Buffalo Bills 2018-2019

WildCard

1 hour ago, TrueBlueGED said:

There is little doubt in my mind that McDermott genuinely believes in Peterman.

Well, they give pretty big contracts to both Lotulelei and Murphy. 

Why, God. Why?!

Oy vey.

37 minutes ago, inkman said:

All of this has me seriously concerned about the candle power in these dudes heads. 

Yep.

28 minutes ago, Marions Piazza said:

i had the chance to see the presser, you can tell by how McD presented himself that this was not his decision to bench NP and it came from elsewhere in the org.

I have to go watch now. JFC.

16 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

It still baffles me why they don't have a veteran QB on the roster.    All the QBs moving around this past season and they end up with nothing (A. Smith, Keenum, Bradford, Cousins, Taylor, MacArron, Kizer, etc..).    You invest so much in moving up to take your franchise QB, then force him to play week 2 w/ a porous offensive line and no weapons.    

I'm rapidly trending toward "McDermott is a faith-based idiot." Only thing that can stop that train on the track: If Josh Allen somehow shows well in the next ~6 games. It could happen. I doubt it, though.

12 minutes ago, Hoss said:

When I ask my girlfriend to throw out the trash I don’t normally specify that I want it in the garbage totes outside, I just want it out of the house.

But, like my girlfriend, when you ask the Bills to do something it normally doesn’t get done.

Image result for wtf gif

Easier to take the semantic L here than slag on an apparently shiftless girlfriend.

11 minutes ago, WildCard said:

This guy fcks

I chuckled.

2 hours ago, TrueBlueGED said:

There is little doubt in my mind that McDermott genuinely believes in Peterman.

Well, they give pretty big contracts to both Lotulelei and Murphy. They chose to spend the money they had on defense. Much like they chose to load up this season with dead cap.

Yup. They burned this season before it happened by choice. Believing in Peterman is funny and completely ignoring the offensive line and receiver is just sad. McDermott has yet to demonstrate he understands jack $#!t about the offensive side of things and that goes all the way back to the mind numbing hire of Dennison. 

Didn't Dennison's offense drop 48 points two nights ago? 

Not to say I like Dennison.

Even when we were a playoff team and the Jets were bad, they blew us off of both lines. That team has some beef in the trenches. We need a lot of that. 

Bosa
OL
WR
OL
OL
WR
OL

and sign the best FA WR you can

Also apparently the All-22 review guys weren't as low on Star in Baltimore as I was. 

Not to say that I come close to approving of that garbage contract they gave him. 

I don't care what Denninsons offense did in game 1 of the season. That dumb dip$#!t ran mike tolbert on 3rd in long so many times it wasn't funny. The only thing I will say is that Bean and McD failed to give him much offensive help. Looks like they failed to give Daboll any too. I wouldn't be surprised if next offseason they sign defensive players in free agency and use multiple high draft picks on defensive players too. They are completely to blame for the state of the Bills offense. There were multiple receivers and linemen available even with the cap issues and they failed to get any of them. 

18 hours ago, That Aud Smell said:

Watched ~45 seconds of the presser where he was addressing the move initially. He doesn't seem mad, to me. He doesn't seem as though his hand was forced. Just my sense.

I don't think he was mad in that somebody ordered him to make the change, I got the sense he truly believes in Peterman and is really frustrated it went so poorly that he had no choice but to make the move. 

16 hours ago, nfreeman said:

IMHO it's too early to judge Star and Murphy. 

However, if they and Vontae Davis all stink this year, then there is a real problem with Beane and perhaps McD.

I'm just relieved at this point that McD realizes that Peterman can't start on Sunday.

It's definitely too early to judge Lotulelei and Murphy. I'm simply saying the notion that our offense sucks because they had no money to spend on it really isn't true. They had money and chose to use it on the defense. 

7 hours ago, darksabre said:

I think McBeane need to be fired before this gets irreparable. I never believed they could evaluate talent and build a team and now I'm pretty much convinced of it.

That's taking it too far. I'm not their biggest fan, but they're not in fireable territory yet. If Allen busts? Yup, then let's talk. But they've been in place for a year and made the playoffs. In spite of my belief they fell back asswards into that success, it still buys them some time. 

35 minutes ago, TrueBlueGED said:

That's taking it too far. I'm not their biggest fan, but they're not in fireable territory yet. If Allen busts? Yup, then let's talk. But they've been in place for a year and made the playoffs. In spite of my belief they fell back asswards into that success, it still buys them some time. 

Yea, we can’t just keep firing people a season or two into their plan because we’re unsure of where it’s going. The damage it does to organizational integrity and trust is greater than the difference between one GM/coach combo and the other.

I’m not feeling great, but we don’t know nearly enough about what they’re doing behind the scenes. They’ve got the money and picks going into the offseason to make something happen.

1 hour ago, TrueBlueGED said:

I don't think he was mad in that somebody ordered him to make the change, I got the sense he truly believes in Peterman and is really frustrated it went so poorly that he had no choice but to make the move. 

Fair. I’m sure there’s disappointment there.

To me, he just seemed braced for the prying questions and was super committed to giving up nothing in response.

If this is a 3 or fewer win team, McDermott/Beane still get until late October 2019, imo, at least. 

The offence is so talent deficient this season,  that the Pegulas could easily be swayed that they need to see Allen in year 2 with a better supporting cast.

The All-22 analyses I've seen also show that our WRs have been open every play, but that Nasty Nate just wouldn't throw to them. 

We aren't as bad as we were in Baltimore, even if we aren't good. 

