Top Ten All-Time Sabres Goaltenders

MBHockey13

This isn't a list based on stats, or length of service. Nor is it based on what they did when they were not on the Sabres (see Barrasso, Tom; Fuhr, Grant). It's just my opinion on who I think were the ten best goalies the Sabres put on the ice - especially by what they meant to the team.

I already know many or most of you will disagree but it's just my list.

1. Hasek

2. Miller

3. Edwards

4. Crozier

5. Barrasso

6. Desjardins

7. Sauve

8. Biron

9. Cloutier

10. Puppa

Honorable Mentions: Malarchuk, Shields, Fuhr, Dryden

Here's a good reference:

http://www.hockey-reference.com/teams/BUF/goalies.html

Fun Fact: Matt Hackett is #28 out of the 44 goalies who've ever played (not suited up - sorry Vinz!) for the amount of games played. Below him? Ty Conklin and Rob Stauber.

This isn't a list based on stats, or length of service. Nor is it based on what they did when they were not on the Sabres (see Barrasso, Tom; Fuhr, Grant). It's just my opinion on who I think were the ten best goalies the Sabres put on the ice - especially by what they meant to the team.

1. Hasek

2. Miller

3. Edwards

4. Crozier

5. Barrasso

6. Desjardins

7. Sauve

8. Biron

9. Cloutier

10. Puppa

Here's a good reference:

Fun Fact: Matt Hackett is #28 out of the 44 goalies who've ever played (not suited up - sorry Vinz!) for the amount of games played. Below him? Ty Conklin and Rob Stauber.

Not a bad list at all. I might move Barrasso and Puppa up a touch.

Cloutier doesn't deserve to be on it

So hard with the different eras...scoring was so much higher in the 80's and early 90's...now the defensive systems, blocked shots and ridiculous goalie equipment make it so it's like trying to score on one of those intermission giveaways where the entire net is blocked off except for an area as big as the puck with an inch of space on either side...

Not a bad list at all. I might move Barrasso and Puppa up a touch.

Cloutier doesn't deserve to be on it

I know people might not agree with Cloutier, but he is top ten in both years and games played for the Sabres, and plus I always loved him as a kid - the short scrappy underdog who took over the #1 sweater from my favorite Don Edwards, and would come in and have a great game now and then.

So hard with the different eras...scoring was so much higher in the 80's and early 90's...now the defensive systems, blocked shots and ridiculous goalie equipment make it so it's like trying to score on one of those intermission giveaways where the entire net is blocked off except for an area as big as the puck with an inch of space on either side...

I agree - but I'm not going by pure stats - just by my opinion. 

1. Hasek

2. Miller

3. Edwards

4. Crozier

5. Barrasso

6. Desjardins

7. Sauve

8. Biron

9. Cloutier

10. Puppa

Here's a good reference:

Good list. Can't say any are horribly out of place. My list would go:

Hasek

Crozier

Miller

Edwards/Sauve

Sauve/Edwards

Desjardins

Fuhr

Barrasso

Cloutier

Puppa

w/ Biron & Malarchuk just missing. And just couldn't find a way to get Bromley on the list, though did try. Had to put Fuhr in my top ten 'cause it's not his fault he was superfluous when he was brought in.

Hasek

That is all

100% agree.

It's like saying all-time Bills QB, there is only one, Kelly. 

I 100% disagree. I mean, I get it - Hasek was so other-wordly that maybe other goalies can't compare straight up, but it's not like we've been in a goalie wilderness for 45 years other than the years Hasek was here. Edwards/Sauve won the Vezina. Barrasson won the Vezina. Miller won the Vezina. Other than a few dark years, and this off-season, goaltending has never been the reason we haven't won. And yes, Jim Kelly is easily the best QB the Bills has ever had, but Jack Kemp did manage to win two AFL Championships.

Maybe it's an age thing or something but the Sabres have had some great goaltending. Roger Crozier came and carried a young expansion franchise on his back many nights as the kids learned and grew (maybe we need a vet goalie right now?). Gerry Desjardins came and took over and got us to the Cup Finals. Don Edwards was my favorite player for a long time. Tom Barrasso came in as an 18-year-old and won the Vezina AND the Calder. And Miller - who is freshest in our minds - gave us some fantastic goaltending and really was the one constant over 10 years.

Wayne Gretzky is easily the greatest Edmonton Oiler of all time, but that doesn't mean you can't put Messier at #2.

100% agree.

It's like saying all-time Bills QB, there is only one, Kelly. 

disagree. you substitute ferguson for Kelly with kellys teammates and there is a drop off....but not much of one.

and comparing Kelly to hasek.....no way is jim close to hasek as far as being all-time great in their sport's.

Edited by calti

I 100% disagree. I mean, I get it - Hasek was so other-wordly that maybe other goalies can't compare straight up, but it's not like we've been in a goalie wilderness for 45 years other than the years Hasek was here. Edwards/Sauve won the Vezina. Barrasson won the Vezina. Miller won the Vezina. Other than a few dark years, and this off-season, goaltending has never been the reason we haven't won. And yes, Jim Kelly is easily the best QB the Bills has ever had, but Jack Kemp did manage to win two AFL Championships.

Maybe it's an age thing or something but the Sabres have had some great goaltending. Roger Crozier came and carried a young expansion franchise on his back many nights as the kids learned and grew (maybe we need a vet goalie right now?). Gerry Desjardins came and took over and got us to the Cup Finals. Don Edwards was my favorite player for a long time. Tom Barrasso came in as an 18-year-old and won the Vezina AND the Calder. And Miller - who is freshest in our minds - gave us some fantastic goaltending and really was the one constant over 10 years.

Wayne Gretzky is easily the greatest Edmonton Oiler of all time, but that doesn't mean you can't put Messier at #2.

Great post man, the Sabres have always had great goaltending......People forget how wicked Edwards and Sauve were together!!!!!!

Hasek was the best I have seen in a Sabres uniform. Barrasso was brilliant in that the kid came out of High School and won rookie of the year and didn't look out of place whatsoever in the pros.

I loved Gerry Desjardins (now I am aging myself !) and felt awful when he had to retire due to the eye injury as I felt he was getting better and better in a Sabres uniform. he gave way to Don Edwards who wasn't too shabby and from my neck of the woods. The Sauve/ Edwards tandem  was pretty damn good.

My list as follows:

1) Hasek ( the undisputed king- brought me out of my seat several times)

2) Miller (did the same a few times, just not as often as the Dominator)

3) Barrasso (couldn't believe he came straight out of high school)

4) Sauve (back to back shutouts of the Habs on forum ice in the playoffs- never been done before or since)

5) Edwards (saw him play several times, a really good goaltender)

6) Desjardins (Sabre career cut short in my mind)

7) Crozier

8) Fuhr (short body of work as a Sabre)

9) Puppa

10) Biron

disagree. you substitute ferguson for Kelly with kellys teammates and there is a drop off....but not much of one.

and comparing Kelly to hasek.....no way is jim close to hasek as far as being all-time great in their sport's.

I grew up watching Joe Ferguson, I'm sorry, there is no comparison. Kelly was the perfect QB for those Bills teams, anything less and history is changed greatly.

The Sabres don't have a Messier that fits into this comparison. The closest they have is a Glen Anderson (Ryan Miller). 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.