Is anyone to blame if we don't finish last?

Stads

i have my own ideas that cannot be mentioned but hypothetically at mcnasty phil collins face value..... if thisindividually wont ever be hired again for any team to win or lose in any of the 30 cities in the show... why, if they are playing for comtracts and jobs after the trade deadline , all they are showing if they consistently get results to spite the wonderful but emotionally frail and exhausted  fans of western ny ( that were screwed for many many years by a gm that is a master of destruction but blows at building ateam w chracter ( save us Punch) and was probably bribed by philly or ny to not sign briere and drury who were probably thri;lled for anothershot at run at the cup in buffalo ( where we care) if they were treated  remotely fair by a franchise that usually made good devisions in trades and contracts ( yeah i know the owner at the time was who he was but any true blue gm would have signed one)...) and the players who are new must know that we are the most loyal fan base anywhere as we all are suffering through darc corsi re gear...

If i took a check to come here i would know the deal as i accepted being treated like king around a town that just wants to win and stick it to boston and philly and montreal etc.. we would root for an all alquaeda national team if they played with heart and had a shot at the playoffs at the trade deadline.. we would shower them with love and buy them prayer rugs, new skull caps and flyi.g lessons so they could fly better than the yankee pitcher in nyc 2006.  after march i would do whats best for the franscgise and play to win as they have but i may not be so publically bummed that the fans are cheering for the chance at future victories ( and are giving players a pass about their bantam level play).. it may even motivate me tp play better but i know pat kalaeta would never want to stick it to the fans or i would have difficulty believing that as many like gionta have wanted to don the crest and play for us and get a check that says buffalo to take home to his family that has sabres hats for love of the team for generations.  if they do lose out on the season (chl style) and the lotto then we just set ourselves back a year but... we will never have to endure a year like the last 2 (if we even have hockey at all watching the many retirements of nfl players) because the strong personalities coming to this team and staying will play each night with purpose that is evident as we see effort and heart scvattered throught the past 20 games..BUT,  Players that suddenly show they have more talent and drive than we have seen all year to stick it to us will be playing suddenly on any of the teams that draft 4 to ten with a nice chicken dinner and a questionaire that asks what we could have done to motivate you to win amd play out of love the last two years that you only can express in spite.. I would bet that after watching the rejuvenation on film very few gms would trust them to maintain that for 80 games with hate as their engine.

I'm not sure if the city of buffalo has to overcome the wrath of some unknown force but i do know this. The people of the city seem more aware than many other places of each others emotions and always seem to work as a team taking on all who may try to bring us down in any situation outside of the city as well. I imagine thats one reason why so many former players maintain some form of residence. This is true  against all reasonable odds of success in any situation with people that have been exposed to ten years or so of licing in Buffalo or even Rochester. We even share similar fatalistic feelings and the lurking threats of doom that cities like cleveland and clubs like the redsox cubs and hartfoed whalers etc have endured like us.. We arent scum that will revert to anything like the trash from baahston or would we act like we are that awesome and become insufferable , we  also arent so stupid and entitled to look for a Bartman should mceichel and a chance to win is stolen from us at the last second since we all cheered out of understanding for Norwood as he came home to a warm welcome. Sorry cleveland..we arent trailer trash as well ( although many clevelanders are very cool and many are friends that i am lucky to have).. we have some pride and perserverance that may exist individually but noy united as we have seen in Buffalo.I am glad the rest of the world helped you get back a team that was stolen from you but its like getting the jads if we lost the bills. ( it will take a generation to forget that slight). We believe we are winners that have been unreasonably denied our birthright (thats correct) despite all the evidence... I have won being a buffalo fan because i got to see gretsk(e)y's favorite player 30 times a year and despite mgmt. Burt and most who play here felt appreciated by the fans (just win weber,  and play with heart everytime you step on the ice and you guys wouldnt have to worry about us hoping to improve through the draft, sir).. My super nowl was being amazed by the houstoon comeback from the endzone... I have seen enough that amazed me to believe some day it will all come together, maybe on another planet or another lifetime but it will be GLORIOUS  .. 

Is any player thinks they should be loved by giving us the hockey version of the washington generals then he has more mommy and daddy issues than we have time to discuss. If you are an honorable merc then you do your best to earn your artificially elevated postion in society by earning the love and respect of yhe town you are paid to defend..

I believe this team has done exactly that.. aside from a few childish comments and overzealous play by the mentally insane ( that 2 seasons of victory ambiguity may cause)

I believe that a more talented team that is not under the eye of caring intelligent fans has gone on a chl epic win streak because of the only man with real vitriol for buffalo... i dont have to say more... how has he motivated them?

