OT - Google's "Project Fi"

darksabre

For reference, I went from Android 4.4.2 KitKat to Android 6.0.1 Mashmallow (which released the 0.1 updated today) and woaahhhhhhh.

I really like the google voice search functionality. I can just sit on my couch ask google stuff without lifting a finger.

Also Google Now is super cool. Read up on that if you have a chance.

With my Republic MotoX I have all of the Google voice functionality stuff,and you had better believe I use the crap out of it.

Funny story, I was listening to a Bob and Doug Mackenzie album I own, and it kept picking up Bob as my voice and searching for stuff.

With my Republic MotoX I have all of the Google voice functionality stuff,and you had better believe I use the crap out of it.

Funny story, I was listening to a Bob and Doug Mackenzie album I own, and it kept picking up Bob as my voice and searching for stuff.

:w00t: 

So update, it looks like my number has transferred even though I didn't receive a message alerting me to this like Project Fi said I would. 

How do I know it worked? I just got a junk call from Sirius XM trying to badger me into renewing the service in my Volkswagen. What a great first call.  :lol: 

Tried to log into My Verizon and it wouldn't let me log in with my number. But my username worked (kinda). So I think I'm still going to have to cancel my service or something, even though the number doesn't work. 

Weird things I've noticed so far:

If you turn the location services off, it drops the cell network service. Evidently, if it isn't allowed to know where it is it can't connect to a service. I always used to turn location services off on my phones to save on background data and battery life. So we'll see what the impact of leaving location services on all the time is. I might have to turn if off in the individual apps or something. 

I bought a Belkin USB-C cable at Best Buy today but I don't like how tight it clings to the socket. I think I'm going to return it tomorrow and opt for trying to buy only LG branded cables or something. I don't know. I would prefer to just buy cheap generics. 

The provided wall plug and cable provide a rapid charge function. This phone charges crazy fast. Another reason to buy the LG specific peripherals. 

I'm going to have to track down a bare minimum case for it. I can't stand not having a case. There's just nothing in stores for them right now though. 

If you turn the location services off, it drops the cell network service. Evidently, if it isn't allowed to know where it is it can't connect to a service. I always used to turn location services off on my phones to save on background data and battery life. So we'll see what the impact of leaving location services on all the time is. I might have to turn if off in the individual apps or something.

I bought a Belkin USB-C cable at Best Buy today but I don't like how tight it clings to the socket. I think I'm going to return it tomorrow and opt for trying to buy only LG branded cables or something. I don't know. I would prefer to just buy cheap generics.

The provided wall plug and cable provide a rapid charge function. This phone charges crazy fast. Another reason to buy the LG specific peripherals.

I'm going to have to track down a bare minimum case for it. I can't stand not having a case. There's just nothing in stores for them right now though.

The charging is insanely fast on the 5x! I bought this case on Amazon and like it (doesn't add much bulk), but it's a smooth plastic so if you want something to add grip you'll want something else.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0147JXKVU?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00

Edit: D'oh... in reading the description again, it appears the black version of that case does, in fact, add texture... just not the mint color I got. Oops!

Edited by biodork

The charging is insanely fast on the 5x! I bought this case on Amazon and like it (doesn't add much bulk), but it's a smooth plastic so if you want something to add grip you'll want something else.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0147JXKVU?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00

Edit: D'oh... in reading the description again, it appears the black version of that case does, in fact, add texture... just not the mint color I got. Oops!

I was looking at the Spigen but I'm probably going with either the SupCase Unicorn Beetle or the Cimo Slim Fit. I've always preferred a one piece design that offers a little grip.

http://www.amazon.com/SUPCASE-Release-Unicorn-Premium-Protective/dp/B015XA94RQ?th=1&psc=1

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B015EH65BQ/ref=mp_s_a_1_14?qid=1457670570&sr=8-14&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=nexus+5x+case

I might do the one straight from Google though. They're kinda neat. They remind me of the floor mats of some land yacht from the mid seventies.

https://store.google.com/product/adopted_case_n5x

I was looking at the Spigen but I'm probably going with either the SupCase Unicorn Beetle or the Cimo Slim Fit. I've always preferred a one piece design that offers a little grip. http://www.amazon.com/SUPCASE-Release-Unicorn-Premium-Protective/dp/B015XA94RQ?th=1&psc=1http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B015EH65BQ/ref=mp_s_a_1_14?qid=1457670570&sr=8-14&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=nexus+5x+case

I might do the one straight from Google though. They're kinda neat. They remind me of the floor mats of some land yacht from the mid seventies. https://store.google.com/product/adopted_case_n5x

Lol that last one reminds me of Qbert!

