GDT: Buffalo @ Toronto, 7:30 pm EST, WGR 550

WildCard

The organization's name is the Toronto Maple Leafs. You can't just chop off that last s and make it separate. For example, if somebody's last name is Parsons...the correct possessive would be Parsons', not Parson's.

Both. Depends on usage.

I can't (is that one okay, eleven) think of a usage where they both couldn't be technically correct.

I had a debate about those before my hearing this morning.  Funny, what a bunch of idiots in the gallery will do before the judge takes the bench and we have to start looking at our papers again.  The general consensus was under-50s use the Oxford comma; over-50s don't.  

There is a similar split with two spaces after a period.  Those who grew up with a typewriter (me) do; those younger, don't.

Little Egg people are stupid.

I had a debate about those before my hearing this morning.  Funny, what a bunch of idiots in the gallery will do before the judge takes the bench and we have to start looking at our papers again.  The general consensus was under-50s use the Oxford comma; over-50s don't.  

There is a similar split with two spaces after a period.  Those who grew up with a typewriter (me) do; those younger, don't.

SDS set me straight on the two space thing. He was right. I'm under fifty and always use the Oxford comma.

Not entirely true! I grew up when home computers were just becoming widespread, and was taught in my high school typing class to use two spaces. It's a habit I'm currently trying to break myself of, but damn it's hard.

Not entirely true! I grew up when home computers were just becoming widespread, and was taught in my high school typing class to use two spaces. It's a habit I'm currently trying to break myself of, but damn it's hard.

I'm with Blue on this one. I much prefer two spaces and do that myself, but if I'm editing text for work I'm okay with one as long as it's consistent throught.

Well duh

;)

Correct: We are Sabres fans. Incorrect: We are Sabres' fans.

Correct: The Sabres' fan base is one of the best in the league. Incorrect: The Sabres fan base is one of the best in the league.

Hey.  Do you mind?  I'm already trying to work the chicks with my apostrophe game.  

Correct: We are Sabres fans. Incorrect: We are Sabres' fans.

Correct: The Sabres' fan base is one of the best in the league. Incorrect: The Sabres fan base is one of the best in the league.

You didn't convince me. While those are common usage, I think that technically, all of those are correct.

I.....I didn't even know. When did this happen? I'm devastated :cry:

Last board update (forget when)... very disappointing.

Hey.  Do you mind?  I'm already trying to work the chicks with my apostrophe game.

:wub:

Dammit; I know it's preseason, but this grammar detour is more entertaining at present than the game!

I.....I didn't even know. When did this happen? I'm devastated :cry:

During the board remodeling last year. And we're missing our 'pirate' too. There's a joke somewhere in there

Last board update (forget when)... very disappointing.

:wub:

Dammit; I know it's preseason, but this grammar detour is more entertaining at present than the game!

It's nice to have a gdt where we all aren't pissed off and yelling at each other

Edited by WildCard

During the board remodeling last year. And we're missing our 'pirate' too. There's a joke somewhere in there

It's nice to have a gdt where we all aren't pissed off and yelling at each other

Amen to that, brother. To steal Neuvirth's Glove's phrase: I love you all.

Yup. The kerning on a word processor's font takes care of the spacing after a period and before the next sentence. So y'all don't need no extra spacing.

Quick question: should SabreSpace have another s?

I've only got the radio, so it sounds a bit messy tonight with the exception of the Deslauriers-Legwand-Foligno line. But they scored with Reinhart at center, or was it just in the midst of a change?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.