OT: Cell Phones

JJFIVEOH

Just picked up an LG G4. I dropped Verizon for AT&T. AT&T gave me $1300 worth of prepaid Visa cards for switching from Verizon(2 phones, $650/phone). Combined AT&T and DirecTV bills and saved 10 more bucks. 15% workplace discount hasn't kicked in yet and I'm currently saving $21/month on my phone bill with 1 more gig of data and 2 new phones (my lady got the Galaxy S6). I had a pretty good day.   

I dig the idea of the priv, and even Blackberry to a degree, but I couldn't resist getting a Nexus 6.

Nice.  I'd had the Nexus 5 for 2 years now and could have happily kept it longer, but I just upgraded to the Nexus 5X (I didn't want something as big as the Nexus 6) and so far I'm really happy with it.  My dad will be inheriting my Nexus 5, so it's a win-win.  Only bummer is I had to buy it outright for $299 rather than through T-Mobile's equipment installment plan since Google decided not to release them to the carriers.  Womp womp.

Nice.  I'd had the Nexus 5 for 2 years now and could have happily kept it longer, but I just upgraded to the Nexus 5X (I didn't want something as big as the Nexus 6) and so far I'm really happy with it.  My dad will be inheriting my Nexus 5, so it's a win-win.  Only bummer is I had to buy it outright for $299 rather than through T-Mobile's equipment installment plan since Google decided not to release them to the carriers.  Womp womp.

I was going to grab the LG V10. The battery life and size ultimately turned me off, though. It has all the same tech specs as the G4 save for the dual front facing cameras (I've taken 2 selfies in my entire life, i could give a f### about the front facing camera).  

I was going to grab the LG V10. The battery life and size ultimately turned me off, though. It has all the same tech specs as the G4 save for the dual front facing cameras (I've taken 2 selfies in my entire life, i could give a f### about the front facing camera).  

lol I'm with you on the selfies.  I saw the LGs at the store when I went to get a new SIM card, and they looked fantastic.  I've liked all my LG phones in the past, too (and LG makes both the N5 and the N5X), but my experience with the N5 was so positive that I didn't even consider another phone this time around.

lol I'm with you on the selfies. I saw the LGs at the store when I went to get a new SIM card, and they looked fantastic. I've liked all my LG phones in the past, too (and LG makes both the N5 and the N5X), but my experience with the N5 was so positive that I didn't even consider another phone this time around.

This is where I'm at. I had the G2. I love the buttons on the back of the phone and the double tap feature to turn the screen on and off. My wife wanted to switch back to Samsung, I just couldn't do it. You like what you like!

I'm not in love with the size most of the time, but it's nice for watching a little Netflix at night. I don't use my TV nearly as much as I used to, I'm really thinking about downsizing it if not for the cost.

• 4 months later...

So, I'm in the market for a new phone, and have about a $175 budget.  I'm with T-Mobile, so I could finance a new one, but to keep my bill within my budget, I'm looking at $10 or less per month.  This limits me to the Galaxy J7, Galaxy On5, LG K10, LG K7, or LG G4 (refurb). Nothing too spectacular.

I'm looking at a refurb Nexus 5, which I can get in my budget, just buying it outright  Would it be a better option to go with a new, mid-range phone, or an older Nexus?  Any input is welcome!

So, I'm in the market for a new phone, and have about a $175 budget.  I'm with T-Mobile, so I could finance a new one, but to keep my bill within my budget, I'm looking at $10 or less per month.  This limits me to the Galaxy J7, Galaxy On5, LG K10, LG K7, or LG G4 (refurb). Nothing too spectacular.

I'm looking at a refurb Nexus 5, which I can get in my budget, just buying it outright  Would it be a better option to go with a new, mid-range phone, or an older Nexus?  Any input is welcome!

I've been really happy with my Nexus 5X on Google's Project Fi. Having access to two different towers (T-Mobile and Sprint), and the flexibility of their data plan, has allowed me to have an excellent phone on a service that costs me less than $40/mo if I can keep my data usage down. I can't image having a phone that puts me in the price range you're looking at, but if you want to spend a little more per month Project Fi has been very good to me. I'll never go back to the major carriers. 

