Should Ted Nolan Coach Buffalo Next Year?

IKnowPhysics

Ted Nolan:  

89 members have voted

1. 1. On Ted Nolan coaching next year:

• I want Ted Nolan to coach the Buffalo Sabres next year.
    • I am indifferent on whether Ted Nolan coaches the Buffalo Sabres next year.
    • It do not want Ted Nolan to coach the Buffalo Sabres next year.

I also believe that there is no way in hell we'll also get Mike Babcock so I would forget about that scenario. I know T-Pegs has the cash and we will have either MCDAVID OR EICHEL next season but to think we will get a franchise player and Hall of Fame head coach in the same season is serious dreaming. You can dream big and if this should somehow happen then we will have gone from outhouse to penthouse in a very short period of time. I am willling to give Ted the shot with young talent and let the chips fall where they may from that point. Not saying the Sabres won't go after Babcock but so will pretty much everyone else so he can make his own choice as to what is more dear to him. (location? the challenge? what his family would prefer? etc...)

I'm not sure why there is this much anti-Ted sentiment on this question? Do you not remember the previous team he coached? We had little to no talent (but we did have a goaltender!!) and that was some of the most exciting Sabres hockey in quite some time. You knew you were going to see a strong effort and everyone was going to have each others backs. I loved those teams. Ted is good with the youngsters. Sometimes you have to be tough for them to develop into character players. Now that the McDavid/Eichel situation has been decided I expect to see this type of club play tonight against Pitt as the tank is officially over. I believe tonight's effort will be strong against a Pitt team that needs this game. We shall see. All I'm saying is, give Ted one to 2 more seasons  to see the real Nolan team. I think we'll all enjoy hockey in Western New York once again. (and it has been a long time coming)

On a not related topic, anyone expecting Miller to fail miserably in the playoffs with Vancouver this season besides me? I'm expecting it again big time!

Good read

I don't want him back. 

Next year I want to see a team that has a clear system in place. Get this "try, skate hard and it'll come together/compete FTW" pipe dream out of our vocabulary. That may work in the peewees but it can NEVER support a NHL team in the long run. I think we have been without a decent coach for so long that we've forgotten what a good system looks like (the Rolston centipede does not count). Develop a solid system that gives the other teams fits with the size and talent we'll have next year. Teach this young team how to play playoff winning hockey. 

Trying hard every shift should be PART of the system not THE system.

I want hear "That play worked exactly like (Insert Name Here) drew it up" said about the Sabres many, many times. That name can't be Nolan.  

I voted that I want Nolan as coach next year.

My feelings are well known.  I think he deserves and has earned at least one more year to see what he can do with a better roster.

Now, I'm not sure how much better the kids are going to be next season, as they will still be just kids.  Most have made great strides this year even in a crap season. That has to come from Nolan, his staff and to the few battle hardened veterans that we have.

Couldn't agree more.

For all the love of Nolan that some have from the past or present, and for me it's the past, do you really want to be a team giving up 40 to 50 shots a game regularly and being out shot 2-1 going forward because the coach cant do it any other way? I don't.

Thanks for your time here Teddy. That parachute should suffice for you.

Last night's

So no one cares that one of the answers is "It do not want Ted Nolan..." man standards around here be droppin like turdburger jerseys into a fire of fan hatred.

He may no physics but he donut no english

I blame millennials. :)

Alright, alright.  I posted this typo quickly while at work and I have a debilitating cold, you turdburger-wearing Hanifin-wanters.

I like the way the question reads. Now let's get to reality. What is the likelihood that Nolan is back? Barnaby tweeted after last night's game that it's a pipe dream if you expect him to be coaching Buffalo next year. Hockey insiders have said the same for months. He's done. Give him a good send-off tonight, and be ready to move on. Hopefully, Babcock is the name announced as the next coach. I disagree with a statement above that Babcock will never come to Buffalo. The facts were lacking to support why he would avoid Buffalo and the rationale seemed to be based more on the fact that good things don't happen to Buffalo. Those days are over. Last night was the last day of that era for many years to come.

I think Nolan is an excellent coach. The sabres were very competitive toward the end of the season.

he was in a no win situation. If the team plays poorly we coast into the 30 spot and some are happy.But then they come back and claim he cant coach.

If the team plays well they make the 30 spot a nailbiter or lose the spot then he is the goat.

Absolutely a no win for the guy.

What is always the question with him is his personality.What the insiders know. seems to rub mgmt. the wrong way.

He is a damn good coach.

Edited by calti

Nolan succeeded by taking a team that was almost destined to finish last, and dragging it out until the 81st game of the season.

This is the hockey equivalent of hitting all the objectives on a bombing run.

Agreed. The notion that he was doing what he was doing despite management's plans is as fabricated as any other narrative.

The only truth we have is that Nolan completed the objective, and made the Sabres look credible while doing it (which means he upheld his side of plausible deniability).

For all we know, Nolan exceeded all of the internal goals set for him. Even Hackett, for all we know Murray said "I don't give a damn about him," and Teddy made it look good.

And there's no way Babcock comes here? Bullsh$t. There are as many good reasons for Babcock to come here as there are for any place else, maybe even more.

Edited by SiZzlEmIsTEr

Agreed. The notion that he was doing what he was doing despite management's plans is as fabricated as any other narrative.

The only truth we have is that Nolan completed the objective, and made the Sabres look credible while doing it (which means he upheld his side of plausible deniability).

For all we know, Nolan exceeded all of the internal goals set for him. Even Hackett, for all we know Murray said "I don't give a damn about him," and Teddy made it look good.

And there's no way Babcock comes here? Bullsh$t. There are as many good reasons for Babcock to come here as there are for any place else, maybe even more.

