2018 NHL draft

Crusader1969

I've just completed by last update of my spreadsheet.  15 voters from around the net from end of May through today.

ISS, ESPN, Sportsnet, TSN's Button & McKenzie, Dobber, McKeens, Future Considerations, Draft Analyst, Sporting News, The Hockey News, Wheeler and Pronman from the Athletic, Hockey Prospect & Jeremy Davis.

The Results - 15 players appeared in the top 31 on all 15 rankings.  Another 7 appear on 13 or 14.  I think those 22 are a virtual certainty to hear their names called in the first rd, although some like Dominik Bokk have rankings as high as 8th and as low as 31.  

Tier 1 (3) - Dahlin, Svechnikov, Zadina

Tier 2 (4) - Tkachuk, Hughes, Wahlstrom and Boqvist.  Personally, I think Boqvist falls out of the top 10 on draft day.  Recent updated have at 9-12

Tier 3 (6) - Bouchard, Dobson, Farabee, Kotkamiemi (has huge upward momentum), Ty Smith and Hayton

Tier 4 (5) - Veleno, Denisenko, Kratsov (also has huge upward momentum), Kupari and Lundestrom

Tier 5 (4) - Wilde, Thomas, Bokk and McLeod 

Tier 6 - 60 to 73% of ballots (9 to 11) - 6 players ranked 23-28

6A (3) - Sandin, Kaut, Noel

6B (3) - Miller, Dellindrea, Olofsson

I expect the first 5 players in Tier 6 to go in the first, but we should grab anyone of these players if the happen to fall to 32.

Tier 7 - 40% to 53% of ballots (6-8) - 5 players ranked 29-33

Merkley, Berggren, McIssac, Alexeyev and Samuelsson.  The math says at worst 2 players from this tier will be available to us at 32.  I suspect as many as four will still be there.

Tier 8 - 20%-27% of ballots (3-4) - 6 players ranked 34-39

Gustsafsson, Groulx, Lundkvist, Addison, Marchenko, Tychonik - I can see Groulx, Lundkvist and Marchenko sneaking into the first at the expense of guys ranked ahead of them.

Others - There are another 23 players who appeared on at least ranking list. That makes a total of 61 different players who received at least one 1st rd grade.  In fact, a recent article I read said that their is little statistical rankings difference between players 22-63 ,which seems to correspond nicely to my list.  Some Names to keep an eye on Liam Foudy, Jake Wise, Jay O'Brien and Nic Beaudin.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

I think that this quote from Kimelman on Tkachuk is funny "his size and strength will make his teammates a few inches taller".  With Montreal or Ottawa poised to draft him, looks like we might see him a bunch of times each season.  As you all know by now I wish that we could see him 82+ times per season.

I would love for the Sabres to find a way to get Tkachuk, but I don't see any way of it happening without giving up too much and setting the team back.

I think he has an "IT" factor.  Perhaps it's just my exposure to his personality and not others...

From Vogl in the Athletic, here are the changes Botterill made after the 2017 draft to the scouting staff

The Sabres underwent massive changes to their scouting department following last year’s draft. General Manager Jason Botterill hired two assistant GMs, installed a director of amateur scouting, brought in seven amateur scouts, retained six, let go of eight, reassigned three and made two swaps to the pro scouting staff. - John Vogl

Edited by Skurk Liger

I've just completed by last update of my spreadsheet.  15 voters from around the net from end of May through today.

ISS, ESPN, Sportsnet, TSN's Button & McKenzie, Dobber, McKeens, Future Considerations, Draft Analyst, Sporting News, The Hockey News, Wheeler and Pronman from the Athletic, Hockey Prospect & Jeremy Davis.

The Results - 15 players appeared in the top 31 on all 15 rankings.  Another 7 appear on 13 or 14.  I think those 22 are a virtual certainty to hear their names called in the first rd, although some like Dominik Bokk have rankings as high as 8th and as low as 31.  

Tier 1 (3) - Dahlin, Svechnikov, Zadina

Tier 2 (4) - Tkachuk, Hughes, Wahlstrom and Boqvist.  Personally, I think Boqvist falls out of the top 10 on draft day.  Recent updated have at 9-12

Tier 3 (6) - Bouchard, Dobson, Farabee, Kotkamiemi (has huge upward momentum), Ty Smith and Hayton

Tier 4 (5) - Veleno, Denisenko, Kratsov (also has huge upward momentum), Kupari and Lundestrom

Tier 5 (4) - Wilde, Thomas, Bokk and McLeod 

Tier 6 - 60 to 73% of ballots (9 to 11) - 6 players ranked 23-28

6A (3) - Sandin, Kaut, Noel

6B (3) - Miller, Dellindrea, Olofsson

I expect the first 5 players in Tier 6 to go in the first, but we should grab anyone of these players if the happen to fall to 32.

Tier 7 - 40% to 53% of ballots (6-8) - 5 players ranked 29-33

Merkley, Berggren, McIssac, Alexeyev and Samuelsson.  The math says at worst 2 players from this tier will be available to us at 32.  I suspect as many as four will still be there.

Tier 8 - 20%-27% of ballots (3-4) - 6 players ranked 34-39

Gustsafsson, Groulx, Lundkvist, Addison, Marchenko, Tychonik - I can see Groulx, Lundkvist and Marchenko sneaking into the first at the expense of guys ranked ahead of them.

Others - There are another 23 players who appeared on at least ranking list. That makes a total of 61 different players who received at least one 1st rd grade.  In fact, a recent article I read said that their is little statistical rankings difference between players 22-63 ,which seems to correspond nicely to my list.  Some Names to keep an eye on Liam Foudy, Jake Wise, Jay O'Brien and Nic Beaudin.

