I guess Irbes not good enough for Bylsma

Brawndo

Once again, it was more Nolan's system, than it was Irbe being a miracle worker.  Does anyone really believe that within a week or two of being acquired by the Sabres that Irbe can turn hot garbage into solid goalies?

After Nolan was fired, I always thought it was a matter of time before Irbe was no longer part of the organization.

Once again, it was more Nolan's system, than it was Irbe being a miracle worker.  Does anyone really believe that within a week or two of being acquired by the Sabres that Irbe can turn hot garbage into solid goalies?

After Nolan was fired, I always thought it was a matter of time before Irbe was no longer part of the organization.

Nolan's system of allowing 40+ shots  a  game...?

Until we know who the replacement is, isn't this good/bad reaction a bit premature?

Isn't any reaction about a goalie coach premature? We've got some knowledgeable posters, but I don't believe that any of us really know enough about a goalie coach's impact to actually have an opinion either way.

I don't think him leaving has anything to do with him not being good enough for Bylsma so that spin is wrong imo.

I'm not sure why anyone would be surprised by this development. I'm really surprised it took this long. Irbe is going to go home to Latvia. He gave up being a goalie coach once in the NHL already to go home. He only came back out of respect to Nolan who was coaching the Latvians.

If I wrong about this then someone should raise bloody hell.

Nothing to see or read into here. Move along.

Or maybe Bylsma wants to bring his own guy in.  Irbe had time left on his contract so he stayed on staff pending the hiring of the head coach.  He may have hung around until a new goalie coach was identified.  I would expect a new goalie coach to be announced very soon.

Paul Hamilton mentioned that Irbe did not want to return to the NHL and he did so only as a favor to Nolan, so Bylsma gets to bring his own guy in either way

Right, Sabres didn't give up a lot of quality chances last year.......you don't really believe that do you?

But a lot of the quantity were the easy-to-stop long shots that pad the goalie's stats. So Nolan's strategy prevented, say, 60% of the high quality scoring chances, but resulted in 3 times as many lower quality chances (just making up numbers), which gives the goalie a great save percentage while allowing the same amount (or even slightly more) of goals than a typical NHL defense. So the defense stats looked okay, the save percentages better than expected, but because they spent so much time in their own zone, they could rarely score more than the other team.

But a lot of the quantity were the easy-to-stop long shots that pad the goalie's stats. So Nolan's strategy prevented, say, 60% of the high quality scoring chances, but resulted in 3 times as many lower quality chances (just making up numbers), which gives the goalie a great save percentage while allowing the same amount (or even slightly more) of goals than a typical NHL defense. So the defense stats looked okay, the save percentages better than expected, but because they spent so much time in their own zone, they could rarely score more than the other team.

Rarely?!?!?!

Counting shootouts they did it 23 times last year! That's more than 1/4 of their games. Hardly RARE. Sheesh. :lol:

Thus ends the Legend of Arturs

A legend created on artificially high save percentages. Not saying he isn't a good coach anyway, but the our save percentages were earned at the expense of one of the all time worst shots against stats in history. 

GO SABRES!!!

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.