Can This Franchise Be Saved? How Long Will It Take?

GASabresIUFAN

I’ve seen enough to know that barring a big trade there are only eight regulars I want back next year: Eichel, Ristolainen, Okposo, Reinhart, O’Reilly, Scandella, McCabe and Girgensons.

Okposo Eichel xxx

xxx O’Reilly xxx

Bailey/Baptiste Reinhart Middelstadt

Fasching xxx Girgensons

Ristolainen Scandella

xxx xxx

Guhle McCabe

Ullmark/xxx

I agree with the opening sentiment.  The lines however not so much.  Mittelstadt on Reinhart's wing isn't happening.  I would bring back Pouliot for another year because we could use him in case someone doesn't work out. He's a decent depth guy. 

Worst case scenario - Middlestadt does not sign and goes into free agency (ala Vesey)

As stated numerous times, Mittelstadt would be leaving around 15million dollars on the table if he did that. His first cheap three years would be pushed back 3 full years making him not eligible for big money until he was 26 as opposed to 23.  That would just be stupid on his part considering he plays a sport where players peak at 27. 

I’ve seen enough to know that barring a big trade there are only eight regulars I want back next year: Eichel, Ristolainen, Okposo, Reinhart, O’Reilly, Scandella, McCabe and Girgensons.

I want Kane and Lehner and Larsson traded for speed and cap space.

I want Moulson, Beaulieu, Bogosian and Pominville gone, if it makes sense under the cap

I do not offer contracts to Pouliot Wilson, Nolan, Gorges, Johnson, Josefson or Falk

Rodrigues and Antipin get another year, but In Rochester unless they show improvement,

I want to graduate Ullmark, Guhle and at least two of Bailey Baptiste and Fasching up to the big club.

Middelstadt, Smith, Nylander and this year’s top pick will get a chance but will have to force their way on to the club.

I want to use what could be $30 million in cap space and the proceeds of any trades to acquire Kane’s and Bogosian’s replacements, and fill the other slots with low-risk Beaulieu/Pouliot type acquisitions.

I don’t know that we will be better, but we will be younger and faster and different.

Okposo Eichel xxx

xxx O’Reilly xxx

Bailey/Baptiste Reinhart Middelstadt

Fasching xxx Girgensons

Ristolainen Scandella

xxx xxx

Guhle McCabe

Ullmark/xxx

I'm mostly ok with this, except I don't think any of the RW trio are NHL players.  It would be great if I'm wrong, but we would have seen more from them at this point.  Ullmark showed last night he is likely ready for the job in Buffalo long-term, which frees Lehner to be traded this season or next.  I can see Jbot wanting to hedge his bets and let Ullmark and Lehner share the net next season.  However the concept of getting younger and faster is exactly what we need to do.  No reason to keep Girgensons at this point other then a cheap contract.  Larsson needs to go.

But another very good game from him last night though, right?

Jack makes everyone look good.  Ko is a good player and has always been a good player.  Is it really the end of the world if he plays out his contract at 40+ pts per season?

I agree with the opening sentiment.  The lines however not so much.  Mittelstadt on Reinhart's wing isn't happening.  I would bring back Pouliot for another year because we could use him in case someone doesn't work out. He's a decent depth guy. 

As stated numerous times, Mittelstadt would be leaving around 15million dollars on the table if he did that. His first cheap three years would be pushed back 3 full years making him not eligible for big money until he was 26 as opposed to 23.  That would just be stupid on his part considering he plays a sport where players peak at 27. 

Mittelstadt is signing this off-season.  Jbot isn't going to play games with this key player.  I'd also bring Pouliot back.  He, despite a few bad games here and there, has been better then advertised.

Edited by Georgia Flakt

Those aren't supposed to be lines, just a depth chart.

As for Pouliot, I want all easily replaceable parts replaced; it's not about him, its about changing the room.

As far as Freeman's KO/ROR/Samson point, he may be right, and I'd be open to trade any of them if it improved the team. But I don't want to sell low on Samson, KO's contract makes it hard to get value in return, and ROR would be extraordinarily difficult to replace. I think we might be better off if each was on a different line, playing with two fast guys.

Our lack of depth this year has made it impossible to ice three capable lines.

Edited by Mick O’Manly

Mick, no room or love for Falk? I see a Jay McKee-type who blocks shots, pesters opponents (and even his teammates). Chemistry-wise there's always room for a guy like that, obviously in a limited 6/7 role.

Don’t disagree with any of that; you could make similar cases for Larsson and Pominville as useful pieces and others have for Pouliot.