A few notes to add:

- If my Nexus 6 is anything to go by, you won't need as many cables around the house. It's rare that I run the thing out over the course of a day, unlike my old phone which I had to keep plugged in unless it was in my pocket. I keep a cord next to my bed and at work (even if I don't really need to keep it charged at work, it'll last the day), and rarely use others. This is even with doing things like having it stream Netflix or NHL for a couple hours while I'm working. I keep the fast charger in the living room in a box and plug it in in the kitchen in case I need it.

- I've read the fast charger may (big "may") wear out the battery faster. I don't know if I believe it entirely, but since I had a bunch of normal chargers I use those for daily and overnight charging.

- The fast charger is a Qualcomm standard (I'm assuming LG uses the same one as Samsung and Motorola), so there are a number of chargers that should work. Caveat emptor, but my Motorola charger works on my wife's Samsung and vice versa. It also works with various MicroUSB cables I already had. As I understand it, the trick is instead of sending just 5V (normal USB voltage) the phone can negotiate with the charger to send 9V (or maybe 12V) so there's more power available. It should work with any cable as long as the cable is wired right.

- I have a Supcase Unicorn Beetle Hybrid (the really thin one that's essentially a strip of TPU and a clear plastic back) that's pretty nice, I've dropped the phone a couple times (most recently in the garage yesterday) with no issues. Plus my phone is gigantic so the slimmest case is good.

- Enjoy the new phone!

Thanks for the case review. I'll probably order one today.

Update on signal. I'm having no better or worse signal strength with the T-Mobile and Sprint towers than I was with Verizon.

Places I have signal trouble include the cavernous Village Gate downtown and my barber's shop in Penfield. I'm actually getting better signal than normal at the barber. 3G! :lol:

All in all I'm very satisfied with the switch.

The true test will be my grandfather's house in Lancaster. He built it himself in 1953 and I'm 90% sure the walls are lead lined. So if I can get signal in there I'll be impressed. I'll report when I drop off Placzek there next weekend.

Thanks for the case review. I'll probably order one today.

Update on signal. I'm having no better or worse signal strength with the T-Mobile and Sprint towers than I was with Verizon.

Places I have signal trouble include the cavernous Village Gate downtown and my barber's shop in Penfield. I'm actually getting better signal than normal at the barber. 3G! :lol:

All in all I'm very satisfied with the switch.

The true test will be my grandfather's house in Lancaster. He built it himself in 1953 and I'm 90% sure the walls are lead lined. So if I can get signal in there I'll be impressed. I'll report when I drop off Placzek there next weekend.

Well, signal was something I'm not too worried about, because Republic only runs through the Sprint network, so laying T-Mobile coverage on top of it will probably fill in a couple gaps here and there. The only places I have any trouble with on Republic coverage is my parents house in Holley and my family cottage up on the lake in Hamlin, and I have access to wifi in both places, so it isn't really a big deal.

Most of my concern lies with the phone, and it sounds like a real winner, so I may end up jumping on the bandwagon.

Well, signal was something I'm not too worried about, because Republic only runs through the Sprint network, so laying T-Mobile coverage on top of it will probably fill in a couple gaps here and there. The only places I have any trouble with on Republic coverage is my parents house in Holley and my family cottage up on the lake in Hamlin, and I have access to wifi in both places, so it isn't really a big deal.

Most of my concern lies with the phone, and it sounds like a real winner, so I may end up jumping on the bandwagon.

This phone is great. I have zero complaints. Battery life is tremendous and it just does everything well.

I activated the fingerprint scanner last night as a security feature. It works GREAT. It's faster than me swiping my pattern in and it's location on the back of the phone makes it intuitively placed.