I've been really happy with my Nexus 5X on Google's Project Fi. Having access to two different towers (T-Mobile and Sprint), and the flexibility of their data plan, has allowed me to have an excellent phone on a service that costs me less than $40/mo if I can keep my data usage down. I can't image having a phone that puts me in the price range you're looking at, but if you want to spend a little more per month Project Fi has been very good to me. I'll never go back to the major carriers. 

I've looked into Project Fi briefly, but I have 6 lines on T-mobile and only pay around $135/month for everything.  Not sure I can swing that on Project Fi.

I have the Nexus 5X on T-Mo and love it, but unfortunately (as you probably already know) you can't finance it through them, so the cost is higher than your budget.  The Nexus 5 is still a great phone (I gave mine to my dad after 2 years and he's quite happy with it), but you may want to wait a couple of weeks to see if it's going to get the next OS update.  Rumors are that Android 7 / N (Nougat) will be released next month, and hard to say whether the N5 will get it or not, but Marshmallow (6) is still very solid if not.

I have the Nexus 5X on T-Mo and love it, but unfortunately (as you probably already know) you can't finance it through them, so the cost is higher than your budget.  The Nexus 5 is still a great phone (I gave mine to my dad after 2 years and he's quite happy with it), but you may want to wait a couple of weeks to see if it's going to get the next OS update.  Rumors are that Android 7 / N (Nougat) will be released next month, and hard to say whether the N5 will get it or not, but Marshmallow (6) is still very solid if not.

Good info.  Thanks!

Good info.  Thanks!

You're welcome!  Hopefully they'll continue to update the N5... my dad has been getting the monthly security updates (once he un-rooted his phone, anyhow), so that bodes well.  As long as it won't be quickly outdated it'd be a good pickup, IMO.  I don't know much about the others, but I switched to Nexus after HTC declined to further update my One S a mere 6 months after I got it, and I have to wonder if you might run into the same issue if you went with a mid-range branded phone... all depends on how new they are, I guess.

I'd suggest the Moto X as a budget option, but it stays pretty close to the Android base GUI, like the Nexus which you've said you don't prefer. I'm the other way, I want as little manufacturer BS on my phone as possible. Just give me straight Android. One of these days I have to get around to upgrading our phones, we're both using Samsung Galaxy Nexuses (Nexii?) which, for a 3+ year old phone is holding up better than expected but is on the border of not being useful.

Adding: I'm toying with the idea of a Blackberry Z30. Anyone have a newer Blackberry, as in something with a full touchscreen?

I have a Moto X 1st Edition and very happy with it. The reviews of the latest model sounds like have improved camera issues. As mentioned these phones are great as have very little bloatware. Yet to me the best thing is the latest Moto X Pure is truly universal and can be used on any of the major 4 US carriers and or their sub carriers that let you bring your own phone. Edited by The Jokeman

• 2 weeks later...

Does anybody here know anything about pre-paid plans, or pay-as-you-go plans? I have my Note as my primary phone, but I recently bought an LG G3 to use as an MVP/podcast player to use at the gym and to plug into my truck stereo. I'd like to add the ability to use the LG as an emergency phone in case anything ever happens to my Note but don't want a monthly plan. Just something with a handful of minutes, handful of texts and maybe some data. 

It's a T-Mobile phone, I see they have a pay as you go plan but there are very few details on the actual plans. 

Does anybody here know anything about pre-paid plans, or pay-as-you-go plans? I have my Note as my primary phone, but I recently bought an LG G3 to use as an MVP/podcast player to use at the gym and to plug into my truck stereo. I'd like to add the ability to use the LG as an emergency phone in case anything ever happens to my Note but don't want a monthly plan. Just something with a handful of minutes, handful of texts and maybe some data. 

It's a T-Mobile phone, I see they have a pay as you go plan but there are very few details on the actual plans. 

I think you're looking for a pre-paid SIM:

http://prepaid-phones.t-mobile.com/sim-card

I think you're looking for a pre-paid SIM:

http://prepaid-phones.t-mobile.com/sim-card

Thanks. Yeah that's what I was looking at earlier. It doesn't say much about the costs of the plans, but for $4 it won't hurt to register and see where it takes me.  

I didn't mention it is an unlocked phone so anything should work. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.