Buffalo Bills 2018-2019

WildCard

Because for one year he's fine to have as your starter, especially with what's available

Is he? Do we have any evidence for this whatsoever? He has 3 starts in his career, and they were all in 2015. He was a 5th round pick with no pedigree to speak of. His primary job in college was letting Alabama's defense win games. I'm just not seeing it.

Is he? Do we have any evidence for this whatsoever? He has 3 starts in his career, and they were all in 2015. He was a 5th round pick with no pedigree to speak of. His primary job in college was letting Alabama's defense win games. I'm just not seeing it.

I mean at this point we either go with known bad players or the unknown possibly good player. I'd rather role the dice on McCarron and have him completely flop then throw Matt Moore out there and know he's going to be a typical backup player

Edited by Jokertecken

I used to think this, but I'm just not so sure anymore. These days I'm more of the mind that someone who gets ruined by starting too soon probably wasn't going to be good anyway, and the good ones will figure it out. If I had a dollar for every time I heard Deshaun Watson would have to sit for 1-2 years....Dak Prescott was going to need development time...and so on.

Jared Goff didn't look like an NFL player. Gets a good coach, and now he's a legit starter. His early experience didn't ruin him.

I'm too lazy to look for more examples, but do a cursory scan of the league and tell me how many of the top-10 QBs sat for any meaningful length of time. It's easier than ever to play QB in this league: you take fewer hits, defenders can't breath on receivers, offenses are spreading it out, and so on. Especially if we get Rosen or Mayfield, I don't see what they'd gain by sitting.

I ask again: what is it that people see in McCarron? I'm fine with him as a backup, but u really never want to see him play.

McCarron would be a bridge quarterback.  Have him start a season, while the rookie qb can gain a better understanding of the NFL.  If the qb the Bills draft is franchise, don't rush him.  That's really the only reason I want McCarron in Buffalo.  

You may be right though.  Today's NFL is much different than 20 years ago. 

Edited by GoPre

I mean at this point we either go with known bad players or the unknown possibly good player. I'd rather role the dice on McCarron and have him completely flop then throw Matt Moore out there and know he's going to be a typical backup player

I just completely disagree with this. Even if McCarron starts, he probably holds off the rookie for what, 3 games? It's just not worth the role of the dice for someone you ultimately want on the bench. Get the established backup who you know can do the job and will be happy enough doing it, and let the kid you draft play.

McCarron would be a bridge quarterback. Have him start a season, while the rookie qb can gain a better understanding of the NFL. If the qb the Bills draft is franchise, don't rush him. That's really the only reason I want McCarron in Buffalo.

Do you really think Rosen or Mayfield have to sit a full season? I sure don't.

Sal just tweeted a cryptic thinking emoji. Tim Graham had some cryptic tweets yesterday as well... Something is cooking, but it doesn't seem to be positive. Maybe I'm just jaded. Also Jeremy just tweeted about wanted another trade so maybe Sal shared some info with him. 

https://twitter.com/SalSports/status/973911649458499584

I just completely disagree with this. Even if McCarron starts, he probably holds off the rookie for what, 3 games? It's just not worth the role of the dice for someone you ultimately want on the bench. Get the established backup who you know can do the job and will be happy enough doing it, and let the kid you draft play.

Do you really think Rosen or Mayfield have to sit a full season? I sure don't.

I'm really surprised you want to throw a rookie into the fire like this right away

Sal Cappaccio just tweeted out the "thinking" emoji. This is where the world is right now. 

Sal just tweeted a cryptic thinking emoji. Tim Graham had some cryptic tweets yesterday as well... Something is cooking, but it doesn't seem to be positive. Maybe I'm just jaded. Also Jeremy just tweeted about wanted another trade so maybe Sal shared some info with him. 

https://twitter.com/SalSports/status/973911649458499584

This is just annoying. Hate when they do stuff like this

I hate it too. Sends everyone into a frenzy. I'm expecting it to be a trade for a vet QB. I'm afraid it's a trade that we give up some sort of valuable asset. Who knows, but I think Sal wouldn't choose that emoji if it was a resoundingly positive rumor he was hearing. 

I'm really surprised you want to throw a rookie into the fire like this right away

I just think the whole "sit a year then play" is a pretty antiquated notion that was applicable in a different era of football. Offensive coaches are better than ever at coaching to their players, and college concepts are prevalent throughout the league. The adjustment simply isn't what it used to be. In some ways I think delaying starting only slows down development; there is only so much you can learn about NFL defenses without seeing them in game action.

Agreed.

Maybe Beane is going for a big trade?  Going for Luck?  W/ no free agent qb signed, the Bills could be entering training camp w/ a top 3 pick and Peterman as starter/backup.  I just don't see Beane doing that.  Too risky for him.  Beane had to make the other trades w/ almost complete certainty another trade or free agent signing would happen.  W/ "thinking" emoji's being posted on twitter, I'm guessing trade. 

Edited by GoPre

Albright was on GR this AM and expanded on his tweet. A lot of media have gotten from their sources that the Bills really like Allen, so much he so that he is beginning to believe it’s a smokescreen.

Cleveland is not attending Mayfield’s or Rosen’s Pro Day because the belief is they are taking Darnold.

And True is correct, If the rookie isn’t quite ready this season, Peterman can start until he is.

I believe the Bills are going to rely a lot on the running game with McCoy this year. And during the next offseason when they have the almost 90 Million in cap space start to get offensive weapons in FA for the new QB, following the same plan the Bears have for Mitch Trubisky.

Maybe Beane is going for a big trade? Going for Luck? W/ no free agent qb signed, the Bills could be entering training camp w/ a top 3 pick and Peterman as starter/backup. I just don't see Beane doing that. Too risky for him. Beane had to make the other trades w/ almost complete certainty another trade or free agent signing would happen. W/ "thinking" emoji's being posted on twitter, I'm guessing trade.

Peter King speculated that the Colts with as many holes on their roster as they do would be interested in trading back for 12, 22, 54 and 65 allowing the Bills to move to 3.

Haven't been this glued to Bills offseason in years.  Checking every 10 minutes to see if a trade has gone down.  Crazy! 

I hear you. It's even crazier that Free Agency hasn't even started officially yet, but we already have multiple trades and reported signings for the Bills alone, not even considering the rest of the league.

The NFL knows how to make their league interesting 365 days a year...

It's gonna be Allen and Peterman. Just accept it. 

I really don't think its going to be Allen. They've been SO vocal about it. But we'll see where they move up too; if its outside the top 5 I'll believe its Allen.

Other reason I doubt Allen is because they haven't bought it a real vet to start. Allen is going to need time, its not a big secret that he's raw.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.