Sabres Development Camp July 8-11

Brawndo

Any chance Mittelstadt could become a more effective center than Samson?

Just throwing it out there, I know it's too early to tell. He was super impressive, though.

Is the consensus that Reinhart's intelligence/vision would ultimately be wasted as a winger?

Well that's certainly my opinion. I always thought that your best passers (potentially Reinhart?) and your most defensively sound forwards (O'Reilly?) should be playing center, if possible.

Maybe I don't know enough about Mittelstadt yet, but I think he projects as a more skilled player than Reinhart and O'Reilly in terms of skating speed and finishing ability. I would think the team is better served having a talent like him as the left wing to Eichel than as a center on a secondary scoring line.

It's actually Eichel - O'Reilly - Okposo in that scenario.

If O'Reilly is taking the draws and handling the 3rd forward of the other team when the other team has the puck then he's the center, and our franchise player is a glorified winger who is just listed as center to make people feel better.

That's not the worry. The worry is he turns into Moulson as he hits his early 30's and we have a $6 million cap hit riding out his contract on the 4th line.

Eichel will learn to take draws, and become good at it. The great ones do. Crosby was terrible at it at first, too.

And Eichel can afford to cheat a bit on draws. Because if he gets tossed, ROR steps in.

Well that's certainly my opinion. I always thought that your best passers (potentially Reinhart?) and your most defensively sound forwards (O'Reilly?) should be playing center, if possible.

Maybe I don't know enough about Mittelstadt yet, but I think he projects as a more skilled player than Reinhart and O'Reilly in terms of skating speed and finishing ability. I would think the team is better served having a talent like him as the left wing to Eichel than as a center on a secondary scoring line.

Mittelstadt is the type of player that can do it all. He may play wing because Reinhart is best maximized at C, but Mittelstadt could certainly flourish at C, and may.

Just read an article with the following quote:

“He was kind of a short, little fat kid, a late bloomer,” says Mittelstadt’s dad, Tom. 

In Stu's fantasy land he keeps growing and we wind up with his skill set in a Jeff Carter Frame.....You could do a lot worse at 2c

Just read an article with the following quote:

“He was kind of a short, little fat kid, a late bloomer,” says Mittelstadt’s dad, Tom. 

In Stu's fantasy land he keeps growing and we wind up with his skill set in a Jeff Carter Frame.....You could do a lot worse at 2c

Alot worse.  

I've heard a few comparisons to Kessel, who was drafted as a centre.

It gets forgotten a lot because it ended in an embarrassing loss for Canada and the US was just an afterthought, but it happened in the 1981 Canada Cup.

Perreault was leading the tourney with 3 goals and 6 assists in less than four games as the LW on the first line before breaking his leg.

On the right side was Guy Lafluer, in the middle Wayne Gretzky.

Canada had gone undefeated in its first five games, out scoring opponents 36-14. But Scotty Bowman started Mike Liut over his own Don Edwards in the final against the USSR, and Liut melted down, getting shelled 8-1.

Before his injury, Perreault was flying. Maybe the best hockey he ever played.

Here is a great article about Perreault that includes some discussion of that Canada Cup:  http://bleacherreport.com/articles/213593-gilbert-perreault-the-forgotten-frenchman

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.