Thanks for posting this.

Wilde - no, too many issues though RHD and skill level alone would make him an easy pick

Thomas - maybe - Good Prospect, good motor but more of a playmaker than goal scorer

Bokk - Yes, but again I expecct him to go in Rd 1

McLeod - Hard No, doesnt play with intensity and hockey sense has been questioned.

Sandin - Hard to pass over another Rasmus but he is a LHD. I would trade down a few spots as he would be in high demand if still available.

Kaut - Maybe, not the greatest skater but is a good all round winger.

Miller - No, probably gone in rd 1 anyways but LHD is the one slot I would not take.

Dellanndrea - Yes, run to the podium

Olofsson - no, smart 2 way centre. Will be a good prospect but the Sabres need high end skating/skill 

Merkley - no, see Bode Wilde

Berggen - yes, run to the podium

McIssac, Alexeyev and Samuelsson-  No, all good prospects but none have the offensive abilities needed for such a high pick and are all LHD

Gustafsson - No, 2 way center with skating issues

Groulx - doesnt bring enough offense

Lundkvist - Yes, RHD smooth skating RHD

Addison - Maybe, RHD offensive Dman but big questions on his D play

Marchenko - Yes, Size, speed and skill.

Tychonic - big fan of his game but LHD is not a priority

Foudy, O'Brien and Wise - all would be great additions to the Sabres

I agree. LHD are probably out. The run to the podium players are my targets at 32.

If every player in GA's top 6 tiers gets drafted in round 1 (except Dellandrea) thats 27 players off the board.

Sabres would then be guaranteed at least one of Skilled forwards - Dellandrea, Berggren, Foudy, O'Brien, Marchenko. OR RHD Lundkvist

Im pretty happy with any of the 6 names above..

I actually am not big on Foudy. He is fast but some of the rest of his game is meh. 

The good news is there are always 2-3 guys ranked in the 2nd that will go in the first. Like Zarchary Senyshyn (still baffled by this pick) and that will bump some ppl down. 

Baker with some Ty Dellandrea love on WGR right now. Thinks he will go late in round 1 though. 

https://flamesnation.ca/2018/06/20/nhl-draft-scout-series-sleepers-part-1-north-america/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Some sleeper options courtesy of a Flames reporter. 

Baker loving on Filip Hallander. "Gets the puck goes to the net." 

BERGGREN FOR THE WIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://lastwordonhockey.com/2018/06/20/jonatan-berggren-the-speedy-winger-the-philadelphia-flyers-need/

The sheer number of controlled exits and entries completed by Berggren in any one game can be astounding. For instance, Berggren completed 10 controlled exits and 10 controlled entries in Sweden’s semifinal game against Finland at the U-18 tournament recently. Twenty zone transitions with control in a single game is absurd.

Derek Neumeier of @DefendingBigD@RecrutesHockey, and @FCHockey did some research on Berggren’s production and compared it to some current NHLers when they played in the SuperElit at 17 years old. Berggren had a better points-per-game rate in that league than: Nicklas BackstromWilliam KarlssonViktor ArvidssonMika ZibanejadJakob SilfverbergGustav NyquistElias LindholmAlexander WennbergKevin Fialaand Andre Burakovsky.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I would like to see Buffalo add a late 2nd or a early 3rd pick in this draft if possible. Why? Jonny Gruden. Who I apparently left off my list... which is a mistake. Well slot him in at #66 even though he should be listed at about 55. ( https://forums.sabrespace.com/topic/25174-2018-nhl-draft/?p=1060799 )

https://canucksarmy.com/2018/06/06/canucksarmys-2018-nhl-draft-profiles-38-jonathan-gruden/

His GF% and GFREL% are through the roof good and shows that he was a two way player who generated offence at an impressive rate but also suppressed opponents. In the 25 games against USHL competition, he was on the ice for 10 goals against and 33 goals for to give him a +23 goal differential.

Edited by Skurk Liger

I would love for the Sabres to find a way to get Tkachuk, but I don't see any way of it happening without giving up too much and setting the team back.

I think he has an "IT" factor.  Perhaps it's just my exposure to his personality and not others...

Totally agree LTS. and well said.  There is an "it" factor.  If he goes to the Habs, I hope that he doesn't turn into a Sabre Killer like Damphousse.  Man, it seemed like he scored on us every game.

I actually am not big on Foudy. He is fast but some of the rest of his game is meh. 

The good news is there are always 2-3 guys ranked in the 2nd that will go in the first. Like Zarchary Senyshyn (still baffled by this pick) and that will bump some ppl down. 

Baker with some Ty Dellandrea love on WGR right now. Thinks he will go late in round 1 though. 

https://flamesnation.ca/2018/06/20/nhl-draft-scout-series-sleepers-part-1-north-america/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Some sleeper options courtesy of a Flames reporter. 

Baker loving on Filip Hallander. "Gets the puck goes to the net." 

Any kid that plays in London has a chance.

Totally agree LTS. and well said.  There is an "it" factor.  If he goes to the Habs, I hope that he doesn't turn into a Sabre Killer like Damphousse.  Man, it seemed like he scored on us every game.

Tkachuk will have problems scoring when 6'3" Tkachuk has to go through 6'3" Dahlin to get anywhere near the net. 

Two every three?

Remember, if there are only five or six contracts available in the entire organization for goalies.

If they all look like prospects you could struggle to find space to properly develop them.

Edited by dudacek

Two every three?

Remember, if there are only five or six contracts available in the entire organization for goalies.

If they all look like prospects you could struggle to find space to properly develop them.

If he still looks like a prospect after 5 years, trade him.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.