John Scott's retirement memoirs

LTS

John has an engineering degree, so that either improves or degrades his ability to write coherent English.

I fall under the *degrades* category.

30 years of no real written communication other than filling out technical forms does not do wonders for your written communication skills.

I fall under the *degrades* category.

30 years of no real written communication other than filling out technical forms does not do wonders for your written communication skills.

Interesting. Yet here you are, holding your own quite nicely. Next time, though, spell out that 30 at the beginning of a sentence. Thanks.

I suspect it's more than editing or "cleaning up" what the players write. These pieces are so fantastic that I think we deserve to know who the ghost writer is. Otherwise it gives the wrong impression.

Interesting. Yet here you are, holding your own quite nicely. Next time, though, spell out that 30 at the beginning of a sentence. Thanks.

You're too kind. All editing of my work without the need for me to pay for it is greatly appreciated!

In my limited search as to who the ghost writers or editors may be, which I found none, I came across a few questions that seem to fuel a debate.

Does an editor of a short publication, such as a newspaper article, share a byline with the author?  If not, why should they in the TPT?

If they did put *edited by Sam Smith* under the players name, would you or a majority of readers believe it was written by the player in the players words or, by Sam's editing, be Sam's interpretation of the players' words?

Right now, as the article stands in the case of John Scott, I believe it was edited the same as an newspaper article would be.

I would like to know if there is a ghost author if they are employed by TPT.  If the player hires someone to help them before they submit it to TPT, so as to not look like an idiot, I can completely sympathize with that though process and accept it.

You're too kind. All editing of my work without the need for me to pay for it is greatly appreciated!

In my limited search as to who the ghost writers or editors may be, which I found none, I came across a few questions that seem to fuel a debate.

Does an editor of a short publication, such as a newspaper article, share a byline with the author?  If not, why should they in the TPT?

If they did put *edited by Sam Smith* under the players name, would you or a majority of readers believe it was written by the player in the players words or, by Sam's editing, be Sam's interpretation of the players' words?

Right now, as the article stands in the case of John Scott, I believe it was edited the same as an newspaper article would be.

I would like to know if there is a ghost author if they are employed by TPT.  If the player hires someone to help them before they submit it to TPT, so as to not look like an idiot, I can completely sympathize with that though process and accept it.

The homogeneity in tone across the many TPT articles I've read suggests to me that the articles are more heavily edited than a normal newspaper article would be, and maybe even more heavily edited than a magazine article would be, but not ghostwritten.  

The homogeneity in tone across the many TPT articles I've read suggests to me that the articles are more heavily edited than a normal newspaper article would be, and maybe even more heavily edited than a magazine article would be, but not ghostwritten.  

I would assume so, as they are not written by people trained in that craft. But needing a little more help still does not constitute another byline for me.

But that sameness would also suggest that they're actually being ghostwritten from rough notes or even interviews, no? I mean, what are the odds all of these athletes write first drafts that are that similar? That they end up sounding the same suggests more than even heavy editing.

Good points. I still think there's more than just editing going on.

Well, now I'm seeing that most of the articles are the result of an interview between the athlete and a producer. The site claims there is "minimal editing" of the transcript. I'd have to call BS on that. So Eichel will sit down with someone and the end result will be coherent, clever and cliche-free with only a little help from, say, Brian Duff?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.