World Cup 2016

MODO Hockey

I agree with the assessment of talent on the team. Which still makes Eichel pretty remarkable as he's younger than most guys on the team.

Where would you guess Eichel projects relative to Mackinnon? Mackinnon just better than him now, or a higher projection going forward too? That said, these things are almost always too close to call.

Very tough to say. I'd expect both to continue to get better & be 70+ point players in their prime. The fan says Jack'll be better; realistically would expect MacKinnon to be a smidge better. But it'll be close & probably like arguing Kopitar or Toews or Bergeron. Who cares which one you have as long as you've got at least one (& on this Sabres team hopefully more ;)).

You guys are all so caught up with Eichel that no one noticed USA's upset of Canada!?

It was a fun game to be at. Incredible atmosphere. USA pride was obviously running high, and the underdog mentality only helped that I think. The game itself was pretty chippy too. Didn't feel at all like a pre-tournament game.

Canada just played sloppy, and the US got some lucky bounces. Quick stood on his head until leaving the game. Skaters bailed out US goalies twice by making miraculous saves, one from Kessler and one from McDonagh that was really clutch. Can't find a game recap video, but there are some individual highlights on the WCH website.

https://www.wch2016.com/news/canada-usa-world-cup-game-recap/c-281674200

Surrender? NEVER!

See there? Solidly Gen X with that fandom. Plus, border town cred.

I will your sh1t up, man. I'm a Gen X'er!

Or...I won't. I dunno. I might. It depends. Whatever, I guess.

I wanna be clear: I have love for all -- including the brown, yellow, Puerto Rican, and Hatian (RIP Phife Dawg) -- including our Millenial breathren. And I can take as good as I give. Because I grew up without the benefit of safe spaces.

In all seriousness, no offence intended, and I regret any taken. But I meant what I said and I said what I meant -- a 40 something Gen Xer, annoying, 100 percent.

Edited by That Aud Smell

Very tough to say. I'd expect both to continue to get better & be 70+ point players in their prime. The fan says Jack'll be better; realistically would expect MacKinnon to be a smidge better. But it'll be close & probably like arguing Kopitar or Toews or Bergeron. Who cares which one you have as long as you've got at least one (& on this Sabres team hopefully more ;)).

What I get for eichel/mackinnon

post-2405-0-88610900-1473521430_thumb.png

Also drunk here: Eichel was bad in the first period.

But seriously, who cares. Pre-tournament game for a gimmicky team north america game. I don't really give a ###### and don't care if Eichel doesn't either.

Obvi the Sabres fanboy in me wanted Jack to light it up. But I just want the actual NHL season to start even more.

I agree with the gist of this post and particularly the bolded. Beyond disagreeing with the criticisms of Jack in the game, mostly I just found found it to be pointless, for the reasons the bolded statement lay out. It came across to me as criticism for the sake of criticism. I understand that's not how some intended it, and that's all well and good. It's just how it read, to me. 

Interesting...Ya, I think I am in agreement here. 

Edited by Thorny

Personally, I think MacK is a little low in hockey IQ compared to Jack, and I think that'll keep him from being as dominant a player. I still think he can be a 40 goal 40 assist guy if everything goes right, but those points are going to be from a lot of individual fancy moves and relying on his ridiculous acceleration and shot, where I see Jack constantly being involved in play development and having more assists than goals because he can create for others, not just himself. 

MacKinnon plays like Taylor Hall, Eichel plays like, well, I honestly have a hard time finding play style comparables for him.

Personally, I think MacK is a little low in hockey IQ compared to Jack, and I think that'll keep him from being as dominant a player. I still think he can be a 40 goal 40 assist guy if everything goes right, but those points are going to be from a lot of individual fancy moves and relying on his ridiculous acceleration and shot, where I see Jack constantly being involved in play development and having more assists than goals because he can create for others, not just himself. 

MacKinnon plays like Taylor Hall, Eichel plays like, well, I honestly have a hard time finding play style comparables for him.

Good analysis. 

And it is hard to find comparables for Jack. He looks like Getzlaf when he is passing the puck, though, sometimes. 

Good analysis. 

And it is hard to find comparables for Jack. He looks like Getzlaf when he is passing the puck, though, sometimes. 

I've thought Getzlaf too, but then as soon as he starts moving, he's twice as fast as Getzlaf has ever skated :lol:

You mean floating?

/Is an incorrigible arsehole.

*squints eyes*

I've thought Getzlaf too, but then as soon as he starts moving, he's twice as fast as Getzlaf has ever skated :lol:

This is true. The comparable isn't accurate in many ways, but sometimes when Eichel is passing the puck they look very similar. Probably because they both have a long stick. 

I know you love that long stick. 

I agree with this. I like the Getzlaf comparison in style (especially the physicality when holding onto the puck), but yea, he's definitely twice the skater and has a better shot. I really think his shot could get to Stamkos-level, even if he's ultimately less inclined to use it. Getzlaf + Stamkos' shot + elite skating? My god, we have Frankenstein.

Edit: In total, I keep coming back to Jeremy White's Malkin comparison. I think it's the closest single player.

Edited by TrueBlueGED

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.