to a new country and culture at 18. The weather he grew up in or his parent's wealth aside, it's a massive leap

That is with any foreign born player.

Are the Bills asking him to milk cows and run a thresher? If not, being a farmboy shouldn't factor in whatsoever.

Allen will definitely feel more comfortable in the McDermott environment though, so maybe you've got a point. He seems to fit the Christian soldier culture that Mr. Process is installing. It may get a little awkward if any of the black players question him about all the racially charged social media content he deleted from his facebook/twitter/etc accounts though. That may make his environment a little less comfortable.

I guarantee that nobody gives a ###### about his 14 year old tweets, which came from a song and a tv show, right?

I have no idea. I don't even know what they were because I get 99% of my Bills information from this board and I'm not sure anyone posted the exact offenses. I just read that they were racially insensitive and the media made a fuss about it just days before the draft. Given that the majority of NFL players are black including the Buffalo Bills roster I'd have to imagine there's at least one guy on the team that would take issue with whatever the comments were, especially since they are all from generation snowflake, amirite? Something, something microaggressions. #bullythebullies

Edited by Alkoholist

I have no idea. I don't even know what they were because I get 99% of my Bills information from this board. I just read that they were racially insensitive and the media made a fuss about it just days before the draft. Given that the majority of NFL players are black including the Buffalo Bills roster I'd have to imagine there's at least one guy on the team that would take issue with whatever the comments were, especially since they are all from generation snowflake, amirite?

Maybe but kid has been humble about it apologized and said they were stupid to do. Yes they were from a rap song and TV show. That being said even rappers should stop that language. Its all bs. Back when I was young and dumb we used all of the racially insensitive stuff not just for blacks. Its a different world and if it cant be used then it shouldnt be used by anyone. No double standard just to be cool or fit in. Plenty of cuss words that arent racially sensitive you can call someone.

Maybe but kid has been humble about it apologized and said they were stupid to do. Yes they were from a rap song and TV show. That being said even rappers should stop that language. Its all bs. Back when I was young and dumb we used all of the racially insensitive stuff not just for blacks. Its a different world and if it cant be used then it shouldnt be used by anyone. No double standard just to be cool or fit in. Plenty of cuss words that arent racially sensitive you can call someone.

Lol African American ppl using that language is the double standard you wanna take a stand on? Edited by Skurk Liger

Hold on, he apologized AND was humble? That fixes everything. I'm sure there won't be a single player on the team who has hurt feelings or animosity towards him after they found out he showed a little remorse. Apologies when you get put on the spot are usually the most sincere ones, too.  

Tim Murray should have tried that after calling the boss a .

You need to listen to the few Dhalin interviews... I disagree.

That is with any foreign born player.

I guess I'm not illustrating this well enough. I am not saying Dahlin will have a very hard time adjusting, I am saying Tkachuk would have an easier job adjusting.

Don't agree with censorship of any kind

Wow, what a can of worms I opened.  Sorry!  Can I take back the "blue collar" reference?

One of the nice things about Buffalo and why most hockey players love living in WNY are the locals.  The love and respect the players, but also give them their private space.  It's being in a Canadian town without being in Canada.  Many of the football players feel the same about the Bills Mafia.  Ask Fred Jackson how he feels about Buffalo and it's people.

Dahlin will be just fine here.  

Frankly all excuses for the bad team from Leadership issues to locker room issues to players not listening to disgruntled $8 mill players are frankly all BS and will go away as soon as we get enough talent.  Bad teams makes excuses and good teams win.  

This is why this off-season is so important.  Keep the core, go young and try to steal some value players from other teams.  Use other teams' cap issues against them.  Identify someone with upside that could be a cap casualty elsewhere and bring them here in trade or FAs.  No one over 26. 

We are starting with quality

Jack, ROR, Casey is a great spine.

We only have 2 long-term wingers (Sam and ERod) for our top 9, but maybe between Pu, Nylander, Asplund, Olofsson, Smith, Baptiste and others we'll find 2 or 3 more over then next two years.

We are 3/4 to a good playoff Caliber D (Dahlin, Risto and Marco) and even have a potentially solid 3rd pairing of Guhle/Nelson/McCabe.

Lastly we need goaltending.  Ullmark deserves a shot, but we really need iron clad insurance.  

I guess I'm not illustrating this well enough. I am not saying Dahlin will have a very hard time adjusting, I am saying Tkachuk would have an easier job adjusting.

Don't agree with censorship of any kind

It made perfect sense.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.