Murray has eye on top pick — in 2016

PASabreFan

If you play/show those quotes to 100 high school educated people, 90+ will come away with what the consensus here is: He doesn't want to be a non-playoff team next year, he just recognizes that, in the process of getting better, the team probably will fall a bit short. It's a process, dude. Becoming a contender takes some time -- it's not a "just add McEichel" recipe.

Your understanding of what he's saying is (*sigh*) a distortion of the language's plain meaning.

Tim doesn't do nuance like that. That's why so many like him. Hell, even I like him. He spoke his mind. I don't think anyone likes the message. Right now, they're taking it out on the messenger. Funny that I would have to be the one to bring the quote to the board's attention. Was everyone else covering their ears and screaming "lalalalalalalalala"?

No, it has a great deal to do with you.  The type who posts crap taken way out of context and then goes " who meeeeee?"  

How's it out of context? The quote is in context.

Keep in mind Tim said this before he knows what the draft will bring. And, if it brings McDavid, what agents will be knocking at the door hoping to get their clients on the kid's wing. Maybe if he's reading this, Tim is chuckling at getting me all excited. Maybe the message was intended for his fellow GMs. Don't try to take advantage of me — we're not even trying to make the playoffs next year. Maybe Tim's the real troll.

I love Terry !

I have no issues with the rebuild at all

So you do hate Taro.

Keep in mind Tim said this before he knows what the draft will bring. And, if it brings McDavid, what agents will be knocking at the door hoping to get their clients on the kid's wing. Maybe if he's reading this, Tim is chuckling at getting me all excited. Maybe the message was intended for his fellow GMs. Don't try to take advantage of me — we're not even trying to make the playoffs next year. Maybe Tim's the real troll.

So you do hate Taro.

Maybe he's just being realistic. How many teams go from last in the league to a playoff team in one year? There won't be any more roster manipulation tactics, but its tough to nearly double your point output in one year.

So you do hate Taro.

really that's your retort ?

your looking to hard

Edited by ddaryl

Tim doesn't do nuance like that. That's why so many like him. Hell, even I like him. He spoke his mind. I don't think anyone likes the message. Right now, they're taking it out on the messenger. Funny that I would have to be the one to bring the quote to the board's attention. Was everyone else covering their ears and screaming "lalalalalalalalala"?

How's it out of context? The quote is in context.

It can just as easily mean he hopes they are challenging for a playoff spot but can still win the lottery. You read that as he hopes they tank again and blah blah. 

Virtually everything you post puts the team and ownership in a negative light. 

I love Terry !

I have no issues with the rebuild at all

Everyone loves a rebuild. But at some point they have to end. 95% of the people here insisted that the rebuild/tank was over on draft day... 2015. Then the fun starts, despite the end result in the standings. Can you imagine Darcy saying, "Well, looks like we're getting a top pick. Now prepare to suffer again as we angle for another one, albeit with a better than 30th place product. But we'll see continuous improvement."

really that's your retort ?

your looking to hard

Right.

As if GMs need the media to communicate.... its not like the hockey community is a small world   :doh: .  GMs and front offices talk all the time. they don't need the media to do it for them. 

It can just as easily mean he hopes they are challenging for a playoff spot but can still win the lottery. You read that as he hopes they tank again and blah blah. 

Virtually everything you post puts the team and ownership in a negative light. 

They don't need my help.

Everyone loves a rebuild. But at some point they have to end. 95% of the people here insisted that the rebuild/tank was over on draft day... 2015. Then the fun starts, despite the end result in the standings. Can you imagine Darcy saying, "Well, looks like we're getting a top pick. Now prepare to suffer again as we angle for another one, albeit with a better than 30th place product. But we'll see continuous improvement."

Do we really need a poll to prove that this is a gross mis-characterization? Why anyone would think that when the opportunity for the best players was in this year's draft? Did anyone really think signing Gionta and Gorges was signaling that we were going for it this year? Benoit and Mezaros?

I love Timmy but I don't like that quote and while he may have misspoken I think PA's take on it jives more with what was said than everyone else's and I think the content of this thread would be a lot different if he wasn't the one to start it.

Thank you!

Do we really need a poll to prove that this is a gross mis-characterization? Why anyone would think that when the opportunity for the best players was in this year's draft? Did anyone really think signing Gionta and Gorges was signaling that we were going for it this year? Benoit and Mezaros?

Do you know what year it is?

Agreed Randall: I don't think the quote means we tank or won't try to improve as much as possible in the offseason, but its disappointing to hear him say that nonetheless; it's like he's just giving up on next year already. Regardless of the realism of our shot at the playoffs, I don't wanna hear my GM say we don't have one after two years of intentionally losing. If we don't make it next year that's what? 5 consecutive years without postseason hockey? In a sport where nearly 50% of the teams make the playoffs, 5 years is pathetic

Do you know what year it is?

It seems I mis-read your post. I would agree that the tank is over at the end of this year. Ending the tank =/= the end of our sucky team. The Sabres will be a bad team next year, possibly sniffing the playoff bubble if things go well. Just because the goal isn't to manipulate the roster for last, doesn't mean the team is magically filled with all-stars. It's still a team of mostly 20-25 year olds, and that doesn't win consistently in the NHL, no matter how talented the kids are.

I'm not going to copy and paste the quote again.

So, you stir the pot and then demur a request to make plain the basis for your thesis. Well, then, I guess I must agree in some measure that

This board is a ###### shitshow. 

Maybe if he's reading this, 

Dude. Whatever you're on - take less.

Here's the quote, again: 

"Selfishly, for the Buffalo Sabres, the first three picks (in ‘16) will be part of the lottery as opposed to just the first pick,” Murray said. “We’re not going to be a Stanley Cup contender next year but I hope we’re on the way up while still having a chance to win the lottery.

So, to review: He does not expect the team to contend for a Cup next year (um, yeah), so he hopes they are on the way up (sure!) and, even though he disagreed with configuring the system this way, also have a shot (but probably not a great one (given a finish in/around 20 (?))) at one of the top 3 picks (okay).

Seriously.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.