OT: Cell Phones

JJFIVEOH

Can't you just opt to not install the update?  I think it might download automatically but it'll ask to install.

I can prolong it, a prompt keeps popping up and I know I'll accidentally hit install now with my finger.... However after a certain period of time the carrier forces the OTA update out of the blue.... Typically I don't care about updates, but I've never seen so many terrible reviews about one. I know if I root before this happens I can stop the forced update, but I know If I try myself then I will mess something up lol

My Note 4 went immediately into the Lollipop update out of the box. It wasn't automatic I had to OK it, but so far so good. That's not to say you won't have any issues. I also rooted it, not sure if that might have negated any issues. 

Edited by JJFIVEOH

My Note 4 went immediately into the Lollipop update out of the box. It wasn't automatic I had to OK it, but so far so good. 

Huh; didn't know it would do that.

Thought it was funny timing given this thread, but I just got Android 5.1 last night.  Primarily behind the scenes bug fixes from the description, but so far running quite nicely.

Thought it was funny timing given this thread, but I just got Android 5.1 last night.  Primarily behind the scenes bug fixes from the description, but so far running quite nicely.

So all you people with the Nexus phones are like the guinea pigs for the rest of us.  :P

My Note 4 went immediately into the Lollipop update out of the box. It wasn't automatic I had to OK it, but so far so good. That's not to say you won't have any issues. I also rooted it, not sure if that might have negated any issues.

I believe the gs5 is mainly affected as this is a whole new operating system, the note 4 from what I believed was more compatible. Since I'm running 4.4.4 kitkat the jump to 5.0 lollipop hasn't been worked out..... I'd root and not accept any updates, except I don't know how to do that lol

I believe the gs5 is mainly affected as this is a whole new operating system, the note 4 from what I believed was more compatible. Since I'm running 4.4.4 kitkat the jump to 5.0 lollipop hasn't been worked out..... I'd root and not accept any updates, except I don't know how to do that lol

This is the first phone I rooted. I'm not 100% familiar with it yet, but I don't think you get any more factory updates if it's rooted. I believe you can manually do an update by using Samsung Kies 3 after you've rooted. Or you can install any of the latest ROM's that are released after a major update comes out. That last part I'm not too familiar with yet so I'm not going to get involved with that just yet (I'm more of a computer guy, not so much Anroid). I don't know what happens after installing a major ROM install if all the apps and settings remain, or if it's like a clean install. 

The rooting is very easy and only takes a couple of minutes. And I think you can unroot if you want to go back to factory updates. I'm still setting this phone up so I haven't gotten into all the advantages of rooting, but it does seem faster and I'm able to uninstall some of the factory apps. 

Maybe some others can chime in?

This is the first phone I rooted. I'm not 100% familiar with it yet, but I don't think you get any more factory updates if it's rooted. I believe you can manually do an update by using Samsung Kies 3 after you've rooted. Or you can install any of the latest ROM's that are released after a major update comes out. That last part I'm not too familiar with yet so I'm not going to get involved with that just yet (I'm more of a computer guy, not so much Anroid). I don't know what happens after installing a major ROM install if all the apps and settings remain, or if it's like a clean install.

The rooting is very easy and only takes a couple of minutes. And I think you can unroot if you want to go back to factory updates. I'm still setting this phone up so I haven't gotten into all the advantages of rooting, but it does seem faster and I'm able to uninstall some of the factory apps.

I always worried that If I root then I'll lose some information or screw up the phone, I love the way mine works now, the only reason I want root is to stop the OTA updates. If anyone could walk me through I'd appreciate it

I always worried that If I root then I'll lose some information or screw up the phone, I love the way mine works now, the only reason I want root is to stop the OTA updates. If anyone could walk me through I'd appreciate it

Rooting voids your warranty. But here's a couple of links. 

http://gs5.wonderhowto.com/how-to/root-any-samsung-galaxy-s5-variant-even-at-t-verizon-20-seconds-flat-0155617/

http://wccftech.com/root-galaxy-s5-g9005-how-to/

If you're happy with the way it is and not really into messing with your phone, you're probably better off not doing it. If you mess it up there's a slim chance you could make it inoperable. Don't do it just so you don't get update notifications. 

Edited by JJFIVEOH

Rooting voids your warranty. But here's a couple of links.

http://gs5.wonderhowto.com/how-to/root-any-samsung-galaxy-s5-variant-even-at-t-verizon-20-seconds-flat-0155617/

http://wccftech.com/root-galaxy-s5-g9005-how-to/

If you're happy with the way it is and not really into messing with your phone, you're probably better off not doing it. If you mess it up there's a slim chance you could make it inoperable. Don't do it just so you don't get update notifications.

Thanks, some of that looks touchy to me, easy nonetheless, I don't care about the notification so much, I just know that eventually Verizon will push the update on me and I don't want that to happen..... Or what typically happens is my fingers move too fast and I accidentally hit the install now button and then it's game over.... I fear that even if I try and root now that when the phone reboots that it will automatically start the new lollipop update. Stupid Verizon and their faulty OS updates

So all you people with the Nexus phones are like the guinea pigs for the rest of us.  :P

Ugh, I spoke too soon... OS 5.1 and Textra do NOT play well together. :(

That sucks. That's one thing I don't like about phones, you can't go back and reload everything from scratch like a computer. Or save an image and re-load that. Once you get that update on a phone, you're stuck. 

