Sabres Pick #89: Oksari Laaksonen (D)

LGR4GM

21 minutes ago, Derrico said:

Just reading Corey Pronman's Farm system rankings in the Athletic and he is reporting Laaksonen as 6 foot 2 after going through a growth spurt.  Just curious if this changes your guys view on him with the new information.  Pronman has him ranked 7th in the system, ahead of guys like Ullmark and Oloffson.

As I've mentioned before, there was a lot of negative reaction to JBott's draft around here.  I've heard some pretty great stories about some of our non-Dahlin picks thus far.  Can't wait to see if we can develop some of them.

Read the entire thread. My view is there. I still maintain Botterill drafting Samuelsson instead of Berggren is a mistake even though I think both will be NHL players.  

On 6/24/2017 at 12:09 PM, LGR4GM said:

he is supposedly 6'-6'1" but is most assuredly not 5'9" anymore. 

On 6/24/2017 at 12:25 PM, LGR4GM said:

He's 6' according to his teams website in Finland and that seems accurate. He could be slightly taller now. No he was not at the combine as far as I am aware. Someone might be able to verify that. 

On 6/24/2017 at 2:59 PM, LGR4GM said:

MYSTERY! DANGER! INTRIGUE!!!!!! 

Well after a few hours of being meh, I really don't care that they took him. They know more than me and clearly know something I do not. 

On 6/24/2017 at 4:00 PM, LGR4GM said:

He's 6' or 6'1". His Finnish team has him listed as 6' according to twitter. Apparently the scouts really advocated for this kid and Botterill decided to trust them.

also, look at those flowing locks!  :wub:

On 6/25/2017 at 11:03 AM, LGR4GM said:
On 6/25/2017 at 12:17 AM, Taro T said:

Really wanted Farrance at 89. That the team w/ @ worst the 3rd best D corp in the league grabbed him 3 picks later makes it more frustrating.

Didn't think he'd make the show for more than a cup of coffee; but if Nashville believes ...

Scotty Nichol saw a lot of him prior to USDT.

I think Farrance at 89 would have been perfect

On 7/10/2017 at 10:01 AM, LGR4GM said:

While I still think Farrance at #89 would have been nice, let's talk about Oskari Laaksonen.  He is growing on me. Might be recency bias because I went out and tried to dig up everything written on him but he seems to be a solid player. In addition, some light reading from Dev Camp on our darkhorse defender.

http://buffalonews.com/2017/07/09/mystery-draft-pick-revealed-laaksonen-gets-chance-sabres-camp/ 

https://www.nhl.com/sabres/news/oskari-laaksonen-sabres-third-round-pick/c-290337418

While I did and still do like Farrance, after learning that Laaksonen wasn't 5'9" and doing more research on him, I had less problem with the pick and was aware of his growth spurt almost immediately after the post you original quote. 

Edited by LGR4GM

13 minutes ago, TheCerebral1 said:

Those are the types of moves that we need, this is a home run if he continues to build off of his impressive showing at the U-20. 

Especially after 2nd round which is such a crap shoot anyway... you are looking for late bloomers and guys who suddenly have the light switch go on.  It can happen with teenagers but very hard to predict.

• 2 months later...

https://finnprospects.com/player/oskari-laaksonen/

Might be a steal on D for us, kid is having a great season.    Probably still a year away from the NHL, but if you are looking for a possible top pairing on D.

This kid might be our solution for bumping Risto down to 2nd pair by 2020.    

• Like (+1) 1

41 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

https://finnprospects.com/player/oskari-laaksonen/

Might be a steal on D for us, kid is having a great season.    Probably still a year away from the NHL, but if you are looking for a possible top pairing on D.

This kid might be our solution for bumping Risto down to 2nd pair by 2020.    

Again he continues to surprise but moving from Europe to NA isn’t always an easy transition.  Look at Asplunds 1 pt in 16 games for the Amerks.  

Until he skates for the Amerks and we see how he does over here, he is just a middle rd pick with good headlines.  We saw similar headlines for Asplund, Bailey, Baptiste, Fasching, Davidsson, Guhle and Pu to name a few.  

EXGMTM was brought in mainly due to his eye for the draft.  Still early but his drafts are just looking mediocre.  Wouldn’t it be ironic if JBotts knocked his first draft out of the park?  Still very early but some encouraging signs from the later round picks.

38 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Again he continues to surprise but moving from Europe to NA isn’t always an easy transition.  Look at Asplunds 1 pt in 16 games for the Amerks.  

Until he skates for the Amerks and we see how he does over here, he is just a middle rd pick with good headlines.  We saw similar headlines for Asplund, Bailey, Baptiste, Fasching, Davidsson, Guhle and Pu to name a few.  

Yeah I just got excited when I read somewhere a couple of days ago he was being compared to Heiskanen in Finland.

5 minutes ago, Derrico said:

EXGMTM was brought in mainly due to his eye for the draft.  Still early but his drafts are just looking mediocre.  Wouldn’t it be ironic if JBotts knocked his first draft out of the park?  Still very early but some encouraging signs from the later round picks.