For me they are victims of spring cleaning; it’s about clearing the room as much as possible and hoping one or more of the new guys click. I’d toss Zemgus in there as well, but I’m keeping him because he’s still on a cheap contract and he’s fast.

Edited by Mick O’Manly

Don’t disagree with any of that; you could make similar cases for Larsson and Pominville as useful pieces and others have for Pouliot.

For me they are victims of spring cleaning; it’s about clearing the room as much as possible and hoping one or more of the new guys click. I’d toss Zemgus in there as well, but I’m keeping him because he’s still on a cheap contract and he’s fast.

Is Zemgus fast?

He's got the hands of a third liner, so I think that's where he belongs. How do we keep him there?

By getting better performance out of the top 6 to ensure he isn't needed there.

It shouldn't be too difficult.

Mittelstadt Eichel Okposo

CJ Smith O'Reilly Reinhart

JAG Girgensons Pominville

Olofsson - Eichel - Okposo

Zemgus - ROR - Pommers

CJ Smith - Mittelstadt - Reinhart

That second line would score zero goals.

Isn't there to score goals. It's there to play against other teams top lines. 

Basically it allows Mittelstadt to be up against other teams 3rd lines. This helps 2 ways. First it allows Mittelstadt and Smith to be protected. Second it allows them to eat up less talented opponents. 

Edited by SkuggaLiger

Olofsson - Eichel - Okposo

Zemgus - ROR - Pommers

CJ Smith - Mittelstadt - Reinhart

Lord Mittelstadt's talents would be wasted on the 3rd line like some commoner. Now sit in the corner, think about what you've done, and say 10 hail Casey's until you're reading to put him on the top line where he belongs.

Isn't there to score goals. It's there to play against other teams top lines.

Basically it allows Mittelstadt to be up against other teams 3rd lines. This helps 2 ways. First it allows Mittelstadt and Smith to be protected. Second it allows them to eat up less talented opponents.

I'm not buying it.

I'm not buying it.

give me something better then. 

Lord Mittelstadt's talents would be wasted on the 3rd line like some commoner. Now sit in the corner, think about what you've done, and say 10 hail Casey's until you're reading to put him on the top line where he belongs.

Casey hasn't shown me anything in the NHL, yet. Until he does he has to prove himself. Everyone has to prove themselves. 

give me something better then. 

Casey hasn't shown me anything in the NHL, yet. Until he does he has to prove himself. Everyone has to prove themselves. 

But Olofsson has? What universe are you living in? Last I checked him and Mittelstadt have both played 0 NHL games.

As for Mittelstadt, he will prove it. He'll be a top line player by the time training camp is over. The rest of these bums don't stand a chance.

Edited by Alkoholist

But Olofsson has? What universe are you living in? Last I checked him and Mittelstadt have both played 0 NHL games.

As for Mittelstadt, he will prove it. He'll be a top line player by the time training camp is over. The rest of these bums don't stand a chance.

Gotta fill the lines out somehow and at least Olofsson is 3 years older and has played 4 years of pro hockey. 

Middle Stud is a natural Center, there is no way you move him to wing, or with Jack. With ROR, Jack, and Casey down the middle that is a formidable threesome.

Edited by DirtDart

Put OReilly on the 3rd line as a checking line center and for pp and Ill agree. Middlestud 2nd line center and 2nd pp to start. At that point you have options that would be nice. Cant wait till that day arrives in 2 years.

That's literally what I did. 

We need to move past the entire idea of 1st, 2nd, and 3rd line. That isn't how teams work anymore. 

Put OReilly on the 3rd line as a checking line center and for pp and Ill agree. Middlestud 2nd line center and 2nd pp to start. At that point you have options that would be nice. Cant wait till that day arrives in 2 years.

I'll say one thing, we aren't the same Sabres of 5+ years ago that had to trot out Roy, Hecht and ?? as our centers. We may not have any other forwards, but Eichel, Mittelstadt and O'Reilly is pretty damn good.

Middle Stud is a natural Center, there is no way you move him to wing, or with Jack. With ROR, Jack, and Casey down the middle that is a formidable threesome.

Most centers get broken in on the wing for a while until they get a chance to adjust to the NHL game. Even Crosby started out on Lemieux's wing. Malkin definitely started out on Crosby's wing. I'm fine with Mittelstadt starting his NHL career on the wing and Eichel would be a perfect candidate to pair him with since they both have great speed and both of them can pass and shoot. It would make for some exciting hockey for a change. Once he adjusts they can split them up. It shouldn't take long.

Edited by Alkoholist

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.