FN Arena atmosphere

SabresFanInRochester

I was watching the Jets last night and a couple of times during the broadcast, it was mentioned how loud their fans were. I also noticed they did a white-out, where all the Jets fans wear a white t-shirt that is likely provided at the door.

I know we haven't had a team to celebrate in years, but regardless, I don't think we have that environment. I recall during Sabres playoff games, when they would give out shirts, you certainly did not have a critical mass wear them. That's just lame, but some fans would rather wear their jersey. And as far as noise, my observation is that people watching the game inside the FN Arena would rather sit quietly than cheer or yell.

Once we had the Tank position locked up, posters on SS were saying the Arena will be rocking now that we can all get behind our team. I was there for the Pittsburgh game. It didn't happen. Part of me is jealous because I like what Winnipeg has for a game atmosphere. And the other part of me is a little upset at our fan base. At the last game, when the organ started the "Let's Go Buffalo" chant, a fan behind me murmured a little too loud -- "Shut up." I was appalled. To each their own -- that a-hole paid for admission and can do as he wishes. I just really wish we could fill the arena with fans that felt more like me.

I am comparing us to Winnipeg. A team that has just recently started to improve and make the playoffs. Yet every time Buffalo plays there -- meaning not a playoff game, Rob Ray comments about how loud the arena gets. I don't think you can argue that they are a larger market or better team so it's easier to support them. I think Buffalo fans being identified as great fans is overblown. Yes, fans will watch more hockey on television than any other market, but too many of them are stiffs when it comes to attending the game.

Am I a dying breed. Gone are the days of a Buffalo crowd cheering loud? In a perfect world, what atmosphere do you want at a game?

They showed the Jets fans walking up to the stadium and it was already a whiteout. I'm sure they would be available at the concession for those that never had them.

Also, you could literally hear a mouse fart after that o.t. goal was scored. Sad stuff.

I was watching the Jets last night and a couple of times during the broadcast, it was mentioned how loud their fans were. I also noticed they did a white-out, where all the Jets fans wear a white t-shirt that is likely provided at the door.

I know we haven't had a team to celebrate in years, but regardless, I don't think we have that environment. I recall during Sabres playoff games, when they would give out shirts, you certainly did not have a critical mass wear them. That's just lame, but some fans would rather wear their jersey. And as far as noise, my observation is that people watching the game inside the FN Arena would rather sit quietly than cheer or yell.

Once we had the Tank position locked up, posters on SS were saying the Arena will be rocking now that we can all get behind our team. I was there for the Pittsburgh game. It didn't happen. Part of me is jealous because I like what Winnipeg has for a game atmosphere. And the other part of me is a little upset at our fan base. At the last game, when the organ started the "Let's Go Buffalo" chant, a fan behind me murmured a little too loud -- "Shut up." I was appalled. To each their own -- that a-hole paid for admission and can do as he wishes. I just really wish we could fill the arena with fans that felt more like me.

I am comparing us to Winnipeg. A team that has just recently started to improve and make the playoffs. Yet every time Buffalo plays there -- meaning not a playoff game, Rob Ray comments about how loud the arena gets. I don't think you can argue that they are a larger market or better team so it's easier to support them. I think Buffalo fans being identified as great fans is overblown. Yes, fans will watch more hockey on television than any other market, but too many of them are stiffs when it comes to attending the game.

Am I a dying breed. Gone are the days of a Buffalo crowd cheering loud? In a perfect world, what atmosphere do you want at a game?

Two points: after this season (and losing to the Pens that last game), you can't just expect fans to flip the switch and be in playoff form. You have to cheer hard all season to keep the momentum up.

Winnipeg is also in the playoffs for the first time since the team has been back (2011). The old team was in the playoffs their last year in 1996. Playoff hockey after a 19 year drought (and no team for 15 of those years) is different than (as someone posted) a game-82 shutout of the last place team.

