Tim Murray: Lottery Presser

LGR4GM

So Murray is boxed in and tied to his remarks last night no matter what he says about how great it will be to draft Eichel moving forward. Got it.

How about we put you in the same box moving forward?

GO SABRES!!!

I put more weight on his off the cuff remarks than I do on any prepared statements he makes, yes.

As far as "we", I assume you mean "you" and no I don't care what box you put me in moving forward.  Have at it.

There's still plenty of room in the box for you to add more stupid things Murray says that you can forever hold him to. Because, you know, his entire career in hockey can be confined to stupid comments made in a 10 minute presser.

Sounds great.  See above.

Murray is a grumpy pessimistic hockey dude.

Why be surprised by grumpy pessimistic hockey dude behavior?

The lottery was a gimmicky preGame sideshow. Murray showed his contempt for it.

I like him more and more each day.

Perfect.  I've been trying to find those words.  Thank you.

I put more weight on his off the cuff remarks than I do on any prepared statements he makes, yes.

As far as "we", I assume you mean "you" and no I don't care what box you put me in moving forward.  Have at it.

Sounds great.  See above.

That would be the hypocrite's box. Unless, of course, you're ok with having something you've said at a given point in your life serve to be what defines you from that point on. 

Nothing Murray can do or say moving forward can satisfy you at any point in the future. He had one chance to convince you and he blew it last night. I imagine you won't be conflicted at all if and when he turns us into contenders. He'll still be that babbling idiot from last night, no matter how many cups he may lead us to. 

GO SABRES!!!

I'd put more weight in your remarks if they were more off the cuff rather than scripted, X. It's like everything you say comes out of a can. 

GO SABRES!!!

That would be the hypocrite's box. Unless, of course, you're ok with having something you've said at a given point in your life serve to be what defines you from that point on. 

Nothing Murray can do or say moving forward can satisfy you at any point in the future. He had one chance to convince you and he blew it last night. I imagine you won't be conflicted at all if and when he turns us into contenders. He'll still be that babbling idiot from last night, no matter how many cups he may lead us to. 

GO SABRES!!!

I'd put more weight in your remarks if they were more off the cuff rather than scripted, X. It's like everything you say comes out of a can. 

GO SABRES!!!

Everything you just wrote in bold is insane nonsense.  

I stated very simply above that I'll put more weight on his off the cuff remarks than his prepared remarks.  And that's all.  I also said previously (in this thread or one of the parallel ones) that all I care about is if he can make us contenders.  Hopefully he can.

All I'm saying in this thread is that his comments last night make me question him seriously (really for the first time) because he showed such a lack of judgment and professionalism.  My opinion of him took a hit in the last 24 hours.  That doesn't mean it will never recover.

If you want to conjure up a bunch of imaginary stuff about how this is going to turn into a years-long vendetta against Murray for me or that I'll never be satisfied no matter how many Cups we win or whatever, that's totally on you.  Like I said, have at it. 

EDIT: Here you go, champ:

If he wins a Cup here, I won't care what he says either.  But since he's been a GM for just over a year and hasn't actually accomplished anything yet, he should probably go ahead and not say stupid things.

Unfortunately, last night was still the wrong time and place for that.

Edited by Robviously

I stated very simply above that I'll put more weight on his off the cuff remarks than his prepared remarks.  And that's all.  I also said previously (in this thread or one of the parallel ones) that all I care about is if he can make us contenders.  Hopefully he can.

All I'm saying in this thread is that his comments last night make me question him seriously (really for the first time) because he showed such a lack of judgment and professionalism.  My opinion of him took a hit in the last 24 hours.  That doesn't mean it will never recover.

If you want to conjure up a bunch of imaginary stuff about how this is going to turn into a years-long vendetta against Murray for me or that I'll never be satisfied no matter how many Cups we win or whatever, that's totally on you.  Like I said, have at it. 

And I'm glad you recognize that. 

It's unfortunate that you can't also see that Murray said some good things last night as well. 

