I'll be upgrading the forum soonish...

SDS

We had reddit-style upvotes and downvotes for a short while.  Then it became kind of a board-wide joke to just downvote anything Liger (I think it was him) wrote, and then it got stupid from there so Scott took them away from us.

This is correct and it really got out of hand mainly on the dislike voting.  I think GoDD had -500 at one point.

I agree that it is not a very good idea to go back to that.

Like, OMG!   Fer real!

Will the new "Like" system accumulate points to the member?  The Likes I saw on another forum merely applied to the post that was Liked (and are no down votes, only up votes).  They mostly are there just for people to say "me too" or "good post" without having extraneous posts in the thread.  And generally this little acknowledgment of the Likes at all, except that one poster realizes another poster Liked his post.

Like, OMG!   Fer real!

Will the new "Like" system accumulate points to the member?  The Likes I saw on another forum merely applied to the post that was Liked (and are no down votes, only up votes).  They mostly are there just for people to say "me too" or "good post" without having extraneous posts in the thread.  And generally this little acknowledgment of the Likes at all, except that one poster realizes another poster Liked his post.

Yep, it only gets bad when that becomes your 'reputation' and you are making posts for the sole purpose of building up your likes.

That said, I have checked out the mobile site at TBD and I like the navigation of it a lot better, however, the display and placement of content/ads took some getting used to. Not any more than before, just different.

What can I say? I can't prevent people from acting like 13-year-old girls if that's what they want to do. I would like to think that is not the case here.

I am not overly concerned with someone else's preconceived notions of what "likes" represent. In the context here, which is all that matters, there are three primary "reactions" that I find useful. Like, thanks, and haha. Having the ability to easily convey those thoughts to the poster help eliminate +1 types posts that have no useful information and waste people's time. If unobtrusively saying thank you to someone who answers a question for you is somehow repulsive then I don't know what to say.

On TBD I allow those three reactions to accumulate points in the reputation system. I think that over time this will allow people to recognize good contributors to the community. I am not sure I would turn on that function here because I'm not sure the community is large enough at this moment in time to really make good use of such a system.

Regardless, it will be fine. It's not a big deal.

Yep, it only gets bad when that becomes your 'reputation' and you are making posts for the sole purpose of building up your likes.

That said, I have checked out the mobile site at TBD and I like the navigation of it a lot better, however, the display and placement of content/ads took some getting used to. Not any more than before, just different.

Fwiw, currently, the ads only show to administrators and guests.

If people are posting a lot of content and other posters are truly recognizing that good content I think I would call that a win.

What can I say? I can't prevent people from acting like 13-year-old girls if that's what they want to do. I would like to think that is not the case here.

I am not overly concerned with someone else's preconceived notions of what "likes" represent. In the context here, which is all that matters, there are three primary "reactions" that I find useful. Like, thanks, and haha. Having the ability to easily convey those thoughts to the poster help eliminate +1 types posts that have no useful information and waste people's time. If unobtrusively saying thank you to someone who answers a question for you is somehow repulsive then I don't know what to say.

On TBD I allow those three reactions to accumulate points in the reputation system. I think that over time this will allow people to recognize good contributors to the community. I am not sure I would turn on that function here because I'm not sure the community is large enough at this moment in time to really make good use of such a system.

Regardless, it will be fine. It's not a big deal.

Fwiw, currently, the ads only show to administrators and guests.

If people are posting a lot of content and other posters are truly recognizing that good content I think I would call that a win.

Thanks for that nugget on the ads. I'm only a guest on TBD so that would explain it.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.