Spoken with rationale.

I give it a 20% chance. I really do believe if Buffalo hits the lottery this month with McDavid...Babcock will follow. 

I am fine with Babcock if Nolan is not the coach.  So long as he is not both coach and GM.  I hope TP does not go that route.  I remember the last time ownership tried to have the games best coach (at the time) come is as both and it didn't work out too well.

I am curious are these systems everyone is complaining about are they the ones you need when you severely lack talent or is this his MO regardless. I would like to think he has or is willing to either evolve into a more analytical coach or surround him self with the best people who are. Phil Jackson ran the triangle but never drew up plays. He was a motivator who knew how to blend talent into Championships. I would like to see Ted do the same. It is all a process. When you sign a 3 year deal the organization that is "rebuilding" or tanking should give you more room. As for a strained relationship with Tim Murray, if you want to win and your GM does everything to make you fail wouldn't you have difficulty with that. If Murray decides to try and win will he work with Ted or just sit in his lofty perch dreaming of Connor? If Ted goes than throw out Murray too and the amerks coach as well. If not than give Nolan a chance.

L.A. had the best puck possession stats this year but they missed the playoffs. Calgary had close to the worst and they made it. I'm not saying it isn't important but there is more to this game than corsi. There has to be a mix of all the variables that bring positive results. There is a place for things like motivation, hard work etc as well as x's and o's.

L.A. had the best puck possession stats this year but they missed the playoffs. Calgary had close to the worst and they made it. I'm not saying it isn't important but there is more to this game than corsi. There has to be a mix of all the variables that bring positive results. There is a place for things like motivation, hard work etc as well as x's and o's.

:thumbsup:

Here I am all happy with 30th, the sun is out and it's nice enough to run outside...and you have to go post this :angry:

There's 1-2 exceptions every year where the record doesn't reflect the possession well at all. When the rest of the league conforms nicely, I really don't see much of a purpose in pointing out the outliers. Watch the Flames come crashing down next year just like the Avs did this year, while LA rises back to contention. And in all honesty, if you're a team in the West, would you rather play Calgary or LA in the playoffs? LA got unlucky in the shootout, so they miss...Calgary got lucky with team shooting percentage, so they made it. Whatever, it happens. But make no mistake, Calgary is a paper tiger.

With the Bills hiring Rex Ryan, it's obvious the Pegulas like a splash.

While I like Ted Nolan, this team has an owner with deep pockets and a plan for greatness that after last night is officially on the upswing.

While Nolan has shown to be a solid coach, he doesn't have the type of experience and credentials that other candidates out there have.

I really see the Sabres going hard after Mike Babcock.  He has won a cup, arguably is one of the best coaches in the league, and has ties to Murray from their days in Anaheim. 

With the type of talent that Murray has lined up (and I'm sure there is more to come in FA as well as the addition of McDavid or Eichel) there is no reason why a coach like Babcock would not want to come to this situation.  A young team with a ton of young talent and a GM and owner hell bent on a Stanley Cup is heaven for any coach. 

The addition of Babcock would instantly turn the image of the franchise around.  Add McEichel and i'm sure a few other FA that the Sabres will be looking to add (I still think TM will go  hard after OReilly) this is going to be a completely different franchise next season.  Babcock will also be a bigger draw for potential free agents.  I don't think Nolan carries that type of clout...yet.

Guys like Ristolainen, Reinhart, and Girgenson will be a year older and more experienced, not to mention Kane.  Babcock will be a kid in a candy store, and he will be set up to look like a genius even though I could coach a team with the talent TM will have next season to a better record than last place.

Feel bad for Nolan cuz I think he is a victim of circumstance once again.  But this time I don't see him out of work long, and it's fair to say another young team will hire him in a heartbeat, which in all honesty he deserves.

I like this post, no matter what that smarty pants with the PhD says.

Post of the day, so far, and there have been a lot of posts today. 

Babcock can and will write his own ticket. Lets not forget, we may not get McDavid, it may be Eichel. Personally, from what I saw at the World Junior's, I want McDavid. If we end up with Eichel, i hope to God he is the next coming of Mike Modano. Let us also not forget. Toronto will be wanting Babcock also and money is no objective there. Do not think he won't consider Toronto over Buffalo and with Brendan Shanahan there he may just go there. What do we do then? Dan Bylsma? No way, he inherited a Michel Therrien team and then couldn't do anything after that with Malkin and Crosby. Luke Richardson? What??????? Just because he was in GMTM's previous organization and he will be the new Bowman? (who failed here by the way) This year's Sabres with the high shots on goal and poor defense etc. etc. was not a true Ted Nolan club. We all know why they were the way they were this season. MCEICHEL!!!!!!!!! You don't trade away what this club did to not get MCEICHEL. 

I don't want Ron Wilson or even Randy Carlyle either, not good with youthful teams. Were any of you Ted naysayers when he appeared here with Patty LaFontaine in tow? Patty left because he was NOT ON BOARD with the tank scenario. He likes to build it like the Habs, Wings and Bruins so he was out. He didn't want to alienate the fan base and bastardize (for lack of a better word) the thought process when Sabres fans actually start cheering for the opposition. That is seriously messed up when you think about it.

If we don't get McDavid and Eichel isn't "the second coming" he was hyped up to be, we are in a load of trouble sports fans. So here's hoping the hockey God's are smiling on the Sabres on Draft day. As for Babcock being a definite. I am really not holding my breath on that one. I think we may be in for a surprise as far as that goes.

Seriously though, getting off topic again: Does anyone out there see Miller choking in the playoffs again this year? I can see it.

A big part of LA's demise this season was their terrible record in the Shootout, they lost 15 games in OT, the majority of those SO losses IIRC (can't find that stats)