What is Lehner worth????

Sabre fan

Okay, I think most goalies are over paid anyways, but I think Robin Lehner is a RFA this summer, which leads us to a very critical situation. We obviously have to re0sign him (gave up far too much not to) so what the heck is this guy worth? Verdict is still out on whether he is truly a #1 and we will probably lose Ulmark to Las Vegas so what of our goaltending situation? Not sure what the answer is here to be honest... 

Qualifying offer would be $3.15M for one year.  Bridge contract would be 2 years.

It's possible that Lehner attracts an offer sheet, but in order for us to not match, based on compensatory picks, he'd probably have to be offered >$5.5M (1st, 2nd and 3rd rounders, instead of just 1st and 3rd); it's unlikely a team would do that.

If GMTM is in on him for the long haul, I'd expect something like $4-5M AAV for 4-5 years; that'd rank Lehner 26th-18th in goalie cap hit.  If GMTM's wants to do a wait and see, he may just get a bridge contract, maybe $3.5-4M for two years, but this risks a bigger caphit on a longterm contract two years from now - especially if our defense improves and he really starts to shine.

I don't feel that we're pressed for cap space, so going beyond a bridge now to keep costs down later is reasonable.  I think Lehner's been a very underrated goalie hidden behind a defense -maybe the league's worst defense- and he shows signs of being a very capable starting goaltender.  I'd like to see 4 years at $4.5M.  I think that's fair to all involved and could potentially be very good value in those UFA years.

No way, no how, am I okay with more than a bridge for Lehner. Contrary to popular belief, I actually think his weaknesses are insulated by the system we play. Lots of shots, but most aren't especially dangerous, and he's good at stopping those. He's abysmal at stopping quality chances from the high percentage areas, but the way we play, there's not too many of those going his way.

No way, no how, am I okay with more than a bridge for Lehner. Contrary to popular belief, I actually think his weaknesses are insulated by the system we play. Lots of shots, but most aren't especially dangerous, and he's good at stopping those. He's abysmal at stopping quality chances from the high percentage areas, but the way we play, there's not too many of those going his way.

But we won't be playing like that next season

Co-sign.

I don't think anyone is going to make a serious run or offer to Lehner this offseason, he just hasn't been good enough for the teams in need of a starting goaltender to go after him, there are plenty of others out there that will get attention over him. He could get some interest as a cheap backup option, but I doubt he gets someone making an offer to him as a RFA for that role. (If he was a UFA I'm sure some teams would be making some backup position offers)

As for Ullmark, I doubt Vegas is sniffing around Buffalo for a goaltender with the options that will be available to them. They may have a shot at Fleury, Luongo, Mason, Halak, or another veteran with experience who can give them a solid starter to start out with, and there will be other options that they will have for a backup/young development guy instead of Ullmark who hasn't really been attracting much attention around the league.

With Vegas being able to pick only one player per team, I would almost guarantee their choice from Buffalo would not be a goaltender, they are going to take a defencemen or Forward (Moulson, Ennis, Bogo, Gorges). A veteran guy who will give them experience and might be able to help out right away

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.