Front Page Redesign

Eleven

A couple points:

1. Over 50% of my traffic comes from mobile, which is a sobering thought given that none of my properties were ever optimized for a mobile experience.

2. Google pushes the design with their algorithm. If a site is not mobile optimized, you get downgraded. 16px is now the Google recommended font size (I can remember using 10/11 pt size a long time ago.) I've tried to add just enough white space to let it breathe, but not going overboard. I've eliminated 50% of the white space from the base theme design. I'm trying to strike a balance. I think the old design was really claustrophobic.

3. My primary goal was to make everything functioning properly for mobile. So, right now - a bunch of items are "good enough" simply because they aren't broken. I have a laundry list of remaining tweaks.

4. Pictures and logos are what makes sports sites attractive. I have to always balance that since the logos aren't mine photos are copyrighted. The eye candy is minimal at the moment, but whatever additional visual pop I cna add has to be legalish and sustainable.

Is there a fan site that stands out to you?

I'm not really complaining, I just figured you were looking for comments. I understand there are limitations to what you can do. I'm just hoping the final product is a little more dressed up.

I'm not really complaining, I just figured you were looking for comments. I understand there are limitations to what you can do. I'm just hoping the final product is a little more dressed up.

that's fine, just putting some reasoning behind the current design. I am open to suggestions on making it a bit more snazzy. Links to sites that visually appeal to people work too...

that's fine, just putting some reasoning behind the current design. I am open to suggestions on making it a bit more snazzy. Links to sites that visually appeal to people work too...

Maybe use your sabrespace on dasher boards logo from the top of this page?

Edited by Eleven

Jokers to left of me... clowns to the right...

Maybe use your sabrespace on dasher boards logo from the top of this page?

Header will change. One thing that breaks responsive mobile design is large images, so I need to be careful there. Retina displays also complicate the issue. I think it will probably just be the logo.

I would like to work our center ice red line in somewhere. A proper spot hasn't jumped out at me yet.

Ok, I made the following changes to the forum threads blocks in the sidebar:

1. Changed name to reflect the link is to the main board (which makes sense since the topics are only from the main board)

2. The Aud Club (Fan Forum) ink goes straight to here.

3. A new window is not opened.

4. Individual topic links go straight to the last unread post.

This is probably what most people want as the behavior.

Don't post, but I visit very often. Mobile sucks primarily because the message board requires you to be in full screen to skip pages or skip to the end.

I personally liked the old design with the players leg hanging off the board as a banner, but agree it was a little too cluttered.  The new design is too simplistic although you probably aren't done.

I do a bit of web work but I'm a software engineer not a designer.  In regards to your image size comment, you can have different pages for mobile so you don't sacrifice big screen design when you have it.  For example slashdot.org. Resize it in your desktop browser to mobile view and holy crap batman, but who does that? Visit on mobile and it gives a presentation similar to what I think you are trying to achieve.  Just some food for thought.

Keep up the good work! You are awesome!

Yes I just posted a twitter link to it on the "thread of things that are awesome". Was trying to copy and past it from my phone. Couldnt figure it out.

Was wondering if there was an easier way do it beside link to a page?

Just a suggestion--if you post your question here, more people might see it / answer it:  http://forums.sabrespace.com/forum/34-questions-and-answers/

1. Changed name to reflect the link is to the main board (which makes sense since the topics are only from the main board)

Thank You!!

Bueno -- thanks!

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.