2018-19 lineup

Crusader1969

The topic of trading Kane got me thinking about 2 years down the road when he is a UFA

What does your projected lineup look like and what are the salaries?

Here are the guys already signed:

O'Reilly $7.5mill

Okposo $6mill

Risto $5.4mill

Bogo $5.1mill

Moulson $5

Ennis $4.6

McCabe $1.6

Eichel and Samson will be done their ELC contracts.

it will take a miracle but somehow that Moulson contract has to be off books by then

I think they buyout Moulson this summer. Won't be a big hit.

$2.8M next season and $3.8M in 2018-19 is pretty significant to me, especially with low/no cap growth. I'd rather bury in Rochester for two years at $4.1M hits.

https://capfriendly.com/buyout_calculator/matt-moulson#results

Edited by TrueBlueGED

I would call Columbus and see if they would trade Clarkson for Moulson. Make sure Clarkson never passes a physical and stash him on LTIR. Sabres would then be able to go $5 mill over cap -allowing them the space to potentially sign Eichel, Reinhart and Kane.

Does Eichel for $8 , Samson for $5.5 and Kane for $6 sound right?

Edited by Crusader1969

I would call Columbus and see if they would trade Clarkson for Moulson. Make sure Clarkson never passes a physical and stash him on LTIR. Sabres would then be able to go $5 mill over cap -allowing them the space to potentially sign Eichel, Reinhart and Kane.

Does Eichel for $8 , Samson for $5.5 and Kane for $6 sound right?

Very creative. I like it.

Wow! 2018-19?

Getting a little ahead of ourselves, no?

And Eichel at 8 mil? No.

There is a whole thread of what to do with Kane. You have to look at the 2018/19 season to make an informed decision. Can you afford him after his contract expires. If not, trade him now. His value may never be higher.

Who would you use as a comparable for Eichel? McKinnon got $6.5Mill., Barkov Avg of $5.9mill, Seguin $5.7mill, Tyler Hall $6. Taveres $5.5.

I'd think max $8 for Jack. Though it will be interesting what McDavid gets, They were talking $12mill on TSN radio. 

Here is where they stand:

Forwards

Eichel $7.5Mill

Samson $5.5 Mill

Kane $6mill

O'Reilly $7.5mill

Okposo $6mill

Moulson $5

Ennis $4.6

Defence

McCabe $1.6

Risto $5.4mill

Bogo $5.1mill

10 Players and $55million in salary. Doesnt leave a lot to fill out the rest of the roster

Guehle, Nylander would still be on their ELC. so there is another $2mill.  

thats $18million and still 11 players to pay. 

Edited by Crusader1969

Eichel at $7 x 8

Reinhart at 5.5 x 5

And buy only 1 of Sam's UFA years? No way.

McDavid's contract doesnt' mean anything, he's likely going to have two Art Rosses before it even goes into place. Jack's not yet a 70 point player.

I'm expecting something similar to MacKinnon's deal, maybe a hair higher. Barkov would be sweet though. 

Whatever it is, go 8 years.

He may not have any at the pace Crosby is going, but I agree with your main point.

There is a whole thread of what to do with Kane. You have to look at the 2018/19 season to make an informed decision. Can you afford him after his contract expires. If not, trade him now. His value may never be higher.

Who would you use as a comparable for Eichel? McKinnon got $6.5Mill., Barkov Avg of $5.9mill, Seguin $5.7mill, Tyler Hall $6. Taveres $5.5.

I'd think max $8 for Jack. Though it will be interesting what McDavid gets, They were talking $12mill on TSN radio. 

Here is where they stand:

Forwards

Eichel $7.5Mill

Samson $5.5 Mill

Kane $6mill

O'Reilly $7.5mill

Okposo $6mill

Moulson $5

Ennis $4.6

Defence

McCabe $1.6

Risto $5.4mill

Bogo $5.1mill

10 Players and $55million in salary. Doesnt leave a lot to fill out the rest of the roster

Guehle, Nylander would still be on their ELC. so there is another $2mill.  

thats $18million and still 11 players to pay. 