I have never questioned the teams' desire to be victorius for the fans in buffalo who not only are paying attention like fans up north but are more forgiving and have shown more knowledge and caring on and off the ice for yhe product they give us on the ice and gridiron . The city would not be the same without both teams all the players and the relationship with the fans.. never underestimate the value of intamacy that is not lost on players like pat kaleta, gionta and new guys like bogosian who remember the real feeling of hockey we had in the 70s  80s and nineties before darcy gutted and wussified our beloved team by the 2007,8 season.

I think we know who the enemy is... I trust that..

i have my own ideas that cannot be mentioned but hypothetically at mcnasty phil collins face value..... if thisindividually wont ever be hired again for any team to win or lose in any of the 30 cities in the show... why, if they are playing for comtracts and jobs after the trade deadline , all they are showing if they consistently get results to spite the wonderful but emotionally frail and exhausted  fans of western ny ( that were screwed for many many years by a gm that is a master of destruction but blows at building ateam w chracter ( save us Punch) and was probably bribed by philly or ny to not sign briere and drury who were probably thri;lled for anothershot at run at the cup in buffalo ( where we care) if they were treated  remotely fair by a franchise that usually made good devisions in trades and contracts ( yeah i know the owner at the time was who he was but any true blue gm would have signed one)...) and the players who are new must know that we are the most loyal fan base anywhere as we all are suffering through darc corsi ###### re gear...

If i took a check to come here i would know the deal as i accepted being treated like king around a town that just wants to win and stick it to boston and philly and montreal etc.. we would root for an all alquaeda national team if they played with heart and had a shot at the playoffs at the trade deadline.. we would shower them with love and buy them prayer rugs, new skull caps and flyi.g lessons so they could fly better than the yankee pitcher in nyc 2006.  after march i would do whats best for the franscgise and play to win as they have but i may not be so publically bummed that the fans are cheering for the chance at future victories ( and are giving players a pass about their bantam level play).. it may even motivate me tp play better but i know pat kalaeta would never want to stick it to the fans or i would have difficulty believing that as many like gionta have wanted to don the crest and play for us and get a check that says buffalo to take home to his family that has sabres hats for love of the team for generations.  if they do lose out on the season (chl style) and the lotto then we just set ourselves back a year but... we will never have to endure a year like the last 2 (if we even have hockey at all watching the many retirements of nfl players) because the strong personalities coming to this team and staying will play each night with purpose that is evident as we see effort and heart scvattered throught the past 20 games..BUT,  Players that suddenly show they have more talent and drive than we have seen all year to stick it to us will be playing suddenly on any of the teams that draft 4 to ten with a nice chicken dinner and a questionaire that asks what we could have done to motivate you to win amd play out of love the last two years that you only can express in spite.. I would bet that after watching the rejuvenation on film very few gms would trust them to maintain that for 80 games with hate as their engine.

I'm not sure if the city of buffalo has to overcome the wrath of some unknown force but i do know this. The people of the city seem more aware than many other places of each others emotions and always seem to work as a team taking on all who may try to bring us down in any situation outside of the city as well. I imagine thats one reason why so many former players maintain some form of residence. This is true  against all reasonable odds of success in any situation with people that have been exposed to ten years or so of licing in Buffalo or even Rochester. We even share similar fatalistic feelings and the lurking threats of doom that cities like cleveland and clubs like the redsox cubs and hartfoed whalers etc have endured like us.. We arent scum that will revert to anything like the trash from baahston or would we act like we are that awesome and become insufferable , we  also arent so stupid and entitled to look for a Bartman should mceichel and a chance to win is stolen from us at the last second since we all cheered out of understanding for Norwood as he came home to a warm welcome. Sorry cleveland..we arent trailer trash as well ( although many clevelanders are very cool and many are friends that i am lucky to have).. we have some pride and perserverance that may exist individually but noy united as we have seen in Buffalo.I am glad the rest of the world helped you get back a team that was stolen from you but its like getting the jads if we lost the bills. ( it will take a generation to forget that slight). We believe we are winners that have been unreasonably denied our birthright (thats correct) despite all the evidence... I have won being a buffalo fan because i got to see gretsk(e)y's favorite player 30 times a year and despite mgmt. Burt and most who play here felt appreciated by the fans (just win weber,  and play with heart everytime you step on the ice and you guys wouldnt have to worry about us hoping to improve through the draft, sir).. My super nowl was being amazed by the houstoon comeback from the endzone... I have seen enough that amazed me to believe some day it will all come together, maybe on another planet or another lifetime but it will be GLORIOUS  .. 