Edited by MattPie

I'm not sure, but it might be a little unfair to compare the atmosphere of a playoff game, to that of 30th place team getting shut out.

I agree, but when Buffalo plays in Winnipeg during the regular season, they are loud. And it's been that way since they moved to Winnipeg, meaning they were not cheering for a playoff team. I think as fans, we kick the can down the road and think when the time comes, it will just happen, but I really think the atmosphere will continue to get drowned out by Leafs fans and Canadians fans who come and cheer even louder. It's sad stuff.

That building is special, no doubt. The fans are smart, enthusiastic, funny...and just seem to be having a great time....at every game.

I think it is the best atmosphere game in game out in the NHL, and last night was just nuts.

And yes, I think it is better than the FNS.

Having said that, they are still in honeymoon phase....I don't remember thinking the atmosphere in Winnipeg was all that great in say 1992, or 1996...but maybe I just did not see all that many games from there back in the dark ages.

Don't know where you sat but I was at the game. My section and many others did in fact chant let's go Buffalo. And my section is generally one of the quietest.

There were as usual a lot of Pens fans in our rink and our crowd did a good job of keeping them in check and drowning out their Pens chants so I'm not sure we were at the same game. No it was wasn't the peg environment. we're you expecting Thank You Sabres?

It was fine for what it was. Next year the cheering and chanting returns. It won't ever be like Winnipeg though but at least in the playoffs we roar. A good Sabres team directly equates to a good atmosphere in our rink.

And you cant compare any building to theirs.

Don't know where you sat but I was at the game. My section and many others did in fact chant let's go Buffalo. And my section is generally one of the quietest.

There were as usual a lot of Pens fans in our rink and our crowd did a good job of keeping them in check and drowning out their Pens chants so I'm not sure we were at the same game. No it was wasn't the peg environment. we're you expecting Thank You Sabres?

It was fine for what it was. Next year the cheering and chanting returns. It won't ever be like Winnipeg though but at least in the playoffs we roar. A good Sabres team directly equates to a good atmosphere in our rink.

I remember this being a topic of conversation a few years back (the year right after the Easter loss to the Flyers), and there is definitely some things that can be done to improve the arena atmosphere. For one, more organic noise through the organ rather than blasting pop music. It is tough for fans to be heard through the speaker music and I see a lot of fans just give up. 

My other observation is that Sabres fans are very knowledgeable, which can be a gift and a curse during play when a lot of fans are watching so intently and analyzing play that they don't have time for cheering. There's total focus stares at the play on the ice. Sabres fans don't go to the games to get belligerent, they go to watch hockey.

My other observation is that Sabres fans are very knowledgeable, which can be a gift and a curse during play when a lot of fans are watching so intently and analyzing play that they don't have time for cheering. There's total focus stares at the play on the ice. Sabres fans don't go to the games to get belligerent, they go to watch hockey.

I disagree.  I don't think Sabre fans are any more knowledgable than fans in other NHL arenas that are rocking.  I think it is more a case of Chet & Muffy syndrome.

Ugh, I hate the whiteout gimmick. Even more so now that the home teams wear their dark colored jerseys. 

I agree.  I have no use for the whiteout or towel waving i.e. PIttsburgh Steelers

Edited by LabattBlue

Just like Toronto, a lot of the wrong people are in the seats. I know why it's that way in Toronto. It's so expensive. I'm not sure why it's happening in Buffalo. If I had to guess, it's because wayyyyy too many people look at owning season tickets as an economic opportunity.

It's Hockey Heaven's Dirty Little Secret: the arena atmosphere is terrible, was terrible before The Tank — and going way, way back.

Instead of beating this back and forth,  I'd rather focus on what the answer is. What an opportunity to reinvent that arena. Part of it rests with Mrs. Pegula, apparently. The real heavy lifting has to come from the fans. I want to say some kind of system like Nashville put in place to discourage out of town fans would help. I really don't know.