I love the ability to set Safe Places where the phone won't lock. My apartment, the office, parents house. All GPS tagged. Combined with the fingerprint reader it's super easy to wake the phone up and get going just by picking it up.

This phone is great. I have zero complaints. Battery life is tremendous and it just does everything well.

I activated the fingerprint scanner last night as a security feature. It works GREAT. It's faster than me swiping my pattern in and it's location on the back of the phone makes it intuitively placed.

I love the ability to set Safe Places where the phone won't lock. My apartment, the office, parents house. All GPS tagged. Combined with the fingerprint reader it's super easy to wake the phone up and get going just by picking it up.

I was really excited about safe places until RosePie went mobile. Now the lock screen is an essential part of her not messing up my phone. Also, turning off "brick phone after X attempts". :)

The safe places when the phone sees a Bluetooth device is really nice for the car, though.

I was really excited about safe places until RosePie went mobile. Now the lock screen is an essential part of her not messing up my phone. Also, turning off "brick phone after X attempts". :)

The safe places when the phone sees a Bluetooth device is really nice for the car, though.

:o 

I need to make that work. 

:o 

I need to make that work. 

I think mine prompts any time I pair with a Bluetooth device, but it's under Settings, Security, Smart Lock, Trusted Devices for me. Being they're both Nexus phones, it may even be in the same place on your phone!

Hmm, this gets me thinking, I wonder if I could find a cheap Bluetooth or NFC device to attach to my bike so the phone would stay unlocked. Oooh, gadget, that would be interesting on my handlebars.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00RM75NL0/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=Z0OCG2MACBL3&coliid=I1CAQ4HMHYIE84&psc=1

Edited by MattPie

My SupCase Unicorn Beetle case came today. The material is a little harder than I expected it to be but the buttons respond just fine. I ended up with the Black/Frost one (with the see through back) because it was all they had in stock. I'm glad I did. It looks nice.

My SupCase Unicorn Beetle case came today. The material is a little harder than I expected it to be but the buttons respond just fine. I ended up with the Black/Frost one (with the see through back) because it was all they had in stock. I'm glad I did. It looks nice.

What is going on with these tech companies and the ridiculous names? Ebonics mixed with imaginary animals and bugs. Then you have the software with idiotic names like jellybean 8.8723 and candy corn or whatever nonsense. I never paid much attention to it before but it's been a while since I've had to deal with it because I use an old Samsung Galaxy S4 that was a hand me down and already came with a case (probably called something stupid like a rhino pixie wasp 7.339 but I have no idea). I guess it's good to know that way whenever I get a new phone I'll be prepared and not laugh in the guy's face when he offers me a wzup turtle shell moth case for my new phone that runs the new gingerbread splooge 3.743 operating system from android.  

What is going on with these tech companies and the ridiculous names? Ebonics mixed with imaginary animals and bugs. Then you have the software with idiotic names like jellybean 8.8723 and candy corn or whatever nonsense. I never paid much attention to it before but it's been a while since I've had to deal with it because I use an old Samsung Galaxy S4 that was a hand me down and already came with a case (probably called something stupid like a rhino pixie wasp 7.339 but I have no idea). I guess it's good to know that way whenever I get a new phone I'll be prepared and not laugh in the guy's face when he offers me a wzup turtle shell moth case for my new phone that runs the new gingerbread splooge 3.743 operating system from android.  

:w00t: 

I don't get it either. But I guess I don't care that much. 

• 11 months later...

My Nexus 5X bricked last night. 19 days left on the 1 year warranty. Project Fi customer service was super helpful as we tried to fix it (I knew we couldn't, stuck in bootloop because I think one of the flash memory banks died) and now they're sending me a new (and better!) one to replace it. Lucky about the warranty. 

My Nexus 5X bricked last night. 19 days left on the 1 year warranty. Project Fi customer service was super helpful as we tried to fix it (I knew we couldn't, stuck in bootloop because I think one of the flash memory banks died) and now they're sending me a new (and better!) one to replace it. Lucky about the warranty.

That almost never happens.

We're on project fi as well since November and absolutely love it. We are low data users and have cut our bill in half and have sweet new pixel phones :)

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.