Josh keeps his eyes downfield well under pressure, but you can tell he doesn't have a feel for pressure just yet, the way Brady/Rodgers can shift around with ease without having to look. Somebody on TBD pointed out that at one point our tackle brushed into his back and he took off, thinking it was the DE. That's something that repetition will improve. I think they've been working on his internal clock, too, though he sometimes still took too long to throw. 

I don't think he'll miss as many open receivers as Peterman did, at least. 

I just hope Sunday is close. 

6 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

The All-22 analyses I've seen also show that our WRs have been open every play, but that Nasty Nate just wouldn't throw to them. 

Josh keeps his eyes downfield well under pressure, but you can tell he doesn't have a feel for pressure just yet, the way Brady/Rodgers can shift around with ease without having to look. Somebody on TBD pointed out that at one point our tackle brushed into his back and he took off, thinking it was the DE. That's something that repetition will improve. I think they've been working on his internal clock, too, though he sometimes still took too long to throw. 

I have a pretty hard time believing that this WR group was just running open all day. Methinks there might be some shoddy video interpretation going on. 

Just now, TrueBlueGED said:

I have a pretty hard time believing that this WR group was just running open all day. Methinks there might be some shoddy video interpretation going on. 

I mean, my eye is untrained, but Peterman absolutely had at least 9 plays (that's how many were in the one I saw) where legitimate options were NFL open, usually more than one. 

It's not to say that KB was running down the seam with no one within 20 yards.

There were at least two plays shown where the deep man WAS wiiiiiiide open for six though.

And occasionally the line didn't hold up long enough to blame it on Peterman. 

But Peterman's historically bad performance is the main reason why that game was so bad, is what I'm getting at.

5 minutes ago, WildCard said:

Is Bosa playing Sunday? That will go a long way to determining if it's gonna be remotely close or not

He's out.

Watching Peterman throw the ball was eye opening. It just comes out with no zip and doesn't go far. He couldn't hit a player over the top because he can't throw that far so in essence for him, they weren't open. The offense is a disaster because the clowns running the show have spent 2 offseasons doing nothing to help it and instead gutting it. 

1 hour ago, Randall Flagg said:

Josh Allen has never had a feel for pressure. This goes back to college and I don't see it changing any time soon. 

4 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Watching Peterman throw the ball was eye opening. It just comes out with no zip and doesn't go far. He couldn't hit a player over the top because he can't throw that far so in essence for him, they weren't open. The offense is a disaster because the clowns running the show have spent 2 offseasons doing nothing to help it and instead gutting it. 

Josh Allen has never had a feel for pressure. This goes back to college and I don't see it changing any time soon. 

The last young QB I've seen have it was Aaron Rodgers. You need to face a lot of pressure from NFL players before you understand it. 

IMO that's one of the few traits that can actually be developed at this point. 

The important thing at this point is that he's far better at keeping his eyes down field than I thought. That's a start, that hasn't been said about any QB we've had in a while. 

15 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

If Allen didn't get pressure in college, why will he become good at feeling it in the NFL? 

I don't have the time to put video clips together, but the trait I'm talking about is the thing that basically only Brady and Rodgers have ever had at a young age from what I've ever seen. Knowing you have blindside pressure and feeling it out while not looking at it. Most good NFL quarterbacks BECOME better at this over time. Check out Big Ben's pocket presence in his rookie year and compare it to now. The same goes for really any QB that is good outside of two of the best QBs to ever play the game. 

What is a separate trait, that Allen has shown promising signs of, is overall presence in the pocket and the willingness to climb it to make a throw when he DOES know he has pressure, while keeping his eyes downfield. EJ couldn't do this, Tyrod didn't do this, his eyes dropped and he looked to scramble the second something didn't go right. Allen's preseason TD pass in Cleveland was the best case of this I've seen from a Bills quarterback since, I dunno when. The 3rd and 10 and 3rd and 18 plays from this past weekend showed more of it. That's what I like. Youtube has videos of every throw he made in college last year, and watching those was enlightening in this regard too, because the reason he didn't "have a pocket presence" in college is that he simply didn't have a pocket. There were plays where, before the ball finishes being snapped into his hands in the shotgun, two defenders were behind the guards. Our line hasn't been THAT bad and so that particular worry has been largely erased for me by what he's shown in his limited time. 

There are, of course, plenty of things he needs to work on. His 3rd and 7 conversion showed a full progression before firing it for a conversion, but he missed open receivers on other plays. He held on too long a couple times. Two or three of the throws were just bad throws. The "RPO" where he didn't give to shady (I think it was a RPO?) was a mistake. But he was 4 drops away from 10-15 for ~120 yards and a TD, even if just in garbage time, and I look forward to seeing his development as we go forward because he's shown me enough to be cautiously optimistic. 

I'm focusing right now on the positives, just because somebody needs to during this dreary time

Edited by Randall Flagg

1 hour ago, Randall Flagg said:

McDermott ruined Peterman in that SD game last year.    If you watched him closely this past Sunday he hesitates on just about every single pass play... instinctually he wants to throw it, but his mind just won't let him pull the trigger because deep down he's second guessing himself.        

Let's hope Josh Allen doesn't suffer the same fate, but the chances are very high IMO.    The only difference may be wether or not JA can get over it and find a way to push through it ..... but man, you couldn't dream up a worse situation for a rookie QB...  no OL, WRs who can't separate, an aging RB..  there's not a worse situation in the entire league for rookie QB.  

19 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

I think it's worth noting that Rodgers sat for his first 3 seasons behind Favre. 

That was different.   Rodgers dropped in the draft to a good team who had an established veteran QB.     I'm sure Rodgers could've played much sooner and had the same amount of success because of the team around him.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.