Big takeaway: it's time for the next generation to take over. I don't know how they do that from the Party in the Plaza.

Edited by @fakegorbyportwinestain

Although this probably the minority view, I agree with pretty much everything you said.  The arena atmosphere has been deteriorating for many years now.  It got better during 05-06, but then fell to pieces at times the following year in my view (although it returned briefly for the '07 playoffs).  So although performance certainly has an impact, its not the only factor.  

Something like this is very hard to articulate, because it is a matter of perception.  In my opinion, the arena atmosphere is plagued by a large contingent of fans who haven't necessarily followed the  team since they were kids.  Again, this is perception as I haven't done a double blind study researching this.  I merely have to go back to my high school days for evidence.  I was one of the few who would wear their Sabre Jersey to school (heck, I was known as the "Sabres guy" for most of my time there as if wearing a jersey regularly and talking about the team was a novelty).  Flash forward a few years, and everybody I went to school with now identifies themselves as a hardcore fan.  This is almost an affront to me.  Its like the people who espouse science on everything, but they failed every science class they ever took.

There is a certain entitlement attitude associated with many Buffalo fans, as if being from Buffalo makes you instantly knowledgeable and better than other teams fans, because "hey, you are from Buffalo, and that is what Buffalo is all about".  Unfortunately this knowledge/dedication takes decades to develop no matter where you are from.  The passion required to make the arena atmosphere like Winnipeg extends out of these many years of dedication.  Call me an elitist, but it appears a large contingent of Sabre fans want to short circuit the process, call themselves hardcore after a couple years, and don't realize what many of us have really invested, and therefore their passion is limited. 

I have babbled on long enough.  But this is an interesting topic of discussion, as during the past year this "feeling" became even more palpable. 

I am so happy to hear that. I sit in the 4th row by the Zamboni entrance and granted the glass blocks noise from the ice, there are a lot of fans beside and behind us. Our seats our great, I just wish we the atmosphere in our section was more like what you described. I didn't feel like I was at the game you described.

I disagree.  I don't think Sabre fans are any more knowledgable than fans in other NHL arenas that are rocking.  I think it is more a case of Chet & Muffy syndrome.

I agree.  I have no use for whiteout or towel waving i.e. PIttsburgh Steelers

That's a little what I feel like. I sat in the 200 section once for a playoff game and it may as well have been a preseason game.

Just like Toronto, a lot of the wrong people are in the seats. I know why it's that way in Toronto. It's so expensive. I'm not sure why it's happening in Buffalo. If I had to guess, it's because wayyyyy too many people look at owning season tickets as an economic opportunity.

It's Hockey Heaven's Dirty Little Secret: the arena atmosphere is terrible, was terrible before The Tank — and going way, way back.

Instead of beating this back and forth,  I'd rather focus on what the answer is. What an opportunity to reinvent that arena. Part of it rests with Mrs. Pegula, apparently. The real heavy lifting has to come from the fans. I want to say some kind of system like Nashville put in place to discourage out of town fans would help. I really don't know.

Big takeaway: it's time for the next generation to take over. I don't know how they do that from the Party in the Plaza.

I agree, and that's why I bring it up. I knew there would be a lot of defending the fan base: the team sucks, why cheer? or it's a meaningless game, blah.

I would love to see a solution put into place. I don't know what the answer is, but I appreciate the fact that we can create a forum to try to suggest and figure it out instead of just say "wait until our next playoff game and you will see the fans magically come to life."

Although this probably the minority view, I agree with pretty much everything you said.  The arena atmosphere has been deteriorating for many years now.  It got better during 05-06, but then fell to pieces at times the following year in my view (although it returned briefly for the '07 playoffs).  So although performance certainly has an impact, its not the only factor.  

