Lindback - good enough to start next season?

Doohickie

A few months back you didn't think we'd get Hanifin/Marner/Strome in the best case scenario. Right now that's the worst case scenario. I think you're reasonable enough to know one of them is still a good outcome even if it's not what we all want.

Indeed.

But a month ago we were 8 points back of Edmonton and 12 points back of Arizona (or thereabouts).  And I remembered thinking "Why was I ever so worried?  Good things can happen."  I embraced the idea of a perfect outcome and now I have to be ready to abandon it again.

Now here we are -- 3 points from disappointment.  We're in the "lead" but this feels like the Bills are up by 1 and Brady is getting the ball back with 2:10 left on the clock.  We're Buffalo, and we know how this ends.

Give me Dylan Strome and tell me he lives up to his "no.1 center, Nicklas Backstrom-type" potential and I'll be content.

Indeed.

But a month ago we were 8 points back of Edmonton and 12 points back of Arizona (or thereabouts).  And I remembered thinking "Why was I ever so worried?  Good things can happen."  I embraced the idea of a perfect outcome and now I have to be ready to abandon it again.

Now here we are -- 3 points from disappointment.  We're in the "lead" but this feels like the Bills are up by 1 and Brady is getting the ball back with 2:10 left on the clock.  We're Buffalo, and we know how this ends.

Give me Dylan Strome and tell me he lives up to his "no.1 center, Nicklas Backstrom-type" potential and I'll be content.

No. Hecht just scored and we're taking a 2-1 lead into the third period of Game 7.

Indeed.

But a month ago we were 8 points back of Edmonton and 12 points back of Arizona (or thereabouts). And I remembered thinking "Why was I ever so worried? Good things can happen." I embraced the idea of a perfect outcome and now I have to be ready to abandon it again.

Now here we are -- 3 points from disappointment. We're in the "lead" but this feels like the Bills are up by 1 and Brady is getting the ball back with 2:10 left on the clock. We're Buffalo, and we know how this ends.

I will say, from a purely off the ice perspective, finishing 29th and the lottery bumping us to 3rd gives all kinds of interesting "what should/will Murray do" conversations. Take Hanifin and try to move Zadorov in a package for O'Reilly? Trade down? Take Hanifin and keep all the Dmen and go for a 2007-like Ducks blue line? While I know some here are "McEichel or bust" I'd really like to believe Murray isn't and he has planned some alternatives.

I much prefer offensive hockey, and a huge part of the reason I want McEichel is it means we can build my ideal team and we get to watch him 82 times per year, so I'll of course have some disappointment of that doesn't happen. But I do think the roster building conversations and potential moves are pretty interesting in their own right even if we don't land one.

I will say, from a purely off the ice perspective, finishing 29th and the lottery bumping us to 3rd gives all kinds of interesting "what should/will Murray do" conversations. Take Hanifin and try to move Zadorov in a package for O'Reilly? Trade down? Take Hanifin and keep all the Dmen and go for a 2007-like Ducks blue line? While I know some here are "McEichel or bust" I'd really like to believe Murray isn't and he has planned some alternatives.

I much prefer offensive hockey, and a huge part of the reason I want McEichel is it means we can build my ideal team and we get to watch him 82 times per year, so I'll of course have some disappointment of that doesn't happen. But I do think the roster building conversations and potential moves are pretty interesting in their own right even if we don't land one.

We talk about taking Hanifin and moving Zads, but do you think there's a chance that we actually would move pick 3 for some offense? I think that could get us a lot more than Zadorov could.

We talk about taking Hanifin and moving Zads, but do you think there's a chance that we actually would move pick 3 for some offense? I think that could get us a lot more than Zadorov could.

I just don't see a team moving a valuable enough piece for #3 to make me bite. Colorado game for a MacKinnon trade? Count me in. Tampa decides they don't have room for Drouin? In again. But I have a hard time envisioning something like that happening.

Edit: So in the abstract, sure, it could happeng--I think there are offers Murray would bite on. I just don't see him getting one of those offers.

Edited by TrueBluePhD

It seems that with the tutelage of Irbe and getting regular playing time, Anders Lindback is holding the Sabres in a lot of games since he's come over.  Does GMTM consider just keeping him on?

I think the Sabres should be concerned with keeping Arturs Irbe as goalkeeper coach! The production he has gotten from various keepers is impressive. 

BTW, I don't understand why Ted Nolan has not embraced the tank. It's just not the smart thing to do at this point. What good will it do to win a few games down the stretch? It certainly won't save his job. It only hurts the team in the future by screwing up a top 2 draft choice this year. I don't get the logic here. It makes no sense to win any more games. Why is GM Murray doing everything to focus on the future and then let his coach follow a different path? 

I just don't see a team moving a valuable enough piece for #3 to make me bite. Colorado game for a MacKinnon trade? Count me in. Tampa decides they don't have room for Drouin? In again. But I have a hard time envisioning something like that happening.

Edit: So in the abstract, sure, it could happeng--I think there are offers Murray would bite on. I just don't see him getting one of those offers.

I can see that. Tampa already has a few good defense prospects I believe. I'd totally be willing to give that up if it means young offensive talent for next year, but I won't expect it then.

"Interesting" is overrated.  The Bills have given us lots of interesting QB talk the last 15 years and it hasn't been awesome by any stretch.  You know what isn't interesting?  Patriots QB talk.

