KeyBank Arena Experience and Social Marketing

LGR4GM

Does anybody else here follow the Sabres on Twitter? Do you follow other teams on Twitter? How does Sabres Twitter stand up against those other teams?

I follow most teams twitters. I think the Sabres this season have been better. The pre-game preview stuff and the practice tweets are nice. They are no LA Kings twitter though.

I follow most teams twitters. I think the Sabres this season have been better. The pre-game preview stuff and the practice tweets are nice. They are no LA Kings twitter though.

In my experience the team, despite very minor improvements, is definitively bottom five in the league. They might be dead last. A total lack of personality or understanding (both of how sports social media accounts are supposed to work and how hockey works).

In my experience the team, despite very minor improvements, is definitively bottom five in the league. They might be dead last. A total lack of personality or understanding (both of how sports social media accounts are supposed to work and how hockey works).

Tone and personality. Exactly. Their content reads like it's being prepared by an earnest college intern.

no personality at all, def not a good twitter but it has been better. they just have no talent or creativity or anything. It is like the vanilla of twitter accounts. 

Well, yeah.

But WHY?

Know what's messed up? I smirk and sniff at PA's cry for the Pegulas to "hire the best hockey people and take a big step back", but when it comes to stuff as unimportant as digital media fluff, I find myself saying about the same thing.

Fair on Beyond BG. That is good stuff.

These little tidbits are a different sort of thing, though. Not important, nor essential.

Remember Rhett Warrener's movie reviews? Those were fun. I want some stuff like that, I guess.

The Sabres had a much better sense of humor and flair for this stuff under OSP and LQ. Plenty of examples. Drew Stafford's Festivus bit for one.

Why are the Sabres in this area so buttoned up, boring, humorless and conservative? Look at the owners. Then add Russ Brandon. It's all aboat the beano.

I kind of miss sizzlemeister. He'd have something good to say about this. Is he on that island with Ghost, X, LB, Yuri Andropassov and Marilyn Monroe?

The Sabres had a much better sense of humor and flair for this stuff under OSP and LQ. Plenty of examples. Drew Stafford's Festivus bit for one.

Why are the Sabres in this area so buttoned up, boring, humorless and conservative? Look at the owners. Then add Russ Brandon. It's all aboat the beano.

I kind of miss sizzlemeister. He'd have something good to say about this. Is he on that island with Ghost, X, LB, Yuri Andropassov and Marilyn Monroe?

It's like Chris Drury is in the front office.

Sadly I don't doubt this but let's not let the groupthink that social media is intern work slip in. It's not. You need experience and expertise to do it well.

True, but what I'm getting at is this: while,the combination of understanding social media and hockey may prove elusive, if you're going to err on one side whilst hiring a social media operative, make it the hockey side. Every other team seems to understand this.

It pains me to acknowledge that LQ oversaw a far more clever and thoughtful marketing presence.

I think the Owners want a very clean straight up presence on social media. AKA a boring presence that isn't going to offend anyone or go outside the box. Russ Brandon and the Pegula's clearly are going for that. It sucks. 

Yep.

At the risk of offending: The PSE angle with music is also indicative, to me, of a tendency toward the unimaginative and incurious.

It's like Chris Drury is in the front office.

Spot on.

An actual college intern would be better at social media.

I thought about that when I posted my take. I was trying to evoke the amateur vibe. I threw in "earnest" toward that end.

It probably would have been more apt to say "It's as though the proctor of a 1980s era high school A.V. club is running the social media presence." Just feckin' square as hell.

This all might go back to Ted Black's take that the Sabres' fan base is "mature." He once said they would never think of having a public address announcement of icing or offside in the arena, because, I don't know, that would insult fans' intelligence? The truth is that a lot of fans don't know why the whistle just blew. I think he also explained away how quiet the arena was for a similar reason — the fans were so focused on the game, being so mature and hockey-smart and all, that they didn't want to distract. Or something.

It's all a pretty stupid way of thinking about your fan base. The fuddy-duddies aren't your future customers. But there I was last night, listening, for the 103rd straight year, to Rob Ray, Brian Koziol, Paul Hamilton and some other dude, none of whom could put a coherent sentence or hockey thought together. And we liked it! (Rick could certainly go in that category of staleness, but of course I give him a pass.)

This all might go back to Ted Black's take that the Sabres' fan base is "mature." He once said they would never think of having a public address announcement of icing or offside in the arena, because, I don't know, that would insult fans' intelligence? The truth is that a lot of fans don't know why the whistle just blew. I think he also explained away how quiet the arena was for a similar reason — the fans were so focused on the game, being so mature and hockey-smart and all, that they didn't want to distract. Or something.

It's all a pretty stupid way of thinking about your fan base. The fuddy-duddies aren't your future customers. But there I was last night, listening, for the 103rd straight year, to Rob Ray, Brian Koziol, Paul Hamilton and some other dude, none of whom could put a coherent sentence or hockey thought together. And we liked it! (Rick could certainly go in that category of staleness, but of course I give him a pass.)

There are arenas where this happens?

Millenials are just lazy and don't understand the ways of hockey clearly. It is all Millenials fault for wanting more out of the social media and announcers and such. Stupid lazy Millenials, why market to them anyway! Seriously the Sabres are not marketing the team the next generation of their season ticket holders. that 25-35 year old group that is starting to come into their own. 

I've heard it. Think southern markets. Maybe Dallas, the Floridas, Carolina. I don't mind it. It's called customer service. But in a league where important goal/no goal calls aren't explained, good luck.

I have never noticed it, even in those arenas.  I will pay particular attention this year.

There are arenas where this happens?

I've heard it. Think southern markets. Maybe Dallas, the Floridas, Carolina. I don't mind it. It's called customer service. But in a league where important goal/no goal calls aren't explained, good luck.

Am I crazy for thinking it used to happen at The Aud back in the ~80s?

Or maybe I'm thinking of announcements for a doctor to call his answering service.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.