Something like this is very hard to articulate, because it is a matter of perception.  In my opinion, the arena atmosphere is plagued by a large contingent of fans who haven't necessarily followed the  team since they were kids.  Again, this is perception as I haven't done a double blind study researching this.  I merely have to go back to my high school days for evidence.  I was one of the few who would wear their Sabre Jersey to school (heck, I was known as the "Sabres guy" for most of my time there as if wearing a jersey regularly and talking about the team was a novelty).  Flash forward a few years, and everybody I went to school with now identifies themselves as a hardcore fan.  This is almost an affront to me.  Its like the people who espouse science on everything, but they failed every science class they ever took.

There is a certain entitlement attitude associated with many Buffalo fans, as if being from Buffalo makes you instantly knowledgeable and better than other teams fans, because "hey, you are from Buffalo, and that is what Buffalo is all about".  Unfortunately this knowledge/dedication takes decades to develop no matter where you are from.  The passion required to make the arena atmosphere like Winnipeg extends out of these many years of dedication.  Call me an elitist, but it appears a large contingent of Sabre fans want to short circuit the process, call themselves hardcore after a couple years, and don't realize what many of us have really invested, and therefore their passion is limited. 

I have babbled on long enough.  But this is an interesting topic of discussion, as during the past year this "feeling" became even more palpable. 

I hate when I hear the mainstream media or even the Buffalo media pump Buffalo's tires for being a good market because I think it feeds the ego and it is not justified.

I remember this being a topic of conversation a few years back (the year right after the Easter loss to the Flyers), and there is definitely some things that can be done to improve the arena atmosphere. For one, more organic noise through the organ rather than blasting pop music. It is tough for fans to be heard through the speaker music and I see a lot of fans just give up. 

Going to away games has jaded my view.  No longer can I view fellow Sabre fans as generally "very knowledgable" without having a lengthy conversation with them.  Perhaps I have had just bad luck over the years, but the fans I run into at away games are some of the most obnoxious, unknowledgeable hockey fans I have ever met judging from their behavior towards other fans.  Its as if these fans have taken their queue from visiting Leaf fans from years gone by.  Unfortunately, I have seen this same attitude bleed into home games.  As has been mentioned before, it could be the luck of the draw in terms of where I am seated, but I feel this has happened far too regularly than to be chalked up as bad luck. 

Many facets to this. It's almost like Ted Black's "million little things to win" quote. There are a million little things that could be done from all angles to improve things. One big thing is a complete, and I mean complete, overhaul of the arena experience. Hire a producer. I don't trust the people who gave us the Hasek ceremony.

We have to get past Black's notion that the Sabres crowd is "mature" and thus any change would be an affront to tradition or something. He used the line once when asked why the PA announcer (who's lousy, by the way) doesn't announce icings and offsides, pucks out of play etc. Oh, no, the knowledgeable Buffalo hockey fan would never need that.

One of my pet ideas, of course, which won me so much support here, is getting a kickass anthem singer. No offense to Doug's lovely and gentle style. Set the tone from the anthems. A million little things.

Edited by @fakegorbyportwinestain

I have two words for you

"It's the product, Stupid!"

Give us a product to cheer for and we will. Even though Winny has been losing, they play some pretty exciting hockey games and it's not just their crowd.

I hope you're right, but I think you're an ostrich with your head in the sand. There will be as many people on here defending the current situation, as you are, and saying a better team is all the fans need. But there are also just as many saying it needs to be better. Maybe it's different expectations. Out of the responses, we have learned:

some fans do not like the white out

Some fans do not like waving towels (they don't make noise, and frankly, I never saw the point)

some fans might be Chet and Muffy and don't want someone yelling behind their seat (wouldn't want a beer spilled on their fur coat)

some fans might prefer to watch and analysis the game, and they'll cheer for a goal but anything else is a distraction

some fans might see it as a failure if the wave doesn't go around more than 5 times (that's not my thing either)

It's expectations, and I think it would be fair to know -- what do you want the environment to be like at a game AND at a playoff game. Should it be different? Do we only watch and clap a little during the regular season because the game doesn't mean as much? Or do we think our noise will inspire the team so we need to have the dial on "11" at all times. IMO, the answer is somewhere in the middle.

