Hey JBot, Do Something Already!

GASabresIUFAN

The contract number is also not a factor. His contract doesn't count until July and about 10 contract will fall off for the unsigned rfas and UFAs.

So it'll come down to whether or not Botterill thinks he's worth it. Can't see why he wouldn't get the contract, Estephan has been improving steadily each year. But it's May 18, so who knows.

So it'll come down to whether or not Botterill thinks he's worth it. Can't see why he wouldn't get the contract, Estephan has been improving steadily each year. But it's May 18, so who knows.

I checked capfriendly today and we only have 27 players under contract for next season. We have 4 NHL RFA's and 4 AHL legit RFA's. We also a large group on UFA's, but I think as few as 3 might be re-signed (Gionta, Nilsson and Schneider). That puts us at 38 players. Add Antipin for 39.

The breakdown would be; NHL F:13, D 6, G:2. AHL F:12, D 5, G:2. Plenty of room to add more depth and Estephan. Frankly, Roch could really use him. The current centers slated for Roch are Cornel, Erod and Malone.

I checked capfriendly today and we only have 27 players under contract for next season. We have 4 NHL RFA's and 4 AHL legit RFA's. We also a large group on UFA's, but I think as few as 3 might be re-signed (Gionta, Nilsson and Schneider). That puts us at 38 players. Add Antipin for 39.

The breakdown would be; NHL F:13, D 6, G:2. AHL F:12, D 5, G:2. Plenty of room to add more depth and Estephan. Frankly, Roch could really use him. The current centers slated for Roch are Cornel, Erod and Malone.

That's why I'm surprised it's taken this long. Even odds he gets signed at this point, I think.

So what do we have so far.....

Danforth signed for Rochester,

Antipin arriving on the 29th,

Maybe Sexton for an AGM post (and Rochester GM?).

Still no Estephan or even a hint of a coach being interviewed. No word on PP coach Wood or Goalie coach Allen or Amerks coach Lambert.

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

So what do we have so far.....

Danforth signed for Rochester,

Antipin arriving on the 29th,

Maybe Sexton for an AGM post (and Rochester GM?).

Still no Estephan or even a hint of a coach being interviewed. No word on PP coach Wood or Goalie coach Allen or Amerks coach Lambert.

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

Hey, you want a story a day.zzzzzzzzzzzzzz

He's had talks with Lambert and has further talks scheduled this week.

The NHL assistants are in a holding pattern. The new coach will decide their future.

He will have input, but says management forcing assistants on a coach is a mistake.

He is also studying the reports our scouts have been filing over the years to see who has been hitting and who has been missing.

Said there were a bunch of nervous people during the scouting meetings, but they went well and he was impressed with how Crisp ran things.

Guy is far more cautious than Murray, but he seems prepared for every question and exudes a quiet confidence.

Edited by dudacek

He's had talks with Lambert and has further talks scheduled this week.

The NHL assistants are in a holding pattern. The new coach will decide their future.

He will have input, but says management forcing assistants on a coach is a mistake.

He is also studying the reports our scouts have been filing over the years to see who has been hitting and who has been missing.

Said there were a bunch of nervous people during the scouting meetings, but they went well and he was impressed with how Crisp ran things.

Guy is far more cautious than Murray, but he seems prepared for every question and exudes a quiet confidence.

This makes me feel better.

remember exGMTM was the one that laid the groundwork to sign Antinpin...he also stole OReilly and got us Kane for whatever (jury is still out but Myers who is still trying to find himself, Stafford is well Stafford, and the young guys are nothing to get too excited about), Lerner who I along with many others think is a NHL goalie (still young too) and I have no doubt he would have actively pursued another defenceman so while I think our new GM may get a lot of the credit, I do think that exGMTM did more then he is given credit for. If Kulikov had not got hurt in that freak accident and had played even close to his potential I think our D would have been that much better last year. Injuries did play a big part along with the coach's horrible system (which I guess we can blame exGMTM and say he should have done something about that far earlier which I suppose may be true)...