I mean... Reinhart, Lemieux, Olofsson from 2014 before he had his full staff

2015: Eichel, Guhle, Borgen

2016: Asplund, Pu, Fitzgerald and Nylander

I would say he was decent although there are not any home runs there yet. Botterill in 2017 might come away with Mitts, Davidsson, K6, Laaskonen and possibly Weisbach which would be stellar. In 2018 he had Dahlin, Samuelsson and then some question marks still. 

2 hours ago, Derrico said:

Of his 25 picks over 3 years. we have 2 players, who were both 2nd overall picks.  Anyone could have made those picks.  Of his other 23 picks there is a chance that up to 6 more become NHL players but the early returns aren’t great and I’d guess 3 or less make an impact in the NHL.

Nylander is still not a pt a game player at 20 years old.  This usually means that the players impact in the NHL will be limited to 3rd line or less

Asplund - the key to the Pysyk trade, has 1 pt in 16 AHL games and projects at best as a 3rd line center

Pu - was traded to get Skinner, but is struggling to get going in the AHL

Guhle - look likes a bottom pairing guy in the NHL and has been passed by Pilut as our top D prospect.  Still like his future

Borgen - Physical D has a reasonable chance of being a bottom pair D some day. May still be two years away however.

Olosson - 7th rd find lighting up AHL to start the season but is already 23.  

Now add the picks he traded away, such as 2 1sts in 2015 and guys like Compher and Zadarov and you really have to question his ability to judge young talent.

2 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

Yeah I just got excited when I read somewhere a couple of days ago he was being compared to Heiskanen in Finland.

I used to get excited about good reports from the field and certainly good reports are better then bad ones.  However, after Bailey, Nylander and Baptiste I’m taking a wait and see on most prospects. I will say this, I thought Oskari was a stupid pick, but once chosen I hope he becomes a player and am glad he is proving me wrong so far.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

Nylander has 14 points in 17 AHL games this year and 2 points in a total of 7 NHL games.

There were 14 forwards chosen after him in the first round:

Tyson Jost has put up 28 points in 84 NHL games, 2 points in 5 AHL games

Logan Brown 1 in 4 NHL, 1 in 3 AHL this year

Luke Kunin 4 in 19 NHL, 8 in 12 AHL

Henrik Borgstrom 1 in 4, 14 in 14 AHL games

Tage Thompson 10 in 54 NHL

Brett Howden 11 in 19 NHL, 

Sam Steel 3 in 13 NHL, 3 in 5 AHL

Mike McLeod no NHL games, 5 in 17 AHL games

Keifer Bellows no NHL games, 9 points in 18 AHL games

Julien Gauthier no  NHL games, 11 points in 17 AHL games, 

German Rubtsov, no NHL games, 10 in 14 AHL games

Max Jones no NHL games, 6 points in 9 AHL games

Riley Tufte no NHL games, 7 points in 12 college games

Trent Frederic no NHL games, 5 points in 13 AHL games

As Neo would say, perspective.

48 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Nylander has 14 points in 17 AHL games this year and 2 points in a total of 7 NHL games.

There were 14 forwards chosen after him in the first round:

Tyson Jost has put up 28 points in 84 NHL games, 2 points in 5 AHL games

Logan Brown 1 in 4 NHL, 1 in 3 AHL this year

Luke Kunin 4 in 19 NHL, 8 in 12 AHL

Henrik Borgstrom 1 in 4, 14 in 14 AHL games

Tage Thompson 10 in 54 NHL

Brett Howden 11 in 19 NHL, 

Sam Steel 3 in 13 NHL, 3 in 5 AHL

Mike McLeod no NHL games, 5 in 17 AHL games

Keifer Bellows no NHL games, 9 points in 18 AHL games

Julien Gauthier no  NHL games, 11 points in 17 AHL games, 

German Rubtsov, no NHL games, 10 in 14 AHL games

Max Jones no NHL games, 6 points in 9 AHL games

Riley Tufte no NHL games, 7 points in 12 college games

Trent Frederic no NHL games, 5 points in 13 AHL games

As Neo would say, perspective.

In hindsight the pick should have been Sergachev.  But I get that is hindsight and it's not an easy process drafting these kids.

• Thanks (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, Derrico said:

In hindsight the pick should have been Sergachev.  But I get that is hindsight and it's not an easy process drafting these kids.

Except Sergachev and Nylander were rated about the same and we needed a top flight D.  So of course TM takes another forward. Nylander was a terrible pick then and a worse one now.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

3 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

I mean... Reinhart, Lemieux, Olofsson from 2014 before he had his full staff

2015: Eichel, Guhle, Borgen

2016: Asplund, Pu, Fitzgerald and Nylander

I would say he was decent although there are not any home runs there yet. Botterill in 2017 might come away with Mitts, Davidsson, K6, Laaskonen and possibly Weisbach which would be stellar. In 2018 he had Dahlin, Samuelsson and then some question marks still. 

Him and olofsson might turn us into the red wings.    Almost forgot about him, he had as good a season than Mittelstadt.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.