Attention all NC folk: Wegmans is coming to Cary

Claude_Verret

All the WNY necessities (Sahlen's, bison dip, loganberry etc.) readily available to make your next raping, pillaging and baby eating tailgate a rousing success.

I haven't seen Sahlens as lately at my local store (which is on the small side), I'm going over to a larger store tonight; I'll have to take a look. They usually have Weber's and the mix to make the brown hotdog sauce though.

A few years back I was heading to Buffalo on my annual Bills home opener weekend guys trip.  We changed planes in Baltimore and the whole damn plane was Bills fans heading to the game..they played the shout song on a loop while we boarded and the flight attendants were taking drink orders as soon as you grabbed your seat.  Our whole group had three beers each and they never charged us.  Massive party.  Anyhoo...the guy that sat across the aisle from me was a Wegmans exec on his way back from meetings.  We grilled him pretty hard about Wegmans coming to NC and although he never offered anything concrete, all his answers were coy and given with a smirk that told me something was in the works. My only gripe is that it will be in Cary..I hate driving in that part of town

All the WNY necessities (Sahlen's, bison dip, loganberry etc.) readily available to make your next raping, pillaging and baby eating tailgate a rousing success.

They opened a Wegman's in Burlington MA, about 45 mins south of me. I love that they still carry all the foods you can get in WNY like Zweigel's Hots, sponge candy and Vernor's ginger ale.

Everyone bend over and get ready to take it in the shorts. Wegmans is great but you get what you pay for. People are so willing to be butt raped. It makes me want a career change.

Around here all the nicer stores are already pretty over priced, so I can't imagine Wegmans being worse. Food Lion (think super duper / jubilee) has cheaper prices, but their stores are kind of nasty.

This should be the opening battle of the great supermarket wars, I read yesterday this will be the first market to have a Publix and Wegmans. Publix came here a couple years ago with great fanfare. Meh. It's wegmans lite at best.

Edited by Claude_Verret

Around here all the nicer stores are already pretty over priced, so I can't imagine Wegmans being worse. Food Lion (think super duper / jubilee) has cheaper prices, but their stores are kind of nasty.

This should be the opening battle of the great supermarket wars, I read yesterday this will be the first market to have a Publix and Wegmans. Publix came here a couple years ago with great fanfare. Meh. It's wegmans lite at best.

Is Publix anywhere other than Cary?  I have no reason to head out there for groceries.  I'll do it with Wegman's for the Buffalo foods though.  That will be all though.  My wife works near there though, so I guess I'll make her the gopher (assuming that NH girl can identify the right products).

We've settled on going to Food Lion lately (ie. 2016), and yeah, they're not the best looking stores.  The prices are really good though.  We haven't had any complaints yet on the quality of the produce, which is about the only thing that is going to differ from store to store.  I've heard some stories about a meat scandal in their stores years ago though.  Do you know what that was?  That kind of stuff we'll just buy somewhere else when needed.

You can apparently already get Sahlen's hot dogs in Charlotte.  They have a distribution center over there.  Great news though.

edit:  CV, at least you won't have to make that drive regularly.

Yep, there's a local hot dog joint that only sells Sahlen's, plus they are the "official" dog sold at the Charlotte Knights baseball games.  They can be found in the larger Food Lion stores in the area.

NC is turning into a battleground for grocery stores.  Harris Teeter held a stranglehold on the area as the more upscale choice, but now Wegman's is entering the Raleigh area and Publix has opened stores throughout Charlotte.  It'll be interesting to see if Publix/Wegman's can cut into HT's market share.

Is Publix anywhere other than Cary?  I have no reason to head out there for groceries.  I'll do it with Wegman's for the Buffalo foods though.  That will be all though.  My wife works near there though, so I guess I'll make her the gopher (assuming that NH girl can identify the right products).

We've settled on going to Food Lion lately (ie. 2016), and yeah, they're not the best looking stores.  The prices are really good though.  We haven't had any complaints yet on the quality of the produce, which is about the only thing that is going to differ from store to store.  I've heard some stories about a meat scandal in their stores years ago though.  Do you know what that was?  That kind of stuff we'll just buy somewhere else when needed.

I believe there is just the one Publix in Cary at Davis Dr and High House and another somewhere else in town getting ready to open.  I've never shopped there, I just stopped in once since it's near my office to see what the hub bub was and haven't been back.

We go to Food Lion for a few quick items that we need since it's right outside our subdivision.  My wife already drives to Cary to shop at Trader Joes.  I don't know about any meat scandal specifically but being a backyard grilling and bbq snob I just can't use Food Lion for meats, but their produce is ok.  Usually when I peruse their meat aisle the packages are close to their sell by date and some are already turning color. :sick:  

They were bleaching meat and fish to get rid of the spoiled smell and repackaging it. I think that was about 20 years ago in the 1990's...

i m hoping for bison dip and troyer farms chips!!!!   Wish it was in raleigh versus spot in cary but will be worth the trip.   Food lion always smells but for canned good cheaper than Walmart.   Harris Teeter is a Legman want to be when they opened a store near downtown bragged how it was like wegmans we went once and laughed.

Edited by bills_fan_in_raleigh

i m hoping for bison dip and trooper farms chips!!!!   Wish it was in raleigh versus spot in cary but will be worth the trip

At the western Philly suburbs stores I frequent, Bison is usually available. Troyer Farms chips I haven't seen. I looked last night and they had Zweigle's but not Sahlen's (they also had Hoffman's, from Syracuse). You might get more Buffalo stuff in NC though; there's certainly a large and vocal enough population of Buffalo ex-pats.

Edited by MattPie

I love how stories about LiDestri only ever show pictures of the Lee Rd plant. I worked at the Fairport plant and they avoided showing us off like we were the ugly step-child.  :lol: 

I liked the salsa we made for Aldi. And the house brand Franceso pasta sauce has a lot of good flavor variety while hitting a good price point. Wegmans brand tends to be my go to when I shop. 

I won't buy a certain "brand that will not be named" out of principle because those jerks made us run too many non-safety quality control tests. It's pasta sauce, not a Space-X mission.  :P 

LiDestri is a good company. They employ a lot of people in the area. It's not easy work, but it's not bad work either. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.