Captain Jack

LGR4GM

Captain is not a GM decision.  It's the coach's decision.  And contrary to popular sentiment, no, it's not time.  The time to name a new captain is training camp, once the roster is established. 

Generally, I would absolutely say that you are correct.  That said, this team needs such a kick in the ass it isn't funny.

I was of the feeling that Jack was not ready.  I have not had time to follow his post season comments, but from what I have read here ... I have changed my mind.

Eich needs to be named captain and it should happen today.  This is his team now and he needs to run with it.  There is no need to see what happens to the roster in the off-season.  Any additions will not be the captain.

Generally, I would absolutely say that you are correct.  That said, this team needs such a kick in the ass it isn't funny.

I was of the feeling that Jack was not ready.  I have not had time to follow his post season comments, but from what I have read here ... I have changed my mind.

Eich needs to be named captain and it should happen today.  This is his team now and he needs to run with it.  There is no need to see what happens to the roster in the off-season.  Any additions will not be the captain.

IF they did bring in someone from outside and name them captain this team has 100X more problems then we thought. 

Captain is not a GM decision.  It's the coach's decision.  And contrary to popular sentiment, no, it's not time.  The time to name a new captain is training camp, once the roster is established. 

It should be the players' decision.

And just to clarify, when I wrote "It's time," I just meant that he's ready.  I wouldn't expect an announcement before camp, either.

It should be the players' decision.

And just to clarify, when I wrote "It's time," I just meant that he's ready.  I wouldn't expect an announcement before camp, either.

I'll agree with the second part. 

For the first part, it's the coach's decision, but any coach worth his salt will take player chemistry/preference into account.  My response was primarily in response to ShadowLiger's post that preceded mine.

I'll agree with the second part. 

For the first part, it's the coach's decision, but any coach worth his salt will take player chemistry/preference into account.  My response was primarily in response to ShadowLiger's post that preceded mine.

Yeah, I know.  I'm the guy who always wants to return to the old days of the players electing the captain.

To what benefit?  It's the offseason.  If it's a slam-dunk that Jack gets the C, wait until training camp and use the elevated mood of a newly minted captain to put a positive cast on the camp.  Use it as a way to open the door on next season (while leaving this season in the distant past).  I think the wounds are still too fresh from this season to move on.  Let the players deal with the disappointment now, but wait until they can do something about it in the fall before naming a new captain.  Let it be part of a new beginning.

Edited by Doohickie

To what benefit?  It's the offseason.  If it's a slam-dunk that Jack gets the C, wait until training camp and use the elevated mood of a newly minted captain to put a positive cast on the camp.  Use it as a way to open the door on next season (while leaving this season in the distant past).  I think the wounds are still too fresh from this season to move on.  Let the players deal with the disappointment now, but wait until they can do something about it in the fall before naming a new captain.  Let it be part of a new beginning.

I get that, but by making the announcement today maybe, just maybe, that mood you are talking about will start now and carry them through the summer and into camp and then into next season.

Is Bylsma responsible for the Alternate Captain choices too?  

Astonishingly bad decision that Eichel wasn't wearing at least an "A" this season, if not "C".   More stupidity by Bylsma?

Is Bylsma responsible for the Alternate Captain choices too?  

Astonishingly bad decision that Eichel wasn't wearing at least an "A" this season, if not "C".   More stupidity by Bylsma?

He manages the roster that's in the NHL.  So, yeah.

I get that, but by making the announcement today maybe, just maybe, that mood you are talking about will start now and carry them through the summer and into camp and then into next season.

To what end?  What does it matter if they're happy now?  It does absolutely nothing for the success of the team in the fall.  The timing of the announcement should be chosen to get maximum effect.

I don't even know what that's supposed to mean, and personally I want Jack spending his summer thinking of self-improvement anyway without worrying about the platform planks of his captaincy.

It means instead of Jack walking in the door day 1 and becoming captain and having to adjust, he becomes Captain now and can start to wrap his head around it and be ready to be a Captain on day 1. He's going to work out and self reflect regardless because he's clearly already doing that. 

After hearing that press conference I see no way and no reason Jack will not be captain for next year. He clearly is the leader on that team and he's a vocal leader who can back it up. Is he perfect yet? no. I do get the feeling the more responsibility you hand to him the more responsible he will be. He seems to hold himself and those around him to a higher standard and we need that.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.