Is any player thinks they should be loved by giving us the hockey version of the washington generals then he has more mommy and daddy issues than we have time to discuss. If you are an honorable merc then you do your best to earn your artificially elevated postion in society by earning the love and respect of yhe town you are paid to defend..

I believe this team has done exactly that.. aside from a few childish comments and overzealous play by the mentally insane ( that 2 seasons of victory ambiguity may cause)

I believe that a more talented team that is not under the eye of caring intelligent fans has gone on a chl epic win streak because of the only man with real vitriol for buffalo... i dont have to say more... how has he motivated them?

I have never questioned the teams' desire to be victorius for the fans in buffalo who not only are paying attention like fans up north but are more forgiving and have shown more knowledge and caring on and off the ice for yhe product they give us on the ice and gridiron . The city would not be the same without both teams all the players and the relationship with the fans.. never underestimate the value of intamacy that is not lost on players like pat kaleta, gionta and new guys like bogosian who remember the real feeling of hockey we had in the 70s  80s and nineties before darcy gutted and wussified our beloved team by the 2007,8 season.

I think we know who the enemy is... I trust that..

Nice. Again I offer you a welcome.

I think you'll be here long term cause you're a drunken lunatic like the rest of us apparently. Oh and thanks for taking care of that ridiculous avatar! :beer:

Jeremy White, Mike Schopp,

Totalitarian Instigators.

It wouldn't be half the controversy without those radio boys.

I was going to say Mike Harrington and some of the other hacks at the News.  They're the ones who made the Coyotes game 10x bigger than it was.  How would the GR guys have spurred this play on?

I'd say the blame would mostly be on: Luck (Not Andrew). And to some extent, the Yotes. We are very close to locking up the Shart. If we don't do it, it'll just be because of a couple of random breaks, and Arizona just plain-old out-tanking us.

If I had to put the "blame" on one person, it would be Tim Murray. But not in an, "zomg it's aaaaaallll his fault!!!!!1" kind of way. I think Tim Murray could have down more, in a way, to guarantee last. For example, sending Larsson back down to Rochester, demanding Hackett gets his games, etc. Yes, I think he is probably hoping for last, but in my view he is not 100% completely dead-set on it. He could have done more if he was. Arizona traded Yandle, who I believe was still under contract for next season. There were other things that went into GMTM's mission statement for this season. Get the culture changed, maximize UFA assets, promote an environment in which the young players on the team could begin to grow, and yes, preferably get a high draft pick. 

I think he is accepting of the fact that getting a high pick is important, and that getting a top 2 pick would be ideal. But he isn't ditching all other goals to meet that end.

Edited by Thorny

Tim Murray.  Supposedly this is the season where we're trying to finish last and he breaks the bank to bring back Moulson and trades draft picks for Gorges.  He has two good goalies in Enroth and Neuvirth, and he waits forever to trade them.  And, worst of all, he's using a coach who is completely philosophically opposed to what the team is doing.  

When this goes sideways -- and I assume it's "when" at this point as I watch the Sabres take the lead against the Blackhawks late in the 3rd period -- it's time to think about what grade we'd give Murray for his first year and a half.  Other than Reinhart, his first draft sucked.  And if the Tank fails, then what has he done right?

You can blame Nolan for being a moron who can't work with any NHL GM ever.

And you can blame Pegula for not being ruthless enough to pull this off.  He got wobbly halfway through last season, fired everyone, and brought in old fan favorites because rebuilding felt too icky for him.

Whatever.  It's Buffalo.  Did you expect things to work out?

Yeah, I'm thinking more and more that GMTM was too hands off in his approach to managing the Tank late in the season.  IF his goal was to finish last, he hasn't done much of late to assure it.   If not for Toews' amazing performance in less than 1 minute of ice time last night, we would now be TIED in points with Arizona. IF I were the boss, I would have had Nolan in my office long ago and ripped him a brand new one.  

Even with the loss last night, we're still skating on very thin ice.  We've a 2 point lead and 4 games left.  2 of those teams are cellar teams - Blue Jackets and Carolina.     Arizona is facing a MUCH better caliber of opposition in those final 4 games -   Sharks, Flames, Canucks and Ducks.     I could very easily see Arizona losing cleanly in regulation to ALL 4,   whereas the Sabres could easily pick up a couple points against one or more of those shart teams they're facing.  

