What if Eichel Decides to Return to BU Next Year?

Dave Dryden

While it may seem unlikely, there is a possibility of him playing another year, especially now that BU lost the title game.  When asked about it last night, Eichel, while clearly not tipping his hand, articulated the advantages to staying in school and furthering his development.   

Question, does this have any impact on drafting him, assuming the 80% probability comes to pass and the Sabres draft second?

While it may seem unlikely, there is a possibility of him playing another year, especially now that BU lost the title game.  When asked about it last night, Eichel, while clearly not tipping his hand, articulated the advantages to staying in school and furthering his development.   

Question, does this have any impact on drafting him, assuming the 80% probability comes to pass and the Sabres draft second?

No. Even if he did stay another year, which I highly doubt - $9 million over 3 years is hard to say no to - the gap between him and the next guy is worth waiting a year

Why would Eichel go back? He's bout to get paid.

Hopefully it's not all about the money for the kid. I would have a great deal of respect for the kid if he decided he had unfinished business and returned to BU for another year. If would be great to see some character come along with all that talent. 

Hopefully it's not all about the money for the kid. I would have a great deal of respect for the kid if he decided he had unfinished business and returned to BU for another year. If would be great to see some character come along with all that talent. 

How about if he stays 3 more years?

Because all that kigash won't wash away the bitter taste of tears from having lost the national title on a gwg that came from a faceoff he failed to win or control.

Or, whatever. It is more likely he'll just go pro.

College puck only matters to guys who aren't going to go to the NHL.

It wouldn't bother me either. I just don't see it happening.

While college puck is the stepsister to the chl, it matters in places like Boston and Minnesota and a few others. I could see a Boston kid valuing it more than others. But I think he goes pro, it is his future, so why not start now.

It would be foolish to pass on the money, especially to do something he loves. With one stroke of the pen, he can assure the future of himself and his future family. Horrible freak accidents can occur and he's best signing the contract.

While college puck is the stepsister to the chl, it matters in places like Boston and Minnesota and a few others. I could see a Boston kid valuing it more than others. But I think he goes pro, it is his future, so why not start now.

He might also feel he needs another year to mature physically.  He seemed a bit worn down last night playing against 22 year olds.  Imagine being in the NHL .

Because all that kigash won't wash away the bitter taste of tears from having lost the national title on a gwg that came from a faceoff he failed to win or control.

Or, whatever. It is more likely he'll just go pro.

And because his coach and a former BU star are in his ear to stay, and other NHL stars did it and are talking about how great it was to stay in college, and BU coach Quinn is bringing up a comment Phil Kessel made to him about how he wish he had stayed. He's going to get leaned on pretty good to stick around.

Edited by @fakegorbyportwinestain

While it may seem unlikely, there is a possibility of him playing another year, especially now that BU lost the title game. When asked about it last night, Eichel, while clearly not tipping his hand, articulated the advantages to staying in school and furthering his development.

No way...he is going to want to prove he is better than McDavid and no way he can do that in college

No problem. An 18 year old in the NHL is tough for anyone. In addition, the Sabres will not be contenders next year anyway. Also, Sam Reinhart will need to get his feet wet in the NHL. The addition of two rookie centers is a lot to ask for any team. I'm not worried too much because the added maturity can't hurt in the long run.

However, there is still that 20% chance in the lottery!

it would probably stagnate his development but the panic that happened after the oconnor thing certainly showed his age.

Amen. The kid is only 18 years old. He needs time.

He'll be in the line-up game 1.  As would Connor McDavid.   He has nothing left to prove at BU. 

This fan based is so bruised.

I know right, I get it.  But, there's no way he goes back.  It sucks he didn't win the NCAA Championship, but he did everything in a single season you could hope to aspire too.  It's a comparable (minus winning) to Carmelo Anthony.  Moving on up. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.