Edited by Sabre fan

Is not signing 2 prospects doing something?

So what is the Jbot score board to date?

1) signed Antipin

2) signed Johansson

3) Fired Lambert and staff

4) new ECHL team

5) Hired Sexton? Has this actually happened?

6) Interviewed Boughner for HC job.

7) Signed Danforth for Rochester

Edited by GASabresFan

remember exGMTM was the one that laid the groundwork to sign Antinpin...he also stole OReilly and got us Kane for whatever (jury is still out but Myers who is still trying to find himself, Stafford is well Stafford, and the young guys are nothing to get too excited about), Lerner who I along with many others think is a NHL goalie (still young too) and I have no doubt he would have actively pursued another defenceman so while I think our new GM may get a lot of the credit, I do think that exGMTM did more then he is given credit for. If Kulikov had not got hurt in that freak accident and had played even close to his potential I think our D would have been that much better last year. Injuries did play a big part along with the coach's horrible system (which I guess we can blame exGMTM and say he should have done something about that far earlier which I suppose may be true)...

I liked Murray and he deserves a lot of credit for building a team with very little talent into a solid roster to build on.  However I disagree about him doing something earlier about the system as I don't think GM's should get involved in that during the season, that's should be left to the coach.  He had an opportunity after the season to convince the owners how he'd address the system and the answer appears to have been not good enough.  It is time to move on though and I think we got a good one in Bots. 

Edited by 7+6=13

Is not signing 2 prospects doing something?

So what is the Jbot score board to date?

1) signed Antipin

2) signed Johansson

3) Fired Lambert and staff

4) new ECHL team

5) Hired Sexton? Has this actually happened?

6) Interviewed Boughner for HC job.

7) Signed Danforth for Rochester

#6: from the sounds of it he's interviewed a number of people, Boughner is getting press as he hasn't been discussed much around here before and is a former Sabre.

Here is the deal with Gorges.  We all agree that he is at best an overpaid marginal NHL player at this point in his career.  So what are our options

1) Keep him on the roster for one more year, pay him his 3.9 and then let him walk next summer.  Not a completely terrible option as long as he is not in the top 6, we don't need some extra cap space or the contract space or the roster spot.

2) Send him down to the minors.  This would save us 950K in cap, but we'd still be on the hook for the contract and $3.9 mill in actual salary.  Could this actually help the Amerks?  Did Rivet?  This has the added feature of someone claiming him if we try to recall him and opening a roster spot in Buffalo.

3) Buy him out.  Cost. 1.3 for the next two seasons.  Cap saving this next season 2.6 mill.  Cap cost the year after 1.3  Obviously the cap cost the second year could be an issue, but I doubt it. Also it removes the contract from our total, opens a roster spot for hopefully a cheap and better player and saves the organization $1.3 mill in actual $.  The real advantage here is the opening of the roster spot and the actual money saved.  In theory, this would give Jbot 2.6 mill to spend on a free agent upgrade.  Considering that guys like Quincy and Seidenberg can be had for 1.5 this makes a great deal of sense.  

4) Pray LV takes Gorges in the expansion draft.  What kind of incentive would we have to do to get this done?  A 2nd rd pick?  A prospect?  I'm not willing to waste an asset to get that done and I hope Jbot isn't either.

5) Trade him and retain some salary.

Obviously, the best thing that can happen is LV takes Gorges without an incentive from us.  However, I doubt that is going to happen.  No. 5 would be a miracle.  It would save the roster spot, cap and real $, therefore it's highly unlikely. My least favorite option is No.1.  Keeping him in Buffalo is a huge mistake IMHO.  I don't mind No. 2 other then I think it's a waste to pay someone $3.9 mill to play in the minors.  That leaves buying him out.  Y'all may not like this option because you mistakenly feel the $1.3 mill in cap for year 2 will be a problem.  Remember that's less then 2% of the cap.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.