I rooted my Nexus 7 so it could write to USB storage when it was running 4.4. It recently updated to 5.0 (and I guess I should keep an eye out for 5.1), and I think it may have updated within 4.4.x a couple times. Since the 5 update for sure, though, it's no longer rooted (and I haven't bothered to re-root it since the need for USB writing was situational).

I'm uneasy about rooting for two reasons (one with absolutely no basis). The first is you're essentially giving a random person the internet the ability to "bug" you phone and since almost all the rooting tools run from a computer, you computer too. It's been drilled into my head to not run software from sources on the internet unless you trust them. The other if you were to pick up a rogue app without a rooted phone, they're sandboxed with only the permissions you give the app to read other stuff on the phone. With a rooted device, there's much more chance that something could infect the lower levels of the phone software that uninstalling the app won't fix.

I have unlimited data with AT&T. iPhone 6 Plus.

Zero complaints. Service is always reliable everywhere.

I too have AT&T and just recently got the iPhone 6 Plus.  All my other smart phones have been Android - I did try an iPhone 5 back when they first came out and I hated it.  It was returned in less than a week.  Since then Apple has added or modified a number of things on the 6 (and in iOS 8.x) that are more "Android-like".  After using both operating systems, I've found that Android phones do some things better than iPhones (and iPhones do some things better than Androids).  Much to my chagrin, I've found that the iPhone 6 Plus actually does work a bit better for the things I do regularly.  Additionally, it has iTunes built in, so I can carry all of my music with me all the time AND when I buy new music, it updates automatically.  (I had all of my music on a 64GB microSD card in my Galaxy Note 3, but the interface while playing the music was much clunkier than iTunes and I had to update it manually).  So, for now at least, I'm an Apple user.  (The one area that Apple needs to address is cost - they are WAY too expensive compared to Samsung, HTC, etc.).

I rooted my Nexus 7 so it could write to USB storage when it was running 4.4. It recently updated to 5.0 (and I guess I should keep an eye out for 5.1), and I think it may have updated within 4.4.x a couple times. Since the 5 update for sure, though, it's no longer rooted (and I haven't bothered to re-root it since the need for USB writing was situational).

I'm uneasy about rooting for two reasons (one with absolutely no basis). The first is you're essentially giving a random person the internet the ability to "bug" you phone and since almost all the rooting tools run from a computer, you computer too. It's been drilled into my head to not run software from sources on the internet unless you trust them. The other if you were to pick up a rogue app without a rooted phone, they're sandboxed with only the permissions you give the app to read other stuff on the phone. With a rooted device, there's much more chance that something could infect the lower levels of the phone software that uninstalling the app won't fix.

Interesting, thanks for the input. I'm really ###### when it comes to security. My ISP uses routers with a physical firewall, on my computers I run Kaspersky with a VPN service to top it off. On this new phone I've got security with a firewall, also a VPN service and I use an app that can control what permissions each app has. I haven't spent a lot of time on that yet. I'm not going to install an app that's not a mainstream app. You bring up a good point about the rooting process itself. I used a well known download for that with Odin 3.09. 

a-n-a-l is a censored word? 

Edited by JJFIVEOH

I haven't really looked hard at the specs, does the MotoX support USB OTG (On the go)? My Nexus 7 (tablet) does so all I have to buy was a cheap cable and I can plug USB sticks, SD card readers, or even a USB hard drive (with external power). It's not elegant, but on the rare occasion it works. That being said, I haven't run a portable device out of space since my 30GB iPod, I just don't carry all my music around with me like I used to, and I'm more of a book-reader for planes.

Just checked, it does support USB OTG.  Good tip, but yeah, clunky.  

Aaaaand, I spoke too soon again.  Apparentlly was an issue with T-Mobile sending corrupted MMS files, not OS 5.1.  Back to normal after a day and running quite well.  Seems to have fixed the random card opening bug from Lollipop, too.

• 2 weeks later...

I'll report back on this if something goes wrong, but Amazon might be a good way to go for buying a phone. I upgraded my wife's phone today via Amazon which saved me $100 vs. buying it via the Verizon Wireless site. Amazon checks your upgrade eligibility and everything. You still have the pay the Verizon upgrade fee; those guys could go suck a bag of.. lemons.. if not for having the best coverage in out-of-the-way places

• 10 months later...

I dig the idea of the priv, and even Blackberry to a degree, but I couldn't resist getting a Nexus 6.

I have always liked the BlackBerry security features, especially for a mostly business phone. Never a big fan of the BlackBerry OS, but recent versions would run all the Android apps without a problem.

With the Priv and the recent rumblings about 2 new devices in 2016 / 17, BlackBerry has gone full Android. They are still planning to support their BlackBerry OS devices, but have said the *future is Android*.

They will soon be abandoning the BBM messaging software ... the developer of it just recently left BlackBerry ... he was with the company pretty much from the start.  I and all BlackBerry users I know do not like / use BBM, but it was one of the first messaging apps.  Most the I know use the Google Messaging app, like me.

I also really like the BlackBerry Hub thing. 

A place where everything is summarized ... email, calls, messages ...

It took a while to get used to it, but it is a great way to keep everything organized.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.