I don't need to "have at it." You're doing a good enough job of that on your own here. It's obvious that you have an agenda. When one focuses on only one aspect of that press conference, it's the only conclusion I can draw. 

GO SABRES!!!

GO SABRES!!!

GO SABRES!!!

X. Benedict regrets that he has not met readers' posting expectations. X. Benedict's team of writers strive daily to create exceptional posts that uphold our culture of quality, insight, and creativity. Thank you for your continued support. We apologize by simply using the Thai word โรคติดเชื้อคลาไมเดีย, which means chlamydia.

And I'm glad you recognize that. 

It's unfortunate that you can't also see that Murray said some good things last night as well. 

I don't need to "have at it." You're doing a good enough job of that on your own here. It's obvious that you have an agenda. When one focuses on only one aspect of that press conference, it's the only conclusion I can draw. 

GO SABRES!!!

What's my agenda?

X. Benedict regrets that he has not met readers' posting expectations. X. Benedict's team of writers strive daily to create exceptional posts that uphold our culture of quality, insight, and creativity. Thank you for your continued support. We apologize by simply using the Thai word โรคติดเชื้อคลาไมเดีย, which means chlamydia.

This is inspired. I predict it will end up as somebody's signature. For some reason, I kept thinking of Jimmy in 'Seinfeld.' 

What's my agenda?

Now you're just being coy. 

Or is that koi?

GO SABRES!!!

I suppose that Murray's comments before and immediately after the lottery run the risk of alienating Eichel, particularly in light of the ProHockeyTalk conversation with Eichel and the way they seemed to phrase the questions to Eichel, but Murray will have every opportunity to make Eichel feel like he is wanted and valued.  Let us hope that Murray is smart enough to do this before any unnecessary damage is done.

No, I'm being serious.  If I "obviously" have an agenda (as you say) then surely you can explain what that agenda is.  Seems like the least you can do if you're going to make the accusation.

You're agenda appears to be to convince us that Tim Murray is not fit to be our GM. That he is intellectually out of his depth, especially when it comes to dealing with the press and speaking spontaneously. That he made a grievous tactical error by not immediately gushing forth with high praise for Eichel and how happy we are to get him. And that you can tell far more about Tim Murray through his unprepared remarks rather than vice-versa. 

I'm sure I'll be able to additionally frame your agenda as you continue to spout on, but I think that's enough of a big picture overview of what your agenda seems to be. 

GO SABRES!!!

I see all your points, but I think the day to celebrate Eichel is really draft day.

Listening to Murray I thought he was careful to go out of his way to state what Eichel could mean.

Slick?..nope. Regretful? I dunno, I just didn't make too much of it.

He was irritated. He answered questions directly. We got Eichel.....but yeah, we at the least had him anyway.

He said THREE really stupid things:

1. "I feel for the fans...." -- These would be the same fans who celebrated clinching 30th because it meant Eichel. The fans aren't upset; the fans are excited. This is Murray whining and trying to use the fans as cover for that.

I can't speak for anyone else's experience, but I was at a bar with a group of friends last night and I was amazed not only how mad they were about losing McDavid, but how angry the vast majority of the bar was. You'd swear we just got eliminated from the playoffs. Running errands today and hearing random conversations mirrors that, so at least for some, a day did not calm the emotions. I have no idea how widespread this is, but I'm shocked by the reaction I've seen thus far. Edited by TrueBluePhD

You're agenda appears to be to convince us that Tim Murray is not fit to be our GM. That he is intellectually out of his depth, especially when it comes to dealing with the press and speaking spontaneously. That he made a grievous tactical error by not immediately gushing forth with high praise for Eichel and how happy we are to get him. And that you can tell far more about Tim Murray through his unprepared remarks rather than vice-versa. 

I'm sure I'll be able to additionally frame your agenda as you continue to spout on, but I think that's enough of a big picture overview of what your agenda seems to be. 

GO SABRES!!!

Yeah, that's cool...except for the part where I said on page 1 of this thread that if he helps us win, I don't care what he says.

