Sabres named most tortured fan base

#freejame

Stupid list.  I know he put a disclaimer at the beginning, of the list being weighted towards more recent times, BUT, how can Edmonton which has won 5 Cups have a more tortured fan base than several teams that have won NONE, and not even a Cup Finals appearance between them?

Edited by LabattBlue

Stupid list. I know he put a disclaimer at the beginning, of the list being weighted towards more recent times, BUT, how can Edmonton which has won 5 Cups have a more tortured fan base than several teams that have won NONE, and not even a Cup Finals appearance between them?

To be fair, a good chunk of the Edmonton fan base either wasn't alive or was too young to remember those Cups.

I'm not tortued either.  I really enjoy hockey and really enjoy Buffalo (even though I don't live there now, but am trying to get back).  We may get a cup in the future, and that would be great.  The fun is all about the journey.  I will support the Sabres in sickness and in health.  It's MY team and I'm all in.  We may never win it, and that's OK.  If we do, I will celebrate like it's 1999.  We are bound to a city with Wide Right and No Goal.  We know it and are great citizens and friends and neighbors because of it.  It has made us a great city and that's enough.  I look forward to every year when we put the drought to and end, but if it never happens, so be it.  We have great people, a great community, the best wings on the planet, that's good by me.

Living in Buffalo, yes a Cup or a Super Bowl would be great, but that's just piling on. Living in the best place in the free world is satisfction enough.  I win either way.

I'm not tortued either.  I really enjoy hockey and really enjoy Buffalo (even though I don't live there now, but am trying to get back).  We may get a cup in the future, and that would be great.  The fun is all about the journey.  I will support the Sabres in sickness and in health.  It's MY team and I'm all in.  We may never win it, and that's OK.  If we do, I will celebrate like it's 1999.  We are bound to a city with Wide Right and No Goal.  We know it and are great citizens and friends and neighbors because of it.  It has made us a great city and that's enough.  I look forward to every year when we put the drought to and end, but if it never happens, so be it.  We have great people, a great community, the best wings on the planet, that's good by me.

Living in Buffalo, yes a Cup or a Super Bowl would be great, but that's just piling on. Living in the best place in the free world is satisfction enough.  I win either way.

We lost in 1999. What was there to celebrate?

it's a pointless exercise, as i imagine fans of any team who have gone a long time without a cup could make an argument. losing on a crease violation probably helps our case. i doubt the writer puts much stock into the injury bug that killed us in 05-06, but that still haunts me, so i'll count that as torturous as well.

but who's to say that's worse than the Leafs blowing a 4-1 lead in Game 7 of a series they blew a 3-1 lead in, to the same team that some would say heavily won the Kessel trade by getting two top 5 picks in return. oh and they also haven't won in 50 years. 

so i will give it to the Coyotes fan base... please, save your "coyotes have fans?" jokes.  :P certainly they don't have nearly as many die hard fans as us, and probably wouldn't appreciate a cup as much as we would as a city, but there are surely SOME die hard Coyotes fans out there, and to be in constant danger of losing their team for good... must suck. it seems every time they get good news, it quickly becomes bad news. 

Nice couldn't agree more.

We lost in 1999. What was there to celebrate?

Actually JJ, I was going for the Prince song reference of "Partying Like it's 1999" not referring to the Sabres "loss" (no goal) to the Stars.  I forget how old I am sometimes and references don't always translate.

Actually JJ, I was going for the Prince song reference of "Partying Like it's 1999" not referring to the Sabres "loss" (no goal) to the Stars.  I forget how old I am sometimes and references don't always translate.

:cry: I knew what you meant the first time....

Haha, I know what you meant too. I was being sarcastic, I probably should have been more clear. I've got that album, you can't be too old. At least I hope knowing that song isn't what passes for being old nowadays. :P

Haha, I know what you meant too. I was being sarcastic, I probably should have been more clear. I've got that album, you can't be too old. At least I hope knowing that song isn't what passes for being old nowadays. :P

Well, owning the album may suggest that. That's something I can't claim! Didn't even know what money was when it was released. ha ha

Edited by Thanes16

Oh crap, now I'm too old to realize sarcasm.  :doh:

"To clarify, we're not even considering the double whammy of being a Sabres fan and a Bills fan." - Well he should because having one owner of them both is something to be considered.

Pegula, Murray, Reinhart,  Harbor-Center, Kane, Eichel, Girgensons, Bylsma, penty of cap space, etc. - if there was any torture it's over in my mind.  IMO, there's not many franchises I'd rather be at the moment.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.