DIY Backyard Ice Rink

inkman

Have you ever considered an asphalt rink with a 2 inch curb all around? No need for a tarp liner. Just fill with water. (You do leave a drain hole in the corner that you plug.)

Interesting idea.  Do you have experience with this?  I'd guess it would be well into the thousands.....but less than a refrigeration system.  I think refridge is the way to go if you have a lot of cash.  We've skated 1 day so far this year, and forecast is for next 10 days (roc).

• 2 weeks later...

I used to build one every year when my kids were younger. It was always a pain in the ass keeping it skateable just because the weather never cooperated. The winters aren't nearly as cold as they used to be when I was young. Our rinks back then would be frozen for 2-3 months straight. Then when we got older we just started playing on the canal. Up there you could shovel off regulation size sheets of ice.....greenish brown ice that is. Hopefully the rest of Jan/Feb stay cold enough for you. But you should definitely be skating this wknd. Gonna get colder each night/day until Monday.

Edited by Claude Balls

I used to build one every year when my kids were younger. It was always a pain in the ass keeping it skateable just because the weather never cooperated. The winters aren't nearly as cold as they used to be when I was young. Our rinks back then would be frozen for 2-3 months straight. Then when we got older we just started playing on the canal. Up there you could shovel off regulation size sheets of ice.....greenish brown ice that is. Hopefully the rest of Jan/Feb stay cold enough for you. But you should definitely be skating this wknd. Gonna get colder each night/day until Monday.

I confidently walked on my ice this afternoon to shovel off the couple of inches that had accumulated. I started hearing cracks about half way through but I just thought it was the ice settling or something. Then BAM! CRACK! SPLASH!

If you can't picture the plane taking off in 2012 (the movie) where the land was disappearing under the plane while it took off, that was me trying to escape frozen feet. I made it out with only a wet ankle but man what a harrowing experience.

It turns out I only have about 4 inches of ice. In some places my water is 18". So apparently that's not ready for 212 lbs of inky goodness. It's been in the teens for 4 days. WTF!!

I confidently walked on my ice this afternoon to shovel off the couple of inches that had accumulated. I started hearing cracks about half way through but I just thought it was the ice settling or something. Then BAM! CRACK! SPLASH!

If you can't picture the plane taking off in 2012 (the movie) where the land was disappearing under the plane while it took off, that was me trying to escape frozen feet. I made it out with only a wet ankle but man what a harrowing experience.

It turns out I only have about 4 inches of ice. In some places my water is 18". So apparently that's not ready for 212 lbs of inky goodness. It's been in the teens for 4 days. WTF!!

Your water is too deep. You want it as shallow as you can get away with so it freezes all the way through. You really only need maybe an inch or two in the shallow spots.

Your water is too deep. You want it as shallow as you can get away with so it freezes all the way through. You really only need maybe an inch or two in the shallow spots.

Yeah the shallow spots aren't more than a few inches. Maybe 4 at most. A lot more sloped than I anticipated. It's why I built it a year before Cody will skate. Need to work out the kinks. My Father-in-law has a backhoe so I need him to do some work in the "offseason".

• 4 weeks later...

I have built a backyard rink 5 out of the past six years. Last year, I built the frame, but never laid the tarp out and filled it with water because the weather never cooperated. This year, we had two great skates this past weekend and it looks like we will hit some rocky weather over the next couple weeks, but there should be additional ice time. I cannot get my kids off the ice -- it is totally worth it! 

I posted this pic to Twitter -- the one of my son shooting and daughter skating in the background. There were some great responses. The hockey community in and of itself is incredible, but I think I discovered a niche persona in this group of rink builders. One of the coolest photos I saw out of my Twitter post, was this guy who posted a photo of the rink his dad built, with a caption along this lines of "I haven't played hockey in 15 years but my dad still builds this rink out of tradition."

I hope my fellow rink builders were able to get it going this year. Happy skating... go Sabres!

KNBp756.jpg

c8EJCPk.jpg

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.