Is it possible to you that maybe I'm just responding to his press conference?  As far as I can tell, today is the first day I'm seriously criticizing him for something.  You'd think if I had an agenda to turn the board against Tim Murray, there might be more than one data point to support that.

Maybe the points I make with what I write in my posts are really the only points I'm trying to make.  Like, maybe when I say my opinion of Murray took a hit in the last 24 hours, all I'm saying is that my opinion of Murray took a hit in the last 24 hours.  Crazy, right? 

Yeah, that's cool...except for the part where I said on page 1 of this thread that if he helps us win, I don't care what he says.

Is it possible to you that maybe I'm just responding to his press conference?  As far as I can tell, today is the first day I'm seriously criticizing him for something.  You'd think if I had an agenda to turn the board against Tim Murray, there might be more than one data point to support that.

Maybe the points I make with what I write in my posts are really the only points I'm trying to make.  Like, maybe when I say my opinion of Murray took a hit in the last 24 hours, all I'm saying is that my opinion of Murray took a hit in the last 24 hours.  Crazy, right? 

If that's all you're saying then this has all been just a vociferous defense of that statement and nothing more? You'll have to pardon me if that wasn't crystal clear through all that verbiage. 

I'll remain skeptical about you not caring about what he says if what he does ends up helping us win. The entire tear down and rebuild is designed to do just that, but that hasn't stopped you from calling him out and criticizing what he's been saying anyway. You seem to care very much about what he says and how he says it. I look for you to continue that trend up until we indeed start winning. The phrase "fair weather fan" comes to mind. 

GO SABRES!!!

If that's all you're saying then this has all been just a vociferous defense of that statement and nothing more? You'll have to pardon me if that wasn't crystal clear through all that verbiage. 

I'll remain skeptical about you not caring about what he says if what he does ends up helping us win. The entire tear down and rebuild is designed to do just that, but that hasn't stopped you from calling him out and criticizing what he's been saying anyway. You seem to care very much about what he says and how he says it. I look for you to continue that trend up until we indeed start winning. The phrase "fair weather fan" comes to mind. 

GO SABRES!!!

I do care very much about what he says.  He's basically the face of our franchise until Jack Eichel gets here.

Last night we found out which of two generational talents will (hopefully) be the franchise player for the Sabres for at least the next decade.  It should have felt more like a coronation.  Instead it turned into the Tim Murray Show and now the national media is running stories like this: http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/eye-on-hockey/25154487/sabres-gm-tim-murray-on-lottery-results-im-disappointed-for-our-fans

Is that fair?  Not really, but the media isn't fair and he gave them more than enough ammunition if that's the narrative they want.  It looks bad, and we gained nothing from it.  There was literally no upside to his comments last night.  And who knows if it's all hugs and kisses with Eichel by draft day or if we just got off on the wrong foot with him?

It was a really stupid way to handle it and now I do wonder about the guy.

I suppose that Murray's comments before and immediately after the lottery run the risk of alienating Eichel, particularly in light of the ProHockeyTalk conversation with Eichel and the way they seemed to phrase the questions to Eichel, but Murray will have every opportunity to make Eichel feel like he is wanted and valued.  Let us hope that Murray is smart enough to do this before any unnecessary damage is done.

Getting way Ahead of ourselves, aren't we? We haven't even had combines and team interviews yet.

Eichel will be in Buffalo for the combine.....he will feel the love.

I do care very much about what he says.  He's basically the face of our franchise until Jack Eichel gets here.

Last night we found out which of two generational talents will (hopefully) be the franchise player for the Sabres for at least the next decade.  It should have felt more like a coronation.  Instead it turned into the Tim Murray Show and now the national media is running stories like this: http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/eye-on-hockey/25154487/sabres-gm-tim-murray-on-lottery-results-im-disappointed-for-our-fans

Is that fair?  Not really, but the media isn't fair and he gave them more than enough ammunition if that's the narrative they want.  It looks bad, and we gained nothing from it.  There was literally no upside to his comments last night.  And who knows if it's all hugs and kisses with Eichel by draft day or if we just got off on the wrong foot with him?