What happens if we tie Arizona in points?  Both teams have one win against the other, although Buffalo has earned more points against Arizona - would that be the deciding factor?  

Yeah, I'm thinking more and more that GMTM was too hands off in his approach to managing the Tank late in the season.  IF his goal was to finish last, he hasn't done much of late to assure it.   If not for Toews' amazing performance in less than 1 minute of ice time last night, we would now be TIED in points with Arizona. IF I were the boss, I would have had Nolan in my office long ago and ripped him a brand new one.  

Even with the loss last night, we're still skating on very thin ice.  We've a 2 point lead and 4 games left.  2 of those teams are cellar teams - Blue Jackets and Carolina.     Arizona is facing a MUCH better caliber of opposition in those final 4 games -   Sharks, Flames, Canucks and Ducks.     I could very easily see Arizona losing cleanly in regulation to ALL 4,   whereas the Sabres could easily pick up a couple points against one or more of those shart teams they're facing.  

What happens if we tie Arizona in points?  Both teams have one win against the other, although Buffalo has earned more points against Arizona - would that be the deciding factor?

Unless the Sabres win all 4 remaining games prior to a SO AND the Yotes go 3-1-0 with all 3 wins coming in the SO, a tie gives Buffalo 30th.

...   I have never questioned the teams' desire to be victorius for the fans in buffalo who not only are paying attention like fans up north but are more forgiving and have shown more knowledge and caring on and off the ice for yhe product they give us on the ice and gridiron . The city would not be the same without both teams all the players and the relationship with the fans.. never underestimate the value of intamacy that is not lost on players like pat kaleta, gionta and new guys like bogosian who remember the real feeling of hockey we had in the 70s  80s and nineties before darcy gutted and wussified our beloved team by the 2007,8 season. ...

After what Meszaros said, I don't see how anyone CAN'T question his and others desire to be victorious. 

GO SABRES!!!

The only good news is that one of those two cellar teams (Columbus) is 11-1-0 in their last 12.  However, it's hard to believe that the Sabres won't win against Carolina or get any points against the other three.  If the Coyotes don't win at least one (or lose two in OT), I think we're in trouble.

Edited by carpandean

The only good news is that one of those two cellar teams (Columbus) is 11-1-0 in their last 12. However, it's hard to believe that the Sabres won't win against Carolina or get any points against the other three. If the Coyotes don't win at least one (or lose two in OT), I think we're in trouble.

Why is it hard to believe we won't beat Carolina? They're a fair amount better than us.

Why is it hard to believe we won't beat Carolina? They're a fair amount better than us.

Maybe.  I just feel like the Sabres will almost certainly win that one.

Here's a fun thought: the Coyotes play the Ducks to close out the season.  It is possible that the Ducks winning would clinch #1 (PT) for them and #30 for the Coyotes.

Edited by carpandean

I was going to say Mike Harrington and some of the other hacks at the News.  They're the ones who made the Coyotes game 10x bigger than it was.  How would the GR guys have spurred this play on?

I think that the real tragedy isn't in finishing last, but in the active pursuit of last place, to which end, they've been the biggest instigators for the last 2 seasons.  They were way ahead of 95% of the posters here, whom have since followed suit.  They consciously set the goal of finishing in last place.  It's a moral conundrum of their own making.  Now, they bite their nails, and say how stressful the situation is, without taking responsibility for the fact that they put themselves in this absurd position of their own accord.  They are the ones who have made it a monomania.  The truth is, you all could have been rooting for wins this whole stretch.  You're like Ahab and the White Whale.  This obsession is ultimately leading you to your own destruction.  

I think that the real tragedy isn't in finishing last, but in the active pursuit of last place, to which end, they've been the biggest instigators for the last 2 seasons.  They were way ahead of 95% of the posters here, whom have since followed suit.  They consciously set the goal of finishing in last place.  It's a moral conundrum of their own making.  Now, they bite their nails, and say how stressful the situation is, without taking responsibility for the fact that they put themselves in this absurd position of their own accord.  They are the ones who have made it a monomania.  The truth is, you all could have been rooting for wins this whole stretch.  You're like Ahab and the White Whale.  This obsession is ultimately leading you to your own destruction.  

What?!?  The question is

What?!?  The question is

One step ahead of you, bbb.  Is anyone to blame if we don't finish last

... for the histrionic reactions of the pro-tank crowd..

Let's face it:  if we don't finish last, we'll still get a great player, and be an improving team.  But the pro-tank crowd will be truly insufferable.  That will truly be the worst part of not finishing last.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.