Hodgson or Nolan: Who is more likely gone at the end of the season?

Eleven

see topic  

63 members have voted

1. 1. Not whom you wish to be gone, but your prediction

GMTM to CoHo last October:  "I think you're a good player and may have a long term future with the Sabres.  That said, this season is going to be more about development than winning.  So you're going to see some different situations than you're used to, and frankly your ice time might go down.  I don't want you to get discouraged; you're an asset in this organization.  But this season is more about bringing some of the other guys along, so you may not be put in situations that will best use your talent.  I need you to work hard off the ice and make sure you're ready when the rest of the team is.  Understand what I'm asking you, Cody?"

CoHo:  "Yes, sir."  (Unspoken thought bubble over CoHo's head:  TANK ON!")

If there is any one player on the team that is actively tanking for McEichel, it's Cody Hodgson.  I'm not saying he was told to go out there and tank, but if Murray gave him a "pep talk" anything like my imagined scenario above, Cody's probably smart enough to get Murray's drift.  And so when he shoots, he tries extra hard to hit the corners.... and misses.  Maybe he works hard all the way up the ice, but when it's time for that last pass.... it's not the best.  Limiting the output of the previous year's leading scorer (especially if he *wink*wink* "gets it") would be an effective strategy toward the best shot at McEichel.

So maybe CoHo just had an off year.  Maybe he's in on the tank.  Either way I would expect a bounce-back year come next season.

Wow. So Hodgson is sucking on purpose now just so we can get a shiny new center to replace him in the top 6 no less. Brilliant! What a guy. Especially after him and his dad made a stink in Vancouver because he wasn't getting top 6 minutes there which is what lead to him getting traded to us to begin with. He must have really had a change of heart.

This is a plausible scenario.  We are going to play you with defensive players to develop that portion of your game.

I'd say his two-way game is quite a bit better than when we first got him.  And like i said, he may get the unspoken message and hasn't really been trying to pad the stats, so to speak.  It's just like someone else suggested that Nolan's marching orders were directed more toward changing the culture of the team than winning games.

Wow. So Hodgson is sucking on purpose now just so we can get a shiny new center to replace him in the top 6 no less. Brilliant! What a guy. Especially after him and his dad made a stink in Vancouver because he wasn't getting top 6 minutes there which is what lead to him getting traded to us to begin with. He must have really had a change of heart.

If he's worried about his very survival in the league, yeah, maybe.  I see him as a winger going forward anyway, and they just traded away his biggest competition (Staff and Stewart).  He's set up for a breakout year next year.

Edited by Neuvichs Perchatka

If the start of 2015-16 is stellar for Cody ( through the first 35 games on pace for a 12-15 goal season) an up/down, big club/ minor club player. I keep thinking that GMTM has a hand full of the Nick Deslauriers trade types he is ready to pull off. Each club gets an NHL player if they can revive or kick start their game.

If Cody starts 15-16 the same as he has ended this season, a third plus rounder. Some team will take a small chance that their coach can revive Cody's game.

I just don't see a Cody Hodgson on the LA Kings, so I don't envision him with the Sabres, as that seems to be the model for GMTM.

Perhaps, I think the only way his game gets revived is on a high skill eastern conference team. He's not well suited for the western conference, his skating and size dont fit. 

He needs to be surrounded by faster puck carriers, and see some PP time wiht same.  That's his only real shot. 

I'd say his two-way game is quite a bit better than when we first got him.  And like i said, he may get the unspoken message and hasn't really been trying to pad the stats, so to speak.  It's just like someone else suggested that Nolan's marching orders were directed more toward changing the culture of the team than winning games.

If he's worried about his very survival in the league, yeah, maybe.  I see him as a winger going forward anyway.

Based on your logic he shouldn't have to worry about his very survival in the league because he's only sucking so we can draft his replacement. Any guy willing to jump on a grenade like that would be celebrated around the league. Look at the unselfishness! The guy is in his prime, can play center, and scored .61 ppg last year on the worst team in league that also happened to have to worst offense by a mile. So he agreed to take one from the team the year after he lead our team in points so we can draft a forward who would possibly replace him in the top 6? Are you forgetting about why he made a stink in Vancouver and forced his way out or just ignoring it? This is grasping at straws in the worst way in order to make excuses for a piss poor year.

Maybe he bounces back this year, maybe he doesn't. Maybe he gets bought out at 1/3 his contract or maybe Murray moves him for peanuts or maybe we roll the dice and keep him. He's having a horrible season for sure, but to say he's sucking on purpose so we can draft a forward to replace him is ridiculous. He probably will move to the wing permanently because he's poor defensively but there's no way he decided to suck on purpose this year or Murray coaxed him into it. Given the fact that he's right handed and our depth chart at RW is non-existent it's remotely fathomable that he'd still have some place on this roster but I don't buy that Murray convinced him to stink up the joint this season.

Edited by Drunkard

Perhaps, I think the only way his game gets revived is on a high skill eastern conference team. He's not well suited for the western conference, his skating and size dont fit. 

He needs to be surrounded by faster puck carriers, and see some PP time wiht same.  That's his only real shot.

I agree 100%. GMTM is building a Western Conference type team here, Cody is not in the long term plans. Montréal? Rangers? Speed, skill, high pace teams. I think he would be a good fit, but I just don't see getting much for him.

Oh, it's a stretch.  It's one scenario and I don't blame anyone for not agreeing with my crackpot theories.  If I hadn't voiced it I probably wouldn't believe it from someone else.  That's the beauty of kibitzing on a message forum; there's nothing riding on whether I'm right or wrong.  But think about it if he does get top-6 time next season and improves on his numbers from last season.

