Do you ever see NHL players wearing glasses on ice?

So, talking to my wife about KO's retina, it occurred to us you never see players wearing glasses on ice. They can't possibly be wearing contacts, can they, with all of the physical play?

How does KO literally see the ice?

The hitting doesn't cause problems? Or if they fall out during a game you just put another set in?

Never been a problem, keep an extra set with me and some drops, but they have never fallen out. New soft ultra thin lenses disposable I hardly notice. A couple drops between shifts rarely and they are fine. Edited by North Buffalo

Contacts. They don't fall out. A hit that could knock your contacts out would probably kill you first.

I have been wearing contacts since I could count my age on my hands, and you are correct.  Four concussions, contacts never came out.

Edited by Eleven

There was a game last year where a player lost a contact on the ice.

And then there's always this classic:

http://archives.chicagotribune.com/1962/03/12/page/57/article/leafs-beat-hawks-3-2-hull-gets-44th

Those would have been hard lenses.  Which I've worn.  If you ever want to discuss torture, just let me know.  

Soft lenses don't pop out.

Dude.  

I have been wearing contact lenses for longer than any current Sabre has been alive.  That includes Gionta.

I began wearing them when I was SEVEN. Hard lenses then; think that through.  SEVEN.  You have no idea the pain.  Those things popped out like crazy, too, meaning I had to go back and put it in again, more pain.  All of this because some MD thought I'd make a great experiment subject (I had bifocals at 5) and my mother went along.  No, I'm not mad at her anymore. 

Soft lenses when I was around 12 or so.  They felt like heaven.  Remember the first time you got laid?  That's how I felt the first time I put soft lenses in.  It's also how I felt the first time I got laid.  Soft lenses don't pop out like the hard ones did.  They just don't.

Do not get me started on this ######.

Edited by Eleven

Dude.  

I have been wearing contact lenses for longer than any current Sabre has been alive.  That includes Gionta.

I began wearing them when I was SEVEN. Hard lenses then; think that through.  SEVEN.  You have no idea the pain.  Those things popped out like crazy, too, meaning I had to go back and put it in again, more pain.  All of this because some MD thought I'd make a great experiment subject (I had bifocals at 5) and my mother went along.  No, I'm not mad at her anymore. 

Soft lenses when I was around 12 or so.  They felt like heaven.  Remember the first time you got laid?  That's how I felt the first time I put soft lenses in.  It's also how I felt the first time I got laid.  Soft lenses don't pop out like the hard ones did.  They just don't.

LMAO but true... thanks for that... and the new soft ones are... never mind!

LMAO but true... thanks for that... and the new soft ones are... never mind!

Oh, the new soft ones are nice, but it's not like the difference between the old soft ones and the old hard lenses.  Seriously, a HARD piece of plastic IN YOUR EYE.  I can't even begin to explain.

I played with glasses on when I was 11-12. Wore a full cage. Had an elastic strap to hold them on. The problem was them fogging up before there was good anti-fog spray. Had to take my glove off and wipe them quick when the play went the other way. Eventually got soft contacts. Knew a goalie who wore hard contacts, and one fell out during a game. We couldn't find it, so he had to play with one good eye.

Oh, the new soft ones are nice, but it's not like the difference between the old soft ones and the old hard lenses.  Seriously, a HARD piece of plastic IN YOUR ###### EYE.  I can't even begin to explain.

Been there done that understood... just jammin

Dude.

I have been wearing contact lenses for longer than any current Sabre has been alive. That includes Gionta.

I began wearing them when I was SEVEN. Hard lenses then; think that through. SEVEN. You have no idea the pain. Those things popped out like crazy, too, meaning I had to go back and put it in again, more pain. All of this because some MD thought I'd make a great experiment subject (I had bifocals at 5) and my mother went along. No, I'm not mad at her anymore.

Soft lenses when I was around 12 or so. They felt like heaven. Remember the first time you got laid? That's how I felt the first time I put soft lenses in. It's also how I felt the first time I got laid. Soft lenses don't pop out like the hard ones did. They just don't.

If they don't pop out then why do they pop out? I've seen it happen. There is anecdotal evidence that it happens. I don't know what more proof you need. They totally can pop out.

If they don't pop out then why do they pop out? I've seen it happen. There is anecdotal evidence that it happens. I don't know what more proof you need. They totally can pop out.

Yes, they can.  Shoulders can pop out of sockets, too.

Don't make me call for backup, d4rk.  You know what happens when my men come knocking at your door.  Contacts stay in, eyeballs pop out.

Yes, they can. Shoulders can pop out of sockets, too.

Don't make me call for backup, d4rk. You know what happens when my men come knocking at your door. Contacts stay in, eyeballs pop out.

Especially if you use a choke hold :) Edited by North Buffalo

The only time I have seen a contact pop out is through physical contact - meaning the eyelid is being rubbed. I've worn them for 25 years and the only time I've ever had a problem is when I rubbed them out of place.

The only analogy I can think of is a stack of lunch meat. Try knocking the top slice off... It just sticks with the surface tension.

The only time I have seen a contact pop out is through physical contact - meaning the eyelid is being rubbed. I've worn them for 25 years and the only time I've ever had a problem is when I rubbed them out of place.

The only analogy I can think of is a stack of lunch meat. Try knocking the top slice off... It just sticks with the surface tension.

That is a great analogy.

Ok, I'm about to break some surface tension and put the eyeglasses on.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.