It was a really stupid way to handle it and now I do wonder about the guy.

I think that's unfair to the positive things he had to say. 

Like you said, it's about the narrative and those in the agenda-driven media that seek to frame that narrative for whatever agenda they are driving.

I just don't agree that the sum total of all that Tim Murray is and hopes to be as a GM and architect of this rebuilding project, is contained in a few remarks in a 10 minute presser he had disdain for having to participate in in the first place. 

If the media is gonna parse his language, they should do a more honest job of retaining and presenting the entire context of his remarks. 

GO SABRES!!!

Seeing as how the league doesn't even care about its star players suffering brain injuries from cheap shots, I really don't think they're going to spring into action and change how they award draft picks due to Tim Murray's whining last night.

Which is another reason his performance last night was completely idiotic.

"We're really excited that we're going to have the opportunity to draft a special player to add to all the young talent we already have.  The future is really bright for our team."

Milbury was interesting.

I want someone competent.  Last night was a red flag.

Your opinions lose credibility once you start agreeing with freaking Mike Hillbilly....

Being a douche to the media and giving the media quotes that they can distort are two completely different things.  

You don't think they ever distort Belicheck quotes?  I like that Murray says what he thinks.  It's interesting.  It's not hurting anything.  I hope it does tick Eichel off a little and when he gets here he works to show the world he should have been number 1.

I agree.  I could care less what he says in interviews.  He's competitive and passionate and not content with mediocrity.  The exact opposite of Regier!  If we have gone nowhere in three years come back and complain.  I have a hunch we will be finally competitive again.

Your opinions lose credibility once you start agreeing with freaking Mike Hillbilly....

I wasn't agreeing with Milbury.  I was saying he kept things "interesting" (with "Interesting" certainly not meaning "good").  Go back and look at what I was responding to.

I think that's unfair to the positive things he had to say. 

Like you said, it's about the narrative and those in the agenda-driven media that seek to frame that narrative for whatever agenda they are driving.

I just don't agree that the sum total of all that Tim Murray is and hopes to be as a GM and architect of this rebuilding project, is contained in a few remarks in a 10 minute presser he had disdain for having to participate in in the first place. 

If the media is gonna parse his language, they should do a more honest job of retaining and presenting the entire context of his remarks. 

GO SABRES!!!

The positive things he had to say aren't getting any attention today.  They aren't nearly as juicy as the negative things he had to say.

It's never a good idea to rely on the media to treat you fairly or with nuance.  They love a good story.  His words were perfect for them make this narrative and now that's the national story.  This is literally why I'm beside myself with him doing what he did last night.  It's not like that was his first day as an NHL GM, but it was amateur hour all the way.  He should be way more savvy than that.

I can't speak for anyone else's experience, but I was at a bar with a group of friends last night and I was amazed not only how mad they were about losing McDavid, but how angry the vast majority of the bar was. You'd swear we just got eliminated from the playoffs. Running errands today and hearing random conversations mirrors that, so at least for some, a day did not calm the emotions. I have no idea how widespread this is, but I'm shocked by the reaction I've seen thus far.

I think that's a good reflection of mainstream sentiment as opposed to the hardcore informed sentiment of this board.

I also think the lottery was about "winning" McDavid. We didn't win, therefore we lost.

No worries Jack. They are going to love you.

Yes. It speaks to his judgment and professionalism, and how he handles it when things don't go his way.

This thread gets more annoying by the post. These irrational Murray haters keep looking for trivial nonsense to try to demonstrate how "Murray sucks". It's constant grasping at straws in lieu of a real reason. It reminds me of a couple of girls I dated. Constantly making up stuff just to have something to whine about.

Murray will draft Eichel at #2, he'll play in Buffalo next year, and everyone will be happy except for the Murray haters who will probably be crying that he didn't smile during a press conference or something.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.