History of the Stanley Cup

WildCard

Very cool. Learned a little. What I like about this board is that all of you are proxies for finding things I'm interested. I knew I'd like this.

Hey Jo... you out there? You draw, I'll write: history of the Sabres, or a tighter concept: history of sports heartbreak in Buffalo.

Very cool. Learned a little. What I like about this board is that all of you are proxies for finding things I'm interested. I knew I'd like this.

Hey Jo... you out there? You draw, I'll write: history of the Sabres, or a tighter concept: history of sports heartbreak in Buffalo.

Don't tease me like that.

Yo yo, Jojo...

It's much too much for her to take on with everything she has going on. I would never beg her to take on such a task.

However, no one is saying it has to be done in two weeks. We could crowd-source the idea to figure out what moments (great, terrible, weird, funny) in Sabres history should be included, then release one at a time. Or a decade at a time. Heck it could move slowly enough to release the last decade on the 50th anniversary.

Dreaming... but at least dreaming realistically.

A complete Sabres history has been on my "to do" list for about 15 years. Now that my kids are almost grown. It'll happen (relatively) soon. Unfortunately, I expect it'll be a 'vanity' project as I expect it'd sell 10,000 (or fewer) copies.

Man you guys seems like gluttons for punishment. A history of sports heartbreak in Buffalo? Do you people whack off to a gif of wide right? Why would you want to go out of your way to relive memories of failure? I get rooting for the underdog and that's part of what made me a Buffalo fan but to wear the piled up losses as some sort of badge of honor seems to be like asking for a kick me sign on your back.

Man you guys seems like gluttons for punishment. A history of sports heartbreak in Buffalo? Do you people whack off to a gif of wide right? Why would you want to go out of your way to relive memories of failure? I get rooting for the underdog and that's part of what made me a Buffalo fan but to wear the piled up losses as some sort of badge of honor seems to be like asking for a kick me sign on your back.

Don't judge me.

Says the man that wanders the Candy Canes' rink wearing a Sabres' sweater w/ a nameplate "Drunkard."

:doh:

I was just spitballing. The idea was that if you wanted to pitch an idea to the site (in other words, to get $$$ for it), you'd need a hook of some kind. "History of the Sabres" is pretty broad. I agree though. That would be a pretty miserable exercise.

A complete Sabres history has been on my "to do" list for about 15 years. Now that my kids are almost grown. It'll happen (relatively) soon. Unfortunately, I expect it'll be a 'vanity' project as I expect it'd sell 10,000 (or fewer) copies.

If you sold that many it would be a spectacular success. Are you thinking hard copy or e-book?

If we're doing comics about Sabres history, I recommend the Mogilny heist as the first. That would make for a great read and would allow Josie to get pretty creative with the illustrations. It's got a much broader appeal than something strictly Sabres and I think a lot of people would find it interesting.

Edited by IrwinNelson

Says the man that wanders the Candy Canes' rink wearing a Sabres' sweater w/ a nameplate "Drunkard."

:doh:

That's completely apples and oranges though, sir. In those scenarios I'm the loud, drunk, and annoying person making the Canes fans suffer. I'm not subjecting myself to emotional pain, I'm inflicting it on others. But they deserve it for being a bunch of inbred sister fisters (I mean that in a good Christian way too of course). Edited by Drunkard

Not sure why such a project has to focus on only negative things. 

If Josie doesn't have time for it, and if PA/others want to narrate it, I'm sure we could find another artist. Really I like something just like I posted; a short little comic strip

I was just spitballing. The idea was that if you wanted to pitch an idea to the site (in other words, to get $$$ for it), you'd need a hook of some kind. "History of the Sabres" is pretty broad. I agree though. That would be a pretty miserable exercise.

If you sold that many it would be a spectacular success. Are you thinking hard copy or e-book?

If (when) I actually do it, it would be hard cover. (Basically a "Relentless" of the Sabres.) Figure it'll realistically take me about 3 years to put together once I make it my "spare time" priority. (So it'll probably take 8. :censored:)

Not sure why such a project has to focus on only negative things. 