Don't forget that Baptiste, Ullmark and Bailey maybe all on the team next year and will be RFA's at season's end.  Therefore they will be on their 2nd contracts for 2018-19.  What if Bailey and/or Baptiste breakout playing in a top 6 role next year?  Both have 20 goal skill. They could easily have a 40 pt season playing with ROR and Okposo.  What do you pay them then? $2.25 per on a 2 year bridge deal?  What is GMTM acquires a player like Brodin, who is 223 and already has a $4.13 mill per season contract?  We are going to have to get out from under Ennis and Moulson.

One good thing is that both have salaries in their deals below their cap hits.  This fact might help them get selected by LV or traded to a team that wants the cap hit to get to the floor, but not have to pay them that kind of money.  I do think there is a fairly good chance Moulson does get bought out this summer.  He is due an additional $3 mill in a roster bonus.  However, if bought out, we still get a $3.8 mill cap hit for him in 2018-19, the year we really need the cap space.

Don't forget that Baptiste, Ullmark and Bailey maybe all on the team next year and will be RFA's at season's end.  Therefore they will be on their 2nd contracts for 2018-19.  What if Bailey and/or Baptiste breakout playing in a top 6 role next year?  Both have 20 goal skill. They could easily have a 40 pt season playing with ROR and Okposo.  What do you pay them then? $2.25 per on a 2 year bridge deal?  What is GMTM acquires a player like Brodin, who is 223 and already has a $4.13 mill per season contract?  We are going to have to get out from under Ennis and Moulson.

One good thing is that both have salaries in their deals below their cap hits.  This fact might help them get selected by LV or traded to a team that wants the cap hit to get to the floor, but not have to pay them that kind of money.  I do think there is a fairly good chance Moulson does get bought out this summer.  He is due an additional $3 mill in a roster bonus.  However, if bought out, we still get a $3.8 mill cap hit for him in 2018-19, the year we really need the cap space.

And there is a very strong possibility that Ennis goes to Vegas - so they're out from under his cap hit this off-season.

And Moulson will be a Sabre in '17-'18 but will very likely get traded to 2018's version of this year's Yotes (a team looking to be liw budget but w/ a reasonable cap hit).

There is much hand wringing over matters that will most likely resolve themselves when they actually should be dealt with.

The lineup transformation hopefully will begin soon. (as in Tomorrow and Wednesday)\

We need to upgrade the bottom 6 and 4/6 D,

Upfront: Jack, Sam, ROR and Okposo are certain to be back next season. (obviously). Ennis, Moulson, Kane, and Deslauriers plus Baptiste, Carrier and Bailey are under contract for next season, but there is no guarantee that all will be back next season.

Foligno, E Rod, Larsson and Girgensons and RFAs. Gionta the only UFA of note.

On Defense: Risto, McCabe, Falk, Bogo and Gorges are all under contract next season but if this is our D group next year GMTM has some splaining to do. Guhle is also under contract and will join the Sabres/Amerks at his Jr season's conclusion. Franson, Kulikov and Fedun are UFAs.

In Goal Ullmark and Lehner are RFAs with Nilsson a UFA.

At this point out I figure that GMTM will go with a 7-3-1 for expansion.

Protected players:

F: ROR, Okposo, Kane (if not traded), Foligno, Girgensons, Carrier and .........Larsson? Ennis?

D: Risto, McCabe and ........ (hopefully someone acquired now or just after the season)

G: Lehner

Predicted player lost to LV: Ullmark!

Prospects signed in the off-season. Malone, Florentino, Borgen, Petersen, Pu (but he goes back to Jrs) and Asplund.

My guess at next year's roster.

L1 Ennis ROR Okposo

L2 Palat EIchel Reinhart

L3 Foligno Girgensons Bailey

L4 Moulson Rodrigues Carrier

Deslauriers

D1 McCabe Ristolainen

D2 Alzner Vatanen

D3 Guhle Bogosian

Falk

G Lehner, Nilsson

Kane traded for Vatanen

Alzner signed as an UFA 3 years 9 mill

Palat acquired from TB for Baptiste, 2nd in 2017 and 2nd in 2018.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

The lineup transformation hopefully will begin soon. (as in Tomorrow and Wednesday)\

We need to upgrade the bottom 6 and 4/6 D,  

Upfront: Jack, Sam, ROR and Okposo are certain to be back next season. (obviously).  Ennis, Moulson, Kane, and Deslauriers plus Baptiste, Carrier and Bailey are under contract for next season, but there is no guarantee that all will be back next season.

