Buffalo Bills 2018-2019

WildCard

I'll bite. Why?

While fully recognizing that they can do whatever they want in this regard as Americans, I am simply annoyed by this decision, as if it means something, as if I give a what they think about politics and their no-doubt exaggerated and simplistic takes on politics, and by the ensuing facebook comments I have to skim through just to get to dank memes. 

A purely selfish and goofy take and I have little issue admitting that. 

Go where? I'm not sure what you're talking about.

I think athletes should visit the White House when they win championships, as is tradition. I think it's silly when they refuse because they don't like the guy in office. 

I think athletes should visit the White House when they win championships, as is tradition. I think it's silly when they refuse because they don't like the guy in office.

Me thinks Liger is playing dumb to stay out of trouble ;)

Me thinks Liger is playing dumb to stay out of trouble ;)

Damn, I usually am good about that stuff. And I even remember that Liger was banned. Sorry Liger, I gotcha. 

And I don't think that what I said was political, I think we're grown ups and can take the mere mention of Trump and the White House without fear of the banhammer. 

Now, if I were to say that Trump is a great patriot and that the Eagles should go to support his sound conservative policies, then we might have an issue.

their no-doubt exaggerated and simplistic takes on politics

A purely selfish and goofy take and I have little issue admitting that

Just cause they're athletes doesn't make them dumb Edited by WildCard

I think the Eagles should go, and the Warriors should have gone, and Tim Thomas should have gone.

I generally agree. But when the current resident of said house is a blatant racist who has leveraged the power of his office to push your employer to penalize peaceful protest, I make an exception.

Also, FWIW, there were players planning to go, it just wasn't the entire team.

Tim Thomas was a dick and it has nothing to do with his refusal to go to the White House and everything to do with the fact that he "arrived" at a game against the Sabres in Buffalo and I hate him.

The athletes who are standing up against demagoguery and sexism and racism are just fine by me.  I'll say it.  The White House is a sty, occupied by a pig.  Why visit?

And I'll say this again, for like the fifth time, too:  When you take away the politics thread, politics finds the way into every other thread.

Just cause they're athletes doesn't make them dumb

No one ever told Rex Ryan to "stick to sports," right?

Tim Thomas was a dick and it has nothing to do with his refusal to go to the White House and everything to do with the fact that he "arrived" at a game against the Sabres in Buffalo and I hate him.

The athletes who are standing up against demagoguery and sexism and racism are just fine by me. I'll say it. The White House is a sty, occupied by a pig. Why visit?

And I'll say this again, for like the fifth time, too: When you take away the politics thread, politics finds the way into every other thread.

Agreed with all this

Just cause they're athletes doesn't make them dumb

That's not why I think they're dumb. They're probably smarter than me. There are like 10 people on earth that I've discovered so far whose opinions on stuff I trust and find to be worthwhile to pay attention to. Athletes, like actors/actresses, and anyone I meet down at the bar, are not going to teach me anything worthwhile, and it's all about me, you see

They're dumb because they distract my meme suppliers. 

Also, I'd like the politics thread back, but respect decisions to the contrary 

That's not why I think they're dumb. They're probably smarter than me. There are like 10 people on earth that I've discovered so far whose opinions on stuff I trust and find to be worthwhile to pay attention to. Athletes, like actors/actresses, and anyone I meet down at the bar, are not going to teach me anything worthwhile, and it's all about me, you see

They're dumb because they distract my meme suppliers. 

You're a PhD candidate in physics, if I recall correctly.  Most athletes are not smarter than you.  Most PEOPLE are not smarter than you, and that probably includes 99% of this board.  It certainly includes me.

I generally agree. But when the current resident of said house is a blatant racist who has leveraged the power of his office to push your employer to penalize peaceful protest, I make an exception.

Also, FWIW, there were players planning to go, it just wasn't the entire team.

Yeah, I think he probably canceled because the coalition that were going to go was tiny and pretty "embarrassing" to him. 

The hell is up with this whole meme thing? You losing it Flagg?

You're a PhD candidate in physics, if I recall correctly. Most athletes are not smarter than you. Most PEOPLE are not smarter than you, and that probably includes 99% of this board. It certainly includes me.

Speak for yourself Edited by WildCard

You're a PhD candidate in physics, if I recall correctly.  Most athletes are not smarter than you.  Most PEOPLE are not smarter than you, and that probably includes 99% of this board.  It certainly includes me.

1.) They're smarter than my about politics, most likely, is what I meant. 

2.) I may know more physics than the average person but I'm not great at it relative to other physicists and it doesn't mean that knowledge carries over anywhere else. Have you heard Neil deGrasse Tyson talk about stuff that isn't astrophysics? :P 

3.) Your last two sentences are fake news.

Speak for yourself

It's just that my facebook feed instantly becomes unbearable when something concerning the NFL and trump and anthems comes up. 

Speak for yourself

2.) I may know more physics than the average person but I'm not great at it relative to other physicists and it doesn't mean that knowledge carries over anywhere else. Have you heard Neil deGrasse Tyson talk about stuff that isn't astrophysics? :P

It's just that my facebook feed instantly becomes unbearable when something concerning the NFL and trump and anthems comes up. 

Nah.  You're a smarty and it's ok to admit it.

I have, and it's made me hate a man I used to truly admire and enjoy listening to. He has no bloody idea how politics and political behavior work, yet pontificates anyway.

He's brilliant, and should be smart enough to know saying "I don't know" is okay.

Edited by TrueBlueGED

We're going to need a bird lawyer in here.

Be my coo counsel

I was trying and failing to make this reference in my post.

When is the next season coming out?

Not sure honestly. Stopped keeping track when I ditched cable

I have, and it's made me hate a man I used to truly admire and enjoy listening to. He has no bloody idea how politics and political behavior work, yet pontificates anyway.

He's brilliant, and should be smart enough to know saying "I don't know" is okay.

Yeah his Twitter feed is unbearable.

'If you took a trillion sheets of paper and laid them end to end across the equator, then how did Trump win the election without Russian interference?'

Edited by WildCard

It's trying to stay out of trouble. I prefer being in the thick of it but alas, this time I will stay firmly seated on the sidelines while the anthem of discourse plays out.

Part of why I want the politics thread back is to unleash the Liger. I think Liger is a great check on loose and careless opinions. That's why you're my number one adversary for the half-baked trade and roster ideas I love to throw out ;)

Part of why I want the politics thread back is to unleash the Liger. I think Liger is a great check on loose and careless opinions. That's why you're my number one adversary for the half-baked trade and roster ideas I love to throw out ;)

Found Ligers new signature

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.