I kind of want the person that doesn't cheer "Let's Go Buffalo" to feel ostracized. Is it asking too much to yell that 7 consecutive times a couple times per game? And I also think you should be removed from your seat if you have the ability, but do not stand up and celebrate following a Sabres goal.

Many facets to this. It's almost like Ted Black's "million little things to win" quote. There are a million little things that could be done from all angles to improve things. One big thing is a complete, and I mean complete, overhaul of the arena experience. Hire a producer. I don't trust the people who gave us the Hasek ceremony.

We have to get past Black's notion that the Sabres crowd is "mature" and thus any change would be an affront to tradition or something. He used the line once when asked why the PA announcer (who's lousy, by the way) doesn't announce icings and offsides, pucks out of play etc. Oh, no, the knowledgeable Buffalo hockey fan would never need that.

One of my pet ideas, of course, which won me so much support here, is getting a kickass anthem singer. No offense to Doug's lovely and gentle style. Set the tone from the anthems. A million little things.

I think the proper tone and attitude is a great start.

I would agree that setting the tone before the game even started would go a long way towards changing the arena atmosphere.

Doug does a great job at singing the anthem, but it does nothing to pump up the crowd and is a very "formal" rendition. If the fans are encouraged to be loud and cheer prior to the puck drop, they would be far more inclined to continue throughout the game.

The arena experience needs to be far more engaging and immersive and less of a "performance". Buffalo fans have the capacity to do it, since the Bills games are certainly a loud and engaged fan base.

I'm finding it a little silly to think that a different anthem rendition is going to change the tone of a hockey game.

The only thing that would do that for me is knowing that as soon as the anthem is over, 20 something bad-ass muther funkers are going to step onto the ice and beat the piss out of the other team all while scoring more goals than them. Period.

I'm finding it a little silly to think that a different anthem rendition is going to change the tone of a hockey game.

The only thing that would do that for me is knowing that as soon as the anthem is over, 20 something bad-ass muther funkers are going to step onto the ice and beat the piss out of the other team all while scoring more goals than them. Period.

Maybe I phrased it wrong, my point was more that the whole 10 minutes leading up to puck drop does very little for me to engage the crowd and get them invested in the game thats about to happen. Having the fans be involved before the game starts should result in a higher likelihood that they remain involved during the game. 

I have two words for you

"It's the product, Stupid!"

Give us a product to cheer for and we will. Even though Winny has been losing, they play some pretty exciting hockey games and it's not just their crowd.

Absolutely.

If there's one thing I hate, it's an anthem singer who tries to change the anthem rather than just sing it. Doug Allen is great.

Edit: I should add that I agree with you that the in-game presentation is poor...but keep your dirty hands off my anthem!

Edited by TrueBluePhD

I will admit that while the new "in game host(ess)" is easy on the eyes, the stoppage in play contests usually consisting of little kids does nothing for the atmosphere. I'm not saying I want the drunken atmosphere of RWS, but if the Sabres atmosphere is a family oriented one, good luck changing the amount of "cheering" very much.  Winning will help, Eichel will help, but I don't see us having an atmosphere like some of the louder NHL arenas any time soon.

I will admit that while the new "in game host(ess)" is easy on the eyes, the stoppage in play contests usually consisting of little kids does nothing for the atmosphere. I'm not saying I want the drunken atmosphere of RWS, but if the Sabres atmosphere is a family oriented one, good luck changing the amount of "cheering" very much.  Winning will help, Eichel will help, but I don't see us having an atmosphere like some of the louder NHL arenas any time soon.

Especially since those contests with 10 year olds usually involve 10-15 seconds of silence after she asks a question cause the kid is scared to answer in front of twenty thousand people.

Nothing gets me pumped up like extended periods of dead silence.  :angry:

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.