Foligno, E Rod, Larsson and Girgensons and RFAs.  Gionta the only UFA of note.

On Defense:  Risto, McCabe, Falk, Bogo and Gorges are all under contract next season but if this is our D group next year GMTM has some splaining to do.  Guhle is also under contract and will join the Sabres/Amerks at his Jr season's conclusion.  Franson, Kulikov and Fedun are UFAs.  

In Goal Ullmark and Lehner are RFAs with Nilsson a UFA.  

At this point out I figure that GMTM will go with a 7-3-1 for expansion.

Protected players:

F:  ROR, Okposo, Kane (if not traded), Foligno, Girgensons, Carrier and .........Larsson?  Ennis? 

D: Risto, McCabe and ........ (hopefully someone acquired now or just after the season)

G: Lehner

Predicted player lost to LV:  Ullmark!

Prospects signed in the off-season.  Malone, Florentino, Borgen, Petersen, Pu (but he goes back to Jrs) and Asplund.

My guess at next year's roster.

L1 Ennis ROR Okposo

L2  Palat EIchel Reinhart

L3 Foligno Girgensons Bailey

L4 Moulson Rodrigues Carrier

Deslauriers

D1 McCabe Ristolainen

D2 Alzner Vatanen

D3 Guhle Bogosian

Falk

G Lehner, Nilsson

Kane traded for Vatanen

Alzner signed as an UFA 3 years 9 mill

Palat acquired from TB for Baptiste, 2nd in 2017 and 2nd in 2018.

Trading Kane may be a reality of cap era hockey, but I just hate the thought of trading the guy.  I think he's just the kind of guy this team needs.

Doohickie, trading Kane is not anyone's first choice, but it maybe the only way to get the top 4 D we are desperate for.

When you say top four, do you really mean top 2?

Are we talking McCabe or Ristolainen here? Manson or Fowler?

The phrase is so imprecise.

A legitimate top four would rank somewhere between 50 and 100th overall in the league, IMO.

Because you can get a Anton Stralman or a Jeff Petry or a Jake Gardiner or a Toni Lydman or an Andrej Sekera by trading a second or third round pick under the right circumstances. Most of us thought we were getting one with Kulikov.

Yes, we need a top 2, but not a partner for Risto. We need someone who can do much of what Risto does and take some of those minutes so that we can stop running Risto into the ground.

You mentioned giving some of ROR's minutes to Eichel and I agree. We need a D we can do with for Risto long-term. We'll be the better for it.

That would be a Fowler, a Shattenkirk, even a Vatanen. I was hoping and I'm sure GMTM has hoping Bogo would be that guy, especially for what we are paying him, but that is not the case. I think GMTM was hoping Kulikov would be the either Bogo's or Risto's long-term partner and play a smart steady game, but that is also not the case.

My long-term hope is that Borgen and Guhle eventually become that steady second pair, but until that time, we need good guys to fill those roles now that the others have failed.

Yes, we need a top 2, but not a partner for Risto. We need someone who can do much of what Risto does and take some of those minutes so that we can stop running Risto into the ground.

You mentioned giving some of ROR's minutes to Eichel and I agree. We need a D we can do with for Risto long-term. We'll be the better for it.

That would be a Fowler, a Shattenkirk, even a Vatanen. I was hoping and I'm sure GMTM has hoping Bogo would be that guy, especially for what we are paying him, but that is not the case. I think GMTM was hoping Kulikov would be the either Bogo's or Risto's long-term partner and play a smart steady game, but that is also not the case.

My long-term hope is that Borgen and Guhle eventually become that steady second pair, but until that time, we need good guys to fill those roles now that the others have failed.

Agree completely with all of the above.

When you say top four, do you really mean top 2?

Are we talking McCabe or Ristolainen here? Manson or Fowler?

The phrase is so imprecise.

A legitimate top four would rank somewhere between 50 and 100th overall in the league, IMO.

Because you can get a Anton Stralman or a Jeff Petry or a Jake Gardiner or a Toni Lydman or an Andrej Sekera by trading a second or third round pick under the right circumstances. Most of us thought we were getting one with Kulikov.

Stralman was only cheap because many GMs are still idiots when it comes to evaluating defensemen. He's a legit top pairing guy. Sadly, I think Murray is the guy who would be trading an Anton Stralman away for peanuts because he's not big or physical enough.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.