Is the Sabres franchise in a playoff "drought"?

PASabreFan

Yes. In a league where more than half the teams make the postseason, 7 seasons is a drought.

Fair enough. I think the number of teams that qualify is a factor. An NHL drought kicks in before an NFL drought. But how come we haven't heard anything about a Sabres drought? (Maybe the answer is obvious.)

Fair enough. I think the number of teams that qualify is a factor. An NHL drought kicks in before an NFL drought. But how come we haven't heard anything about a Sabres drought? (Maybe the answer is obvious.)

Maybe because we weren’t actually trying for 4 of those years.

Longest ever by an NHL franchise is 10. We are currently at 6. Will be officially 7 in a few months. Previous record for our franchise was 3. Carolina has current longest streak at 8, but they could easily break it this season, which would make us the joke of the NHL once again. Thank you, Terry.

Longest ever by an NHL franchise is 10. We are currently at 6. Will be officially 7 in a few months. Previous record for our franchise was 3. Carolina has current longest streak at 8, but they could easily break it this season, which would make us the joke of the NHL once again. Thank you, Terry.

If you clamored for the tank, thank you, too.

I mean, we have to have one playoff drought going, don't we?

I'm just not sure the Sabres are in a drought, per se. Is seven seasons enough?

When the record is 10 seasons without playoffs, and we'll soon be sitting at 7, it's a drought. To add to that, they haven't won a playoff series in over a decade.

Maybe because we weren’t actually trying for 4 of those years.

They were trying to win in the seasons that ended in '12, '13, '16, 17, and now '18. With two tank seasons sandwiched in between.

Edited by Bjorn Borg

When the record is 10 seasons without playoffs, and we'll soon be sitting at 7, it's a drought. To add to that, they haven't won a playoff series in over a decade.

They were trying to win in the seasons that ended in '12, '13, '16, 17, and now '18. With two tank seasons sandwiched in between.

2012 started the tank.  Rolston coaching, Pominville traded.  There were no playoff expectations in 16 and likely 17.  And that is what we are talking about. 

2012 started the tank. Rolston coaching, Pominville traded. There were no playoff expectations in 16 and likely 17. And that is what we are talking about.

Why would expectations factor in to whether or not there was a drought? Are we going to start picking apart the Bills drought by eliminating seasons where playoffs weren't a realistic expectation? It simply refers to seasons without playoffs.

There were also playoff expectations in the 16/17 season anyways, as everyone was feeling optimistic after a 27 point improvement the season previous.

When you mention Rolston, that's 2013. And they didn't come into the 2013 season not trying to win. Ruff was fired mid season. That's not a tank year.

I'll give you 15/16. Still, it's not like they were tanking at that point. The only seasons I'd potentially remove, for the sake of argument, were the ones they were actively trying to lose: the seasons ending in 14 and 15.

11/12 - After big spending in the offseason (Leino, Ehrhoff) they finished with a very disappointing season.

12/13 - Lockout shortened year, came in with expectations to win, Ruff fired during the year.

13/14 - Tank

14/15 - Tank

15/16 - Eichel here, ROR and Kane brought it, expectation to win. Though no one really expecting playoffs.

16/17 - After a 27 point improvement, many hoping for at least a bubble team

17/18 - Everyone is/was hoping for playoffs

Edited by Bjorn Borg

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.