GDT Sabres at Panthers 7:30pm 3/2/18 MSG GR

Brawndo

Yeah! How dare he make a save with his pad. He should catch those with his left hand.

I'd love to know how that was supposed to happen considering the angle of the shot and save.

I get the feeling the difference between the OK and the great GTs are the ones that are OK put that rebound where Lehner did, and the greats either "catch" the puck with their pad and can then trap it, or choose the angle of contact so the puck ends up in the corner.

I'd love to know how that was supposed to happen considering the angle of the shot and save.

If he's deep enough in his net like he's supposed to be he can do it. The problem is because he sucks he's constantly way too high in the crease playing angles and he can't react in time. If the puck doesn't hit him just right he's f*cked because he can't recover.

I mean, Reimer did kick one out to the exact same spot moments earlier, and it was fine due to proper defensive positioning...

Reimer's not particularly good either. Yes, he gets helped by better play in front of him, and fewer goals result.

Just because Lehner's bad play gets exposed more, it doesn't absolve him of his bad play.

I mean, Reimer did kick one out to the exact same spot moments earlier, and it was fine due to proper defensive positioning...

You’re not wrong. But our skaters have mostly played them straight up and our goalie let in four on 19.

Make some saves.

Reimer is also bad.

And this Edited by dudacek

I get the feeling the difference between the OK and the great GTs are the ones that are OK put that rebound where Lehner did, and the greats either "catch" the puck with their pad and can then trap it, or choose the angle of contact so the puck ends up in the corner.

Goaltenders don't "catch" the puck with their pads. That's not even a thing. Especially when you are reacting at point blank range.

As hard as it might be to believe, defense plays a big role in how good your goalie plays, either by disrupting the play, limiting the window for the shooter, not leaving shooters alone opposite the play, and clearing out rebounds. What exactly is the role of the Sabres defense other than irony?

As hard as it might be to believe, defense plays a big role in how good your goalie plays, either by disrupting the play, limiting the window for the shooter, not leaving shooters alone opposite the play, and clearing out rebounds.

Yep. And when that breaks down, it’s the goalie’s role to come up with some saves.

Lehner’s save to break down ratio at times this year has been excellent and he has been unfairly blasted anyway. Today the ratio is poor.

Put aside your agenda and watch the game.

Edited by dudacek

Yep. And when that breaks down, it’s the goalie’s role to come up with some saves.

Lehner’s save to break down ratio at times this year has been excellent and he has been unfairly blasted anyway. Today the ratio is poor.

Put aside your agenda and watch the game.

How many times a game is a goalie supposed to bail out his team? 5 times? 10? 20? When does the defense get some culpability? Edited by PromoTheRobot

Goaltenders don't "catch" the puck with their pads. That's not even a thing. Especially when you are reacting at point blank range.

As hard as it might be to believe, defense plays a big role in how good your goalie plays, either by disrupting the play, limiting the window for the shooter, not leaving shooters alone opposite the play, and clearing out rebounds. What exactly is the role of the Sabres defense other than irony?

Perhaps "catch" is the wrong word, but pucks seem to bounce off Lehner, where others the puck "sticks" to them. That's what I'm talking about.

This is an interesting read: http://www.usahockeygoaltending.com/news_article/show/524951

One constant physical technique in all of these situations involves watching the puck into the equipment that is making the save. Goaltenders who “explode,” with arms flailing and head snapping back, often lose sight of the puck and, as a result, handicap themselves. They can’t follow where the rebound goes and are at a disadvantage to stop the next shot.

Goaltenders who have difficulty controlling their upper body after a shot — they lose their balance — also are disadvantaged, as they wipe out and leave themselves vulnerable to follow-up shots.

Nelson and Antipin have done a good job connecting with the forwards.

Baptiste seems to be getting shots.

Some good cycling down low.

PP has been awful. Some defensive coverage mistakes. No big saves.

Game hasn’t been as bad as the score suggests.

It's almost like kicking out huge rebounds all the time is going to bite you.

Taking the emphasis off Lehner for a moment, I’ll comment on the first shot. Far side, low. That’s a rebound generator by design. I dig that play.

I agree with your assessment on Lehner, btw ...

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.