This sounds like a player trying to make lemonade from the season of lemons.

“I love playing with Ellis,” Hodgson said. “He works so hard, creates so many loose pucks out there. He’s smart and plays on the right side of the puck, backchecks harder than anyone I’ve played with. He’s always in the right position and it makes the game easy to play.

Cody will be here longer than Nolan.

Neither will be here next year at this time.

I think Cody is part of trade deadline package in 2016. GMTM will let no asset walk without compensation.

To your last point: Hodgson isn't a free agent after next season so he doesn't have to deal him then to prevent getting nothing for him. And: see Ehrhoff. If he thinks the contract sucks he will buy him out. They can buy him out this offseason at 1/3 his total.

Oh, it's a stretch.  It's one scenario and I don't blame anyone for not agreeing with my crackpot theories.  If I hadn't voiced it I probably wouldn't believe it from someone else.  That's the beauty of kibitzing on a message forum; there's nothing riding on whether I'm right or wrong.  But think about it if he does get top-6 time next season and improves on his numbers from last season.

I wish your scenario was true because it would fix our issues at RW and balance our line up significantly. It's hard to imagine a player tanking and given his history it's really hard to imagine him tanking a season on purpose in particular. If it was somehow true though we'd be sitting pretty next season.

LW - Kane, Moulson, Foligno, Deslaurier

C - McEichel, Girgensens, Reinhart, Larsson, Grigorenko, McCormick

RW - the good Hodgson, Ennis, Gionta, Kaleta or one of the centers who doesn't get a spot at the pivot

To your last point: Hodgson isn't a free agent after next season so he doesn't have to deal him then to prevent getting nothing for him. And: see Ehrhoff. If he thinks the contract sucks he will buy him out. They can buy him out this offseason at 1/3 his total.

They get nothing for him by buying him out. I realize he has a multi-year contract. I just don't see a buy out vs. any other offer and GMTM not taking the "any other offer".

No one was taking the Ehrhoff contract and playing him out the term of the contract, even though most considered him a very good player. It was the end of Ehrhoff's contract that grenaded a trade deal for the Sabres.

Cody's contract is in line for a 2nd or 3rd line center, so a tradable contract. The debate then becomes is Cody "the player" worth the chance. To the Sabres (no buyout) and to a potential trade partner.

I think yes, but it will garnish little in return. The biggest part of trading Cody is not buying him out.

Edited by Woods-Racer

It's hard to imagine a player tanking and given his history

If I recall, a lot of it came from his dad (helicopter parent much?)  Maybe Cody is starting to think for himself.  And maybe he's not tanking "on purpose" but simply working on his defensive game per GMTM's instructions to make him a more versatile player, and simply not worrying about the scoring too much because Murray told him that his biggest assignment this year is to become a true two-way player - that with the talent that's coming it gives him the best shot at a long term NHL career.  If he realized his dad's bluster can't protect him he may be listening to career advice from the Sabres organization.

If I recall, a lot of it came from his dad (helicopter parent much?)  Maybe Cody is starting to think for himself.  And maybe he's not tanking "on purpose" but simply working on his defensive game per GMTM's instructions to make him a more versatile player, and simply not worrying about the scoring too much because Murray told him that his biggest assignment this year is to become a true two-way player - that with the talent that's coming it gives him the best shot at a long term NHL career.  If he realized his dad's bluster can't protect him he may be listening to career advice from the Sabres organization.

Perhaps.  

But he has been horrible in both ends. He can't seem to keep the puck on his stick in the O end.  Regardless of the reason, this just isn't his year. 

They get nothing for him by buying him out. I realize he has a multi-year contract. I just don't see a buy out vs. any other offer and GMTM not taking the "any other offer".

No one was taking the Ehrhoff contract and playing him out the term of the contract, even though most considered him a very good player. It was the end of Ehrhoff's contract that grenaded a trade deal for the Sabres.

Cody's contract is in line for a 2nd or 3rd line center, so a tradable contract. The debate then becomes is Cody "the player" worth the chance. To the Sabres (no buyout) and to a potential trade partner.

I think yes, but it will garnish little in return. The biggest part of trading Cody is not buying him out.

They gain cap space that can be used towards a better player for the top 6 or towards a player better suited for the bottom 6 than Hodgson is. Even if they don't need it this year they may need it 2 or 3 seasons from now and if they decide to wait and buy him out next year or the year after, the buyout will be for 2/3 instead of 1/3 at that point.

Edited by Drunkard

They gain cap space that can be used towards a better player for the top 6 or towards a player better suited for the bottom 6 than Hodgson is. Even if they don't need it this year they may need it 2 or 3 seasons from now and if they decide to wait and buy him out next year or the year after, the buyout will be for 2/3 instead of 1/3 at that point.

Absolutely.

But the Pegulas' are still paying a player for several years not to play. I know he is rich, but I'm sure he doesn't like to do that, especially if there is a reasonable chance of moving Cody and passing on his contract so there is no hit to the salary cap.

We will all find out soon enough.

Absolutely.

But the Pegulas' are still paying a player for several years not to play. I know he is rich, but I'm sure he doesn't like to do that, especially if there is a reasonable chance of moving Cody and passing on his contract so there is no hit to the salary cap.

We will all find out soon enough.

They're doing this with Lameo right now.   At this point,  Hodgson is even worse than Leino was.  

Hodgson appears to be yet another bad personnel decision by Darcy Regier, in the same way that Leino was.  

They're doing this with Lameo right now.   At this point,  Hodgson is even worse than Leino was.  

Hodgson appears to be yet another bad personnel decision by Darcy Regier, in the same way that Leino was.  

Drop it down a gear, friend, those are some strong words.

• 2 weeks later...