That said, if we're no.3, I think my pick is Strome and we try to have the best group of centers in the league (Strome, Reinhart, Girgensons) for the next 10 years.  Probably not as interesting as Hanifin plus a trade, or "Mitch the Magiciain" Marner but it would hopefully set the Sabres up at center like never before.

BTW, I don't understand why Ted Nolan has not embraced the tank. It's just not the smart thing to do at this point. What good will it do to win a few games down the stretch? It certainly won't save his job. It only hurts the team in the future by screwing up a top 2 draft choice this year. I don't get the logic here. It makes no sense to win any more games. Why is GM Murray doing everything to focus on the future and then let his coach follow a different path? 

Why do you think Nolan hasn't embraced the tank?  What else can he do to make the team worse than what they already are?  At some point you have to let all this just play out and the chips fall where they may.  You've got a bunch of players who have pride playing for their jobs; maybe not jobs in Buffalo but jobs in the NHL.  Next year we get numerous players back off injury PLUS a potential influx of draft picks.  Where do some of the current marginal players go?  AHL or out the door?  Who's going to pick them up if they're seen dogging it on the ice over these few weeks.  These guys are trying to make a name for themselves.  And if I was a guy on the team being asked to dog it so Buffalo can finish DFL and draft my replacement I'd be a little ticked and would like nothing else but to toss a monkey wrench into things.

Sure I'd love to see them finish last and win the sweepstakes but I also liked hearing the NBC guys last night praising Buffalo for their "hard work" and hustle and how they gave it their all.  Maybe they were blowing smoke but it was nice to hear that recognition nonetheless.

The idea that Lindback and/or Irbe are hot commodities is misguided.

Goaltending in the NHL (and in hockey generally) is a black art, and success over a limited period of time portends essentially nothing about a goalie's long-term prospects.

The cruelest (and most likely) irony would be if Lindback managed to land us in 29th by playing out of his mind over the next few weeks, and then followed that up by playing his way out of the NHL during the first half of next season.

"Interesting" is overrated.  The Bills have given us lots of interesting QB talk the last 15 years and it hasn't been awesome by any stretch.  You know what isn't interesting?  Patriots QB talk.

That said, if we're no.3, I think my pick is Strome and we try to have the best group of centers in the league (Strome, Reinhart, Girgensons) for the next 10 years.  Probably not as interesting as Hanifin plus a trade, or "Mitch the Magiciain" Marner but it would hopefully set the Sabres up at center like never before.

Well, if you think "this turd is slightly less smelly and mushy than that turd" is interesting, then sure. But in this scenario we're talking about real players and prospects, not some pie in the sky .001% scenario coming to fruition. 

And I'm with you on Strome unless one of my "not going to happen" trades from a previous post gets offered.

I think the Sabres should be concerned with keeping Arturs Irbe as goalkeeper coach! The production he has gotten from various keepers is impressive. 

You're being sarcastic, I hope

Rumor from a Rangers' fan friend of mine...Sabres might be interested in Cam Talbot, who's a UFA this offseason with a 1.45 mil cap hit. He's 29-13-5 career and has been stellar during Lundquist's absence.

Now Lindback has been better than expected and it might be in part due to Arturs Irbe, seeing how both Neuvirth and Enroth have tanked since leaving. 

The two games vs. Arizona coming up will figure a lot about the Sabres future.

Edited by 716

The two games vs. Arizona coming up will figure a lot about the Sabres future.

Ya think?

Seriously, it seems that whenever we evaluate how to fill a position on the team, we as fans default to the current player. Right now that's Lindback, which was the reason for this thread. In general though we look at it from a position of whether or not to keep Player X. For instance, when Chris Stewart was traded it was not an uncommon view around here to think he would be brought back in free agency.

Murray looks at it differently I think. He looks at all the available players to fill that role throughout the league and spends the resources he has available (existing players, draft picks and cap hit) to get the best available player for that slot.

From what you said about Talbot, I think it's likely Lindback won't be back (unless Johnson is moved, since he still has a year left). Murray is going to bring in the best option he can get his hands on without preference to current UFA Sabres.

And in the Chris Stewart case above, I think there's a chance he'll be back, but only if he's the best option for Murray and the Sabres.

Ya think?

Seriously, it seems that whenever we evaluate how to fill a position on the team, we as fans default to the current player. Right now that's Lindback, which was the reason for this thread. In general though we look at it from a position of whether or not to keep Player X. For instance, when Chris Stewart was traded it was not an uncommon view around here to think he would be brought back in free agency.

Murray looks at it differently I think. He looks at all the available players to fill that role throughout the league and spends the resources he has available (existing players, draft picks and cap hit) to get the best available player for that slot.

From what you said about Talbot, I think it's likely Lindback won't be back (unless Johnson is moved, since he still has a year left). Murray is going to bring in the best option he can get his hands on without preference to current UFA Sabres.

And in the Chris Stewart case above, I think there's a chance he'll be back, but only if he's the best option for Murray and the Sabres.

Absolutely.

I got mocked a little for saying they should sign Neuvirth.

But that's because I think he's the best fit of the free agent goalies out there.

Murray is ZFG about sentimental ties and I think that is great.

We're in last place because we have too many bad players.

The more new players the better.

Murray is ZFG about sentimental ties and I think that is great.

Being a GM =/= being a fan. Fandom is based on emotional attachment. That emotional attachment is of very limited value to a GM. Steve Yzerman? Yeah, keep him, even as his skill set declined. Not too many other players warrant that kind of attachment. (And even then, a trade to Ottawa was seriously considered so he could finish in the market he grew up in.)

Edited by Neuvichs Perchatka

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.