GDT: Columbus @ Buffalo, 3pm edt, 10/12/2015

WildCard

I still don't get why Foligno would be out on the power play. He's supposed to be a net-front presence or something but spent the whole shift on the half wall, and when the puck came to him he fanned on the pass and turned it over without facing any pressure

"Dump and chase", lose possession, get pinned, change, repeat

FWIW, this is sloppy play from both teams. The Sabres are, so far, forcing a good team to not play the game the way they want to.

"Good" is open to interpretation. There's a lot of statistical evidence that shows Columbus might not be as good as they appeared last year. 

Looking much better with those last three shifts, good way to end the period.

Good thing Kane immediately took a low percentage snap shot from the point that was blocked a quarter of the way to the net and deflected out of play a few seconds after he got it in the zone :P

Seriously those two need to be on different lines

I would really like to hear Byslma's reasoning for them being a pair he keeps together.

Also, we're 3 games in, and the most expensive player in Sabres history just got moved to the wing  :ph34r:

I would really like to hear Byslma's reasoning for them being a pair he keeps together.

Especially because before the season started he said he didn't think they'd work together for the exact reason we're seeing.

I know it's early and I'm not worried at all, it's just a little frustrating because with simple coaching tweaks I think this team would be scoring more and playing better immediately, if not to their full potential, at least better than what we're seeing.

Especially because before the season started he said he didn't think they'd work together for the exact reason we're seeing.

I know it's early and I'm not worried at all, it's just a little frustrating because with simple coaching tweaks I think this team would be scoring more and playing better immediately, if not to their full potential, at least better than what we're seeing.

My current hope is it's largely chemistry-related. The alternative is not something I'm willing to entertain in game 3.

Exactly. And for all of the reasons we made Disco Dan the 2nd highest paid coach ever, the experience with Malkin and Crosby, the Cup, etc., you would think he has to have a good reason for these things. It's only game 3 so I won't panic, but dammit if it isn't annoying so far 

These two things...methinks there's a relationship here ;)

Don't catch your drift here TrueBlue 

Yea, the fact that Bylsma himself hypothesized it may not work is what kills me. It's like the visual evidence proving him right has somehow served to prove his intuition wrong.

At the analytics conference, Taro, D4rk and I came up with two guesses:

1) Kane and/or Eichel have successfully lobbied him to give them time to work it out.

2) Bylsma is obsessed with having Kane there to "protect" Eichel.

On the one hand I can see how tantalizing that size/speed duo could be if it works. On the other hand, even if they work some things out long term, I still see it as a less than optimal fit stylistically.

Why are they so hard to find?

IIRC correctly you were the one who didn't understand reddit, right? Just google "nhl streams reddit", click the first link, then find the Sabres game in the list

Yea, the fact that Bylsma himself hypothesized it may not work is what kills me. It's like the visual evidence proving him right has somehow served to prove his intuition wrong.

At the analytics conference, Taro, D4rk and I came up with two guesses:

1) Kane and/or Eichel have successfully lobbied him to give them time to work it out.

2) Bylsma is obsessed with having Kane there to "protect" Eichel.

On the one hand I can see how tantalizing that size/speed duo could be if it works. On the other hand, even if they work some things out long term, I still see it as a less than optimal fit stylistically.

I'd bet it's the bold

Exactly. And for all of the reasons we made Disco Dan the 2nd highest paid coach ever, the experience with Malkin and Crosby, the Cup, etc., you would think he has to have a good reason for these things. It's only game 3 so I won't panic, but dammit if it isn't annoying so far

Don't catch your drift here TrueBlue

What I was trying to get at is O'Reilly is on wing because for some reason Bylsma hasn't paired him with his ideal winger...ya know, the guy he has stapled to Eichel's hip.

• Franson might be the slowest defence man I've ever seen, but man, he can make a stretch pass.

Reinhart looking like the player the haters want him to be tonight. Terrible puck possession.

Ennis has yet to find his groove. Skating miles to nowhere again.

Nice flashes of speed every once in a while for Eichel, but not much else.

O'Reilly might have played his best period.

It's tight and nasty in the greasy areas and most of our guys are battling. Larsson is a bull.

Edited by dudacek

What I was trying to get at is O'Reilly is on wing because for some reason Bylsma hasn't paired him with his ideal winger...ya know, the guy he has stapled to Eichel's hip.

Ah I gotcha. I'd agree with that. Zemgus currently as our #1 center is causing flashbacks 

Ennis is getting too cute with it. Gotta use his teammates more. He keeps putting himself on an island surrounded by Jackets.

Yup.  Did the same in game 1.  Queue Pierre "you can't do that in this league!".  I missed game 2.   Today, end of 1st, why doesn't he have a sense of time remaining?  Passing with 1 second instead of shooting.  He just looks messy.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.