Attention all NC folk: Wegmans is coming to Cary

Claude_Verret

That "spirits facility" comment caught your eye too, eh?

ha. I was actually more curious about the food processing. I would be more willing to buy different brands if I actually knew where they came from. Maybe I should be looking for a made in Rochester, NY line on the label.

So, how do the workers know about the quality/taste of the products? Do they give samples? Do they have focus groups in the factory?

At the Big G, there was a tasting room where various people (who had some training) would sit together and sample the output over the last day or two and compare against samples from further back to make sure everything was consistent. I assume it works the same in all food industries; although for that one I'm guessing there's a spit bucket and the tasting is done towards the end of a shift.

Edited by MattPie

ha. I was actually more curious about the food processing. I would be more willing to buy different brands if I actually knew where they came from. Maybe I should be looking for a made in Rochester, NY line on the label.

We cook everything in big cook kettles. Every batch is taste tested, along with a bunch of other tests for safety, consistency, etc. 

It's tedious at times, but it's kinda cool. 

And yes, definitely look at labels. You'd be surprised how much stuff comes from Rochester, NY. 

I'll even pick products by the codes on the jars. I'm still pretty loyal to 2nd shift.  :P

At the Big G, there was a tasting room where various people (who had some training) would sit together and sample the output over the last day or two and compare against samples from further back to make sure everything was consistent. I assume it works the same in all food industries; although for that one I'm guessing there's a spit bucket and the tasting is done towards the end of a shift.

We did a lot of long term testing too. A lot of stuff is held for certain lengths of time before being released for shipping. 

All employees at our Spirits facility who perform sensory (taste) our products (my department) sign agreements with stipulations for exporating all samples. Needless to say, all my employees follow this for the most part. Except for me of course. Sometimes I need a couple shots to get through the day. ????

• 9 months later...
This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.