Lorentz Coaching in Hamburg (Good Bucky)

bcsaberks

Also of note: 

In August [2015], he was fishing in Canada when he was lured back to hockey. He was in New Brunswick with his son, Jim Jr., and former Sabres center Tim Connolly when they were asked to speak to the local junior team in Miramachi. Lorentz left the old arena longing for the sounds and smells of amateur hockey.

Too bad it's the house league or I would have coached against him this year.  We've played the Hawks travel team 3 times.

I can't even imagine what it has to be like for the coaches.  I'd be concerned the entire time that I was doing something wrong.  Jim Lorentz is here.. judging me.

But that's just an awesome story.  There's so much good in youth hockey (there's bad too).  When you get the good it really helps you understand and appreciate what an awesome game it is.

Too bad it's the house league or I would have coached against him this year.  We've played the Hawks travel team 3 times.

I can't even imagine what it has to be like for the coaches.  I'd be concerned the entire time that I was doing something wrong.  Jim Lorentz is here.. judging me.

But that's just an awesome story.  There's so much good in youth hockey (there's bad too).  When you get the good it really helps you understand and appreciate what an awesome game it is.

In my experience, the former professional players that are helping w/ the house program have been really helpful & non-judgmental.

Was watching the May Day call over the weekend, and was made to remember that Lorentz and RJ were not paired at the time. But some enterprising soul has created a compilation of May Day with both RJ and Lorentz on the call.

Link? So it was Gurgler and Jimbo / Rick and Larry Playfair (?)?

In my experience, the former professional players that are helping w/ the house program have been really helpful & non-judgmental.

I agree with that.  What I meant to portray that it would be in my mind all the time that I wouldn't want to sound like an idiot.  I mean, my hockey experience is nothing compared to his.  I didn't mean to imply that he would be that way.

I agree with that.  What I meant to portray that it would be in my mind all the time that I wouldn't want to sound like an idiot.  I mean, my hockey experience is nothing compared to his.  I didn't mean to imply that he would be that way.

Trust me, that thought always is in the back of your mind in that situation. ;)

I wonder what it's like to be that head coach.

I've recently been on coaching staffs with Patrik Stefan, Scott Neidermayer, Jeff Friesen, and a few other ex-pro's (Jr Kings, Jr Ducks). 

I'll sum it up by saying that just because you were a great player doesn't make you a great teacher (especially for kids).    Some of the best coaches are not very good players.   

Well, it was definitely Gurtler with Lorentz. Not sure who RJ's partner was.

Gurtler botches the 1983/1993 pronouncement.

Thanks. I took it there was some merging of Jeanneret's and Lorentz's calls though.

Also, Gurtler has Brad Park scoring that overtime goal in the Audin '83. It, of course, took place in Boston Garden.

For some reason, when May kisses his stick, I'm always watching that guy in the stands who sees May do it, and points.

I've recently been on coaching staffs with Patrik Stefan, Scott Neidermayer, Jeff Friesen, and a few other ex-pro's (Jr Kings, Jr Ducks). 

I'll sum it up by saying that just because you were a great player doesn't make you a great teacher (especially for kids).    Some of the best coaches are not very good players.

Nobody ever said they were. The BEST players see the game differently than the regular Joe. And it is rare to find the ToeBlake that can excel as a player & a coach.

And coaches for Juniors bring (or should bring) a very different skill set than coaches for younger age house teams. Though I've been fortunate enough to have coached with several that excelled at both. (None of which were great NHL players.)

Thanks. I took it there was some merging of Jeanneret's and Lorentz's calls though.

Also, Gurtler has Brad Park scoring that overtime goal in the Audin '83. It, of course, took place in Boston Garden.

For some reason, when May kisses his stick, I'm always watching that guy in the stands who sees May do it, and points.

FFS, that's right. '83 was in the Gahden.

Now I hafta re-watch to see the fan's point.

Yes - some dedicated fan spliced them together in YouTube's most watched version of the event. God bless him/her.

Brian Higgins?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.