If Josie doesn't have time for it, and if PA/others want to narrate it, I'm sure we could find another artist. Really I like something just like I posted; a short little comic strip

Though you young'uns only know the post lockout debacles, the Sabres still have one of the top all-time winning % ages. The history is replete w/ all sorts of positive moments. (Just not SC winng moments, yet, unfortunately.) Back in the late '70's - early '80's the Sabres were 1of the most popular teams in Europe because of their dismantling of the Rooskies.

That's completely apples and oranges though, sir. In those scenarios I'm the loud, drunk, and annoying person making the Canes fans suffer. I'm not subjecting myself to emotional pain, I'm inflicting it on others. But they deserve it for being a bunch of inbred sister fisters (I mean that in a good Christian way too of course).

So getting booted from the rink isn't "suffering?" (Was almost positive you've said you've been punted a couple of times. If not, as Emily said "nevermind.")

If (when) I actually do it, it would be hard cover. (Basically a "Relentless" of the Sabres.) Figure it'll realistically take me about 3 years to put together once I make it my "spare time" priority. (So it'll probably take 8. :censored:)

Though you young'uns only know the post lockout debacles, the Sabres still have one of the top all-time winning % ages. The history is replete w/ all sorts of positive moments. (Just not SC winng moments, yet, unfortunately.) Back in the late '70's - early '80's the Sabres were 1of the most popular teams in Europe because of their dismantling of the Rooskies.

So getting booted from the rink isn't "suffering?" (Was almost positive you've said you've been punted a couple of times. If not, as Emily said "nevermind.")

Oh I have been ejected. A good half dozen times or so. I'm still dishing it out more than I'm taking it though. I enjoy the spectacle. Kind of like being a heel in the old style WWF. Still completely different than PA's suggestion of celebrating our cusps, near misses, and the history of heartbreak. That concept or pity party or whatever you'd want to call it is the idea that I'd question finding enjoyment in. Seems kind of sadomasochist to me. Everyone has their thing though.

I'll try not to rain on his parade anymore, even though it seems like he's into that based on this thread. Tell you what PA, I'll chip in and buy you a gimp mask to wear while watching the finished product. You'll have to find your own midget to discipline you as you watch though.

Edited by Drunkard

Hi! Sorry! I tend to not be on the computer too much on weekends- d4rk alerted me to the Josie beacon in the sky.

Yes this is right up my alley. I'm greatly wanting to expand my portfolio with more sports illustration as I'm also job searching in that world. This sounds fun- and I love hockey history.

So yes. You know my email. Toss it on my plate- I'm close to freeing up (relatively) soon.

All right Drunkard, you wanna go? First of all, you couldn't do a history of Buffalo heartbreak without lots and lots of highlights of how the Sabres/Bills got so close in the first place. The heartbreak angle could also address the outpouring of public support when we've gotten close. Rallies in Niagara Square for both teams, for example.

I said I was spitballing. It is not my ambition in life to create a comic strip of Buffalo sports misery. But you'd have to be balanced. The admirable all-time winning percentage that Taro mentions would have be tempered by the fact that the Sabres have done lots of winning in the regular season and not much in the playoffs. Think of the years right after 1975. 100-point seasons, playoff collapses. The core was rotten even though. People have fonder memories of those teams than is warranted. There were Drew Staffords and Derek Roys even then.

Hi! Sorry! I tend to not be on the computer too much on weekends- d4rk alerted me to the Josie beacon in the sky.

Yes this is right up my alley. I'm greatly wanting to expand my portfolio with more sports illustration as I'm also job searching in that world. This sounds fun- and I love hockey history.

So yes. You know my email. Toss it on my plate- I'm close to freeing up (relatively) soon.

OK, let me noodle on it. I'd really like to crowd-source this to get ideas for topics/storylines. I'll start a thread one of these days.

You're the best Jo.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.