SabreSpaceBlue & SabreSpaceGold 2016-2017 Edition

deluca67

I am open to changing Blue by all means. Second year running it so please, I will take all the suggestions I can get

Derrico said Blue was more user intensive last year. If that's the case I don't see any changes that need to be made. But, I didn't make any mental notes as to what could be improved. 

Fantasy teams. And I don't see how that gives a category win to the worse goalie. If anything it forces a tie. Your good goalie performed better against less shots and would win on SV%, but the worse goalie faced more shots. Those two categories wash out. Which is my intention. When it comes to goalies that are good vs. goalies who are bad, at the end of the day we're all required to start goalies regardless of whether or not they or their team sucks. We can pick and choose our skaters, but goalies are not optional. We have to start them even if they're awful. 

In theory, the goalie facing less shots, and having the better SV% will probably have a better win/loss record because they'll be on a better team. The good goalies would still be favored. But I think even average/bad goalies need to be given a fighting chance to at least win one category, and that's shots faced. 

All good stuff. 

How about?

Skaters: 

Goals

Assists

PP Points

SH Points

Shooting %

FOs Won

Hits

Blocked Shots

Goalies;

Wins

GAA

Shots against

Save %

All good stuff. 

How about?

Skaters: 

Goals

Assists

PP Points

SH Points

Shooting %

FOs Won

Hits

Blocked Shots

Goalies;

Wins

GAA

Shots against

Save %

I still think the ratio of skater categories to goalie categories should be more like 11 to 4 instead of 9 to 4, when you compare the number of skaters on a roster to goalies. I don't think there is any downside to adding to more "skater" categories.  Gives each team more flexibility.  i.e.  adding a defensive defenseman who may excel at hitting, blocked shots, PIM, plus/minus, but may not be much of a point producer.

I realize you can't make incorporate everyones suggestions, but I would add back in some combination of two of the following...

1 - GWG

2 - Plus/Minus

3 - PIM  

I still think the ratio of skater categories to goalie categories should be more like 11 to 4 instead of 9 to 4, when you compare the number of skaters on a roster to goalies. I don't think there is any downside to adding to more "skater" categories.  Gives each team more flexibility.  i.e.  adding a defensive defenseman who may excel at hitting, blocked shots, PIM, plus/minus, but may not be much of a point producer.

I realize you can't make incorporate everyones suggestions, but I would add back in some combination of two of the following...

1 - GWG

2 - Plus/Minus

3 - PIM  

I would take PIMs back if there were a way for it to reflect negatively. I hate it when PIMs is a positive stat. 

1 - GWG

2 - Plus/Minus

3 - PIM

Personally, I'd prefer to keep goaltending a bit more "important" than the # of goalies to skaters would warrant on the surface.

Keeps it a little more realistic to the actual game.

Add +/- and PMs to DeLuca's list and that's perfect for me.

I get the antipathy toward PMs as a positive stat, but that's about ideology and aesthetics, not numbers.

It is a convenient if imperfect way of measuring hockey's intimidation element.

See I don't agree with that at all. I think if a penalty is a negative in the game it should be a negative in fantasy scoring. If it's not going to be negative we shouldn't have it at all.

See I don't agree with that at all. I think if a penalty is a negative in the game it should be a negative in fantasy scoring. If it's not going to be negative we shouldn't have it at all.

I get the argument, but you know a lot coaches and GMs don't look at PMs as a negative.

I get the argument, but you know a lot coaches and GMs don't look at PMs as a negative.

I think it depends on the type of penalty taken. A 5 min major for fighting is likely looked at differently than a 5 min major for high sticking.  

If we were to add another category I would vote for +/- over penalties. 

Also,

Thought I would suggest maybe starting 1 goalie over the standard 2? And what are the thoughts of simply 6 forward positions (not broken up by C.RW & LW) or least lumping the wingers together. We don't draft left and right defensemen. 

Ideally:

6 forwards or 2 centers & 4 wingers

4 defensmen

2 utility

1 goalie

with 2 bench spots

thoughts? 

I think it depends on the type of penalty taken. A 5 min major for fighting is likely looked at differently than a 5 min major for high sticking.  

If we were to add another category I would vote for +/- over penalties. 

Also,

Thought I would suggest maybe starting 1 goalie over the standard 2? And what are the thoughts of simply 6 forward positions (not broken up by C.RW & LW) or least lumping the wingers together. We don't draft left and right defensemen. 

Ideally:

6 forwards or 2 centers & 4 wingers

4 defensmen

2 utility

1 goalie

with 2 bench spots

thoughts?

There are so many dual position players, I'm not sure it's a huge deal, but I'm OK with loosening the position specs on forwards.

The goalie one is interesting. I'm open to giving it a shot.

I like the positional breakdown because it makes the slash players very valuable when drafting. I love taking C/LW, or the Brent Burns D/RW, that one was huge for me in a league last year. I hate o lyrics being able to slot a guy into one spot. Might just be me though. Nothing is a deal breaker as far as I'm concerned. I'm good with whatever you guys decide.

Alright the invites for Blue are sent out. Please let me know asap whether or not you're back in. I accidentally made it a keeper but we can change that

So no keeper.

I like the idea of a keeper league. A keeper league than determine draft order based on last season standings? That would make things interesting. 

I like the idea of a keeper league. A keeper league than determine draft order based on last season standings? That would make things interesting.

A keeper league is a great idea; PROVIDED there is a full draft this year. Player selection last year would have been significantly different had there been thoughts that the players on the teams last year would become the core of this year's teams.

I like keeper leagues sometimes. I was in one for a while but it became boring when the top tier talent was already locked up at the start of every season. Takes some of the fun out of drafting. 

I would take PIMs back if there were a way for it to reflect negatively. I hate it when PIMs is a positive stat. 

I play in a league where PIMs are negative.  It makes things exciting, like when Patrice Bergeron looses his mind one random night and takes a fighting major tanking your night.  It makes player selection much more critical.  A guy like Marchand becomes a real dilemma. 

I play in a league where PIMs are negative.  It makes things exciting, like when Patrice Bergeron looses his mind one random night and takes a fighting major tanking your night.  It makes player selection much more critical.  A guy like Marchand becomes a real dilemma. 

This right here guys. 

I feel like we would get along real great, because everything you're saying about fantasy stats i agree with.

I don't like GWG. Theres always sort of luck involved with any fantasy sports but GWG is a pure luck stat. Its sucks when you are in a 15-13 or so battle in goals and assists and sweating it out but then someone gets a easy 2-0 GWG win. 4

A keeper league is a great idea; PROVIDED there is a full draft this year. Player selection last year would have been significantly different had there been thoughts that the players on the teams last year would become the core of this year's teams.

We could make Gold a keeper league going forward. Thoughts Gold owners? 

We could make Gold a keeper league going forward. Thoughts Gold owners? 

The downside to keepers...since there is no financial incentive, and there is some turnover every year, a new owner may end inheriting crap when it comes to keepers.  I would say no to keepers, but if you want to change